Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help with buying a car please!

Options
  • 27-08-2008 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    looking for opinions here. I took a 03 BMW 320 out for a test drive and loved it. I agreed a price with the seller (private) on provision it check out after my mechanic give it an inspection.
    So I got the bank draft and waited for the report.
    My mechanic told me:
    • it's been in a tip (but the chassy is fine; no major damage)
    • front lights were replaced with non bmw parts (bosch)
    • possible replaced bumper & bonnet
    • rear tyres need changed
    • last 4 entries of service history were done on the same day by the same person
    He did a diagnostic and it was fine.
    And he finished up by saying "i wouldn't let that put you off if you were getting the right price (discount)".

Am I mad for even considering it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Zulu wrote: »

Put it this way - if you had a car and you tipped it with the same results - would you think some one else would be mad to buy your car from you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Nope, it's the service history that has me worried.
    Last service was NOV 06. (and this was one of the four that were same day, same person, same pen)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'd walk away based on the false service history. If people are lying about that, what else will they lie about.

Don't forget you'll have to sell this car at some point and if someone asks you about the service history, what will you say?

If you're going ahead with it, get the price reduced by the cost of a set of tyres and then ask for a discount for the bogey service history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

If you buy so new and expensive car a full service history and NTC is a must,

no point otherwise,

if you would be buying a old banger then service history does not matter too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Hey folks,
    looking for opinions here. I took a 03 BMW 320 out for a test drive and loved it. I agreed a price with the seller (private) on provision it check out after my mechanic give it an inspection.
    So I got the bank draft and waited for the report.

My mechanic told me:
    • it's been in a tip (but the chassy is fine; no major damage)
    • front lights were replaced with non bmw parts (bosch)
    • possible replaced bumper & bonnet
    • rear tyres need changed
    • last 4 entries of service history were done on the same day by the same person
    He did a diagnostic and it was fine.
    And he finished up by saying "i wouldn't let that put you off if you were getting the right price (discount)".

If it is a dealer service history you can ring BMW and they'll tell you if its factual. BMW's can be clocked so a dodgy service history sets alarm bells ringing.

• Advertisement

what do you reckon would be a compensation for the service history? 1K
    I get the impression the seller is legit, I just think they got scammed over the water when they bought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

it's been in a tip (but the chassy is fine; no major damage)
    If you go to sell it later, will you tell the next buyer this? Will they pay you less?
    last 4 entries of service history were done on the same day by the same person
    It's possible that the work was done on schedule, but nobody stamped up the book at the time, and the seller went around to get the history updated when he came to sell. Does he have original receipts? Does the garage that did the work have dated records?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭colsers22

what do you reckon would be a compensation for the service history? 1K
    I get the impression the seller is legit, I just think they got scammed over the water when they bought.

If he was scammed unknowingly, that's his problem. No reason for you to take it off his hands. I would definitely walk away from this. There's enough in your OP to make anyone walk away..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There are plenty of these cars around for sale and it's a buyer's market at the moment so why settle for one that has a questionable service history.

Just step back for a moment and put aside the euforia of a nice new car and think it through with your head rather than your heart.

If the car has a questionable service history then what is to say that the mileage among other things is genuine? Maybe you can get the chassis number/old UK reg and get a HPI check done on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

run away. there are plenty of other choices.

out of interest, how cheap are we talking, and is it a 320i or 320d?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

+1

not like there is a shortage

320ci sport for 18500

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

for a 2003 with that description. are you mental?

you'll get 04 and 05 models for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

colm_mcm wrote: »
    run away. there are plenty of other choices.

out of interest, how cheap are we talking, and is it a 320i or 320d?

Lol +1

Pleny out there, just have a look on www.carzone.ie and check 03, 04 and 05. There are plenty there, all at reasonable prices. I'm sure you will find one with a genuine history and that hasn't been crashed for that money. Don't buy it now and be kicking yourself in a few weeks time.

And that's a 1000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭audismelly

bazz26 wrote: »
    There are plenty of these cars around for sale and it's a buyer's market at the moment so why settle for one that has a questionable service history.

Just step back for a moment and put aside the euforia of a nice new car and think it through with your head rather than your heart.

If the car has a questionable service history then what is to say that the mileage among other things is genuine? Maybe you can get the chassis number/old UK reg and get a HPI check done on it?

heed this advice.

thanks a million for the advice folks. A nights sleep has provided me with a clearer mind. Thanks a million again folks.

Advertisement