Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT - OMSP appeal, anyone been successful

Options
  • 27-08-2008 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭

There is an interesting article in the motoring section of todays Irish Times which got me thinking. Having just brought over a 2006 520D M Sport BMW and paying €9,100 for nought I thought I might lodge an appeal against the OMSP as its only going to cost me a bit of time and a stamp.

The article states that less than 1% of people appeal against the VRT calculations of The Revenue. But get this - over 75% of appeals are successful.

Has anyone been successful in appealing? If so how did you go about getting the required evidence to support that the OMSP is overinflated?

I was thinking of a two pronged attack. Firstly to appeal against the OMSP itself based on the market values of similar cars on carzone and autotrader.ie. I was also going to play on the fact that the bottom has fallen out of the used car market and how many dealers won't take trade ins, plus the liquidations going on which are further evidence of the 2nd hand value of cars being over inflated. Then I was going to appeal against their calculations of the extras I got stung with. When I went into Santry the helpful chap there could only read my mileage and check the chassis number of the car against the logbook. He didn't look at the car at all so had no idea for example if I had sat nav or any of the usual extras. Instead he just forwarded the details to another branch of The Revenue who somehow managed to calculate that I had another €400 of VRT due for the extras based on never seeing the car! Apparently they go onto some website I was advised by the young chap in Santry. How they know what the car had and its value given that each and every BMW is spec'd differently is beyond me. When asked for a breakdown the next day at Santry they were unable to give me anything as you guessed it - its another department.

So wish me luck but in the meantime if anyone has any experiences they wish to share I would welcome them.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Search the forum, I'm pretty sure there was one or two cases of people on here appealing it and being successful. I'd say you have a good shout as its fairly easy to see a realistic OMSP by looking at car websites and/or ringing a few dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭lynchie

basill wrote: »
    There is an interesting article in the motoring section of todays Irish Times which got me thinking. Having just brought over a 2006 520D M Sport BMW and paying €9,100 for nought I thought I might lodge an appeal against the OMSP as its only going to cost me a bit of time and a stamp.

The article states that less than 1% of people appeal against the VRT calculations of The Revenue. But get this - over 75% of appeals are successful.

Has anyone been successful in appealing? If so how did you go about getting the required evidence to support that the OMSP is overinflated?

I was thinking of a two pronged attack. Firstly to appeal against the OMSP itself based on the market values of similar cars on carzone and autotrader.ie. I was also going to play on the fact that the bottom has fallen out of the used car market and how many dealers won't take trade ins, plus the liquidations going on which are further evidence of the 2nd hand value of cars being over inflated. Then I was going to appeal against their calculations of the extras I got stung with. When I went into Santry the helpful chap there could only read my mileage and check the chassis number of the car against the logbook. He didn't look at the car at all so had no idea for example if I had sat nav or any of the usual extras. Instead he just forwarded the details to another branch of The Revenue who somehow managed to calculate that I had another €400 of VRT due for the extras based on never seeing the car! Apparently they go onto some website I was advised by the young chap in Santry. How they know what the car had and its value given that each and every BMW is spec'd differently is beyond me. When asked for a breakdown the next day at Santry they were unable to give me anything as you guessed it - its another department.

So wish me luck but in the meantime if anyone has any experiences they wish to share I would welcome them.

Revenue in Rosslare have access to BMW's system and input the vin number. Up pops the list of all the extras that were originally ordered with the car. Doesn't matter if it came with sat nav, but you decided to rip it out as you don't want it, you still get charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Thanks for that. I was wondering how they worked that bit out. The young guy at Santry made it out as if they just went onto the bmw.com website and guessed. Still how they work out the value of the extras and what people like glasses or parkers think will be poles apart me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I imported a BMW recently an i got hit for all the extras. My car had a comfort pack I think it was, cost a couple of hundred sterling in the UK, however they don't have a similar pack in Ireland so I was charged the VRT on 950 euros, the cost of fitting an extras on an Irish car.

the had the exact extras for my car without a physical examination, they must have access to BMW's systems.

So extras that might be reasonable in the UK, actually could come with a heafty VRY bill as in the Irish market extras are a lot more expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Re my post here -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055321510

My friend recieved a cheque on monday for €780 from revenue for his appeal,it was short of the cost of repair but something none the less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

dingding wrote: »
    I imported a BMW recently an i got hit for all the extras. My car had a comfort pack I think it was, cost a couple of hundred sterling in the UK, however they don't have a similar pack in Ireland so I was charged the VRT on 950 euros, the cost of fitting an extras on an Irish car.

You got away lightly. IIRC, the Comfort Pack in the 5-Series was three and a half grand!

I'm presuming it's a 5-Series and the pack includes multi-spoke wheels and full leather?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

AudiChris wrote: »
    You got away lightly. IIRC, the Comfort Pack in the 5-Series was three and a half grand!

I'm presuming it's a 5-Series and the pack includes multi-spoke wheels and full leather?

It was a one series and included cruise control, dimming mirrirs and rain activated wipers I think. Sorry comfort pack might not be the correct name for the pack. Only added about 150 VRT so it was OK.

Advertisement