Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Advise about TV purchase (Philips vs Samsung)

• 27-08-2008 1:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭

After looking at a lot TV's I have narrowed it down to 2 TV's I like (I want Full HD because I have SkyHD and BlueRay DVD) and I would like to have a 40" because that fits nicley in my living room

I can't make up my mind between the

Philips 42PFL7603D/10
    Samsung LE40A656A1F (Series 6)

While the Philips has the Amiblight the Samsung does 100 HZ which seams to be the best currently available.

Has anybody experience with either of these and could comment?

Thanks for your advise in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭ldusoswa

i had a similar dilemma but i sorted it out by reading online reviews... one comprehensive review of the philips is to be found at http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/review/2008/06/07/Philips-42PFL7603D-42in-LCD-TV/p5

Check out http://youtube.com/watch?v=MAZcDHIIXDs for a nice ambilight demo... Ambilight can be turned off if you want to...

anyways, the review says that even though this is a 50hz system, it way outperforms many/most 100hz systems thanks to philips' intelligent display engines...

BUT, if you're not sure you can compromise by ditching the ambilight and getting a philips 42PFL7403D which does pretty much everything the 603 does but at 100hz...

I however, having done my homework, am going for the ambilight 42PFL7603D version... i mean... just look at it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭RAFC

Looking at TVs myself, tonights Evening Echo has an advert for Hisense in Harvey Normans 32in HD Ready for €388 or 42in Full HD for €687 - anyone ever used Hisense products - All I know is that they are a Chinese product

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,617 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

does it have to be philips or samsung

if not this is probly the best tv around at the moment

Sony Bravia 40" LCD-TV KDL-40W4000
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=348388

better than the samsung 6 series tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Daz R1

Have the 50" Samsung myself and I have to say ,I couldnt love a human baby more:D , Id stay away from the Philips ,for two reason
    1. The "ambilight" will annoy the S**te out of ya after week
    2. And the most important ,Its a Philips !! Seriously dont touch it with a bardge pole no matter what ya buy .

The Sony is good and the Bravia range won a whole host of awards BUT your paying for the sony name ...... which is over the odds ,

"Stuff" gadget mag have two samsungs and a sony in there top ten and guess what make is not !!!! :p

And for the love of god STAY AWAY FROM THE "Hisense" .... dont even get me started on them ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

easily do a lot better than a philips or samsung e.g panasonic 1080p plasma or the sony as mentioned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭D/C

Good point on the sony, but for around a €100 more go for the kdl40w4500! Higher contrast ratio and 100hertz!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭ldusoswa

Daz R1 wrote: »
    Have the 50" Samsung myself and I have to say ,I couldnt love a human baby more:D , Id stay away from the Philips ,for two reason
    1. The "ambilight" will annoy the S**te out of ya after week
    2. And the most important ,Its a Philips !! Seriously dont touch it with a bardge pole no matter what ya buy .

The Sony is good and the Bravia range won a whole host of awards BUT your paying for the sony name ...... which is over the odds ,

"Stuff" gadget mag have two samsungs and a sony in there top ten and guess what make is not !!!! :p

And for the love of god STAY AWAY FROM THE "Hisense" .... dont even get me started on them ...

That's a bit general about philips products... Sony's customer service is shocking, and my local harvey norman guy said that they get many many sony returns..

Besides that, you can turn off ambilight, and i agree that cheaper philips products suck... these tvs have a pretty safe record though...

read the reviews... And also, just because 'a samsung' makes it into a top 10 list doesnt mean that all samsungs are golden. Every make has a high end and a low end... I wouldn't advise buying low end, and i deffo wouldn't advise buying top end because you pay far too much.

This philips comes in at only 1100 quid if you shop around online... that's fantastic for a tv that gets such good reviews...

i'm glad you're happy about your tv purchase, but it doesn't render other tvs obsolete...

the op obviously did some homework and narrowed it down to these two tvs, so i would suggest picking between them, or telling him negatives about either one, but please don't turn this into another generic 'which tv do i buy' rant...

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I work in an electrical shop and very seldom do I see Sony LCD's get returned. Their short-lived plasma range were unreliable and pretty crap from the outset, but the LCD range is definitely the opposite. I do agree that Sony service is not the best though.

Philips were pretty bad with their CRT TV's and according to a service agent, their LCD's aren't any better.

Personal order of preference would be Panasonic, Sony, Samsung.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

does it have to be philips or samsung

if not this is probly the best tv around at the moment

Sony Bravia 40" LCD-TV KDL-40W4000
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=348388

better than the samsung 6 series tbh

+1

I have the 32" version and love it. It really is one of the best LCDs in the market at present and beats the Phillips and Samsung overall.

Advertisement