Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Student Centre

Options
  • 27-08-2008 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭

So whats the story with the new S.Centre? Has ground been broken yet? When is it supposed to be open?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

It's finished... obviously it was downscaled a bit in the final version... It's in the bushes beside the road and opposite cafe Brava if you look there... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Nice Tayto, nice.

It will be another few year before it is finished, no work has started on it as of yet

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

Tayto2000 wrote: »
    It's finished... obviously it was downscaled a bit in the final version... It's in the bushes beside the road and opposite cafe Brava if you look there... ;)
    what is that thing actually?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

elgriff wrote: »
    what is that thing actually?
    You mean the enterence to the tunnels?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

No there is a new small building beside brava. Unfortunately its not a new studio for a full time radio station. And no the Student Center is expected to be built in 2010 as far as I know. But you can come back and use it at a reduced fee once you finish paying for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

Grimes wrote: »
    No there is a new small building beside brava. Unfortunately its not a new studio for a full time radio station. And no the Student Center is expected to be built in 2010 as far as I know. But you can come back and use it at a reduced fee once you finish paying for it.
    thanks for clarifying what it is not. It is also not the new base for NASA. Anyone else care to add?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

It's the sire office for the new student centre. They expect to break ground around June afaik. It's got funding for a 50m pool and I heard that students who paid for it but won't be students when it's finished (ie most of us!) will get a free 6 moth membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

dajaffa wrote: »
    It's the sire office for the new student centre. They expect to break ground around June afaik. It's got funding for a 50m pool and I heard that students who paid for it but won't be students when it's finished (ie most of us!) will get a free 6 moth membership.

Wow only €450/600 for SIX whole months free membership!
    What a bargain :rolleyes:

I think it would have been far more equitable to pay for the student centre via a big fat loan and pay it back via a student center levy on students after it was built.

ie rather than makeing those who wont use it pay for it for future generations, get a loan and repay it via the students who will reap the benifits [sic].

There would also be the added advantage that as there is no hurry on raising the dosh the levy could be greatly reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Who decided that it should be paid for that way? If it was a SU referendum then is there any chance we can have another referendum this year to abolish the payment.
    I have no interest in paying for something that I won't use and I'm sure about 80-90% of the student body does either.

• Advertisement

afaik the referendum was, to paraphrase,
    are you in favour of a new student centre (as detailed X), to be paid for via a student centre levy to be X in year 1, Y in year 2 etc

I did a quick google but didnt see it. If you asked over on ucdsu.ie someone would have the wording, if you can still access the newswire achives it should be easy to find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I like how all they're going to have a building with all the things it'd be nice to have, but we don't necessarily need. Isn't there going to be a sauna in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭Sarn

What's new, the original student centre was paid for by students who never got to use it and that was on top of some of them paying fees (and weren't even offered a cup of hot water).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

elgriff wrote: »
    thanks for clarifying what it is not. It is also not the new base for NASA. Anyone else care to add?

lol .

Advertisement