Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forced to do LCA

Options
  • 27-08-2008 1:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

one of my best friends is being forced to do lca but dosnt want to do it. he did ty last year and wanted to 5th year. the vice principal is forcing him to do lca. what should he say to vice in order to get out of it. i dont think the mother would have the brains to know what to say either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

o_O sounds a bit dodge to me... he can't be FORCED to do anything! If the school offers all the regular LC subjects then why can't he choose 7/8 of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Maybe it's a case that the school offers LCE (normal LC) one year and LCA the next year? (I know my school offers LCA to 5th year students every other year, so some years you have to do TY and others you can't, if you want LCA).
    If that's the case he might just have to move school?

I would advise something along the lines of, "I don't want to do LCA, because <insert reason here>"
    Some possible reasons:
    1. I want to go to a university via the CAO system, which LCA won't allow me to do.
    2. I am more academic than applied and would be more suited to the normal LC

And if they're trying to get him to do LCA because he has fared poorly in exams up till now;
    3. I know I haven't done well in exams but I am certain I will improve if you give me the opportunity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Nobody can force him to do anything.
    However, if his teachers are of the opinion that he would do better in LCA, then really he needs to think about why they would have that impression. His style of learning might be one that is suited to the LCA rather than LCE.

We had a very bright guy one year who thought (wrongly of course) that he would have a good old doss in LCA and sail through it because he was bright. He was advised by all teachers to do LCE but refused.
    Anyway, day of results he saunters in only to find he has failed because he failed to have 90% attendance and failed to hand up some key assignments and failed to attend a task interview. He scored very high marks on the written exams, but it wasn't enough. The moral of the story being, it's about different learning styles.

What career is your friend interested in? There are places that will take direct entry from LCA, but it depends on what he wants to do. In many cases it requires a PLC course between LCA and college, but everyone ends up with the same qualification in the end, so I wouldn't worry about taking an extra year.

If it's just that his school does not offer it, he can move school. If that is not an option and it looks like he will be doing the LCA, he needs to buckle down to it soon as possible. I think some key assignments are due in within a couple of weeks and those marks are marks from his LCA - no point deciding in a couple of months that he will start working.

If he really wants to do the LCE, he needs to think seriously and realistically about how he hopes to do.
    Will he be doing any subjects at Higher level? Will he be happy with five Ds at Ordinary Level? Would he be better off with a distinction or merit in the LCA?

I would love to weigh 8 stone, but some days I just have to accept that's probably not likely to happen. No amount of me 'wanting' it will make it happen.

Sometimes it's hard for us to realise that some of our friends are not as academically able as we are. I'm not saying this is the case with your friend, but it could be. There is a huge jump from JC to LC standard and sometimes it's hard for people to accept this.

Advertisement