Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New kitty goodness!

Options
  • 27-08-2008 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭

Well i finally got a cat (long backstory involving terrified mother) but as i have my own place now i get my own pet! :D

So bein a new kitty owner i dont know much so am here for any advice i can get. Like i was told not to give her milk all the time its meant to be water with milk occasionally for a treat is this right? Should say kitty is 8-9 weeks old.

She gets very aggressive running around alot and gets herself worked up and tries to scratch, how do i teach her not to scratch?

Also what i am doin is basically keepin her food and water dish say half full and then when they are low toppin them up, is this good or bad for her?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Hi, congrats on your new little friend.

8 weeks is a bit too young for it to be away from its mother & siblings - they would be the best ones to teach it not to scratch. But as you have it now, you should just yelp and remove yourself from it whenever it scratches and it will learn it gets no fun or attention by doing that.

Thats about right on the food & water front. There is loads of info on this thread on how to care for a new kitten so have a read through and if you have any other specific questions, post again and I'm sure you'll get some advice.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055348508

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

GAAman wrote: »

She gets very aggressive running around alot and gets herself worked up and tries to scratch, how do i teach her not to scratch?

Also what i am doin is basically keepin her food and water dish say half full and then when they are low toppin them up, is this good or bad for her?
    I wouldnt call this aggression, shes probably full of beans and gettin herself over excited and playful...she'll grow out of it!
    No need to give milk, water is suffice. Or a bit of Whiskas kitten milk every now and again would be good.
    MsFifers wrote: »
    Hi, congrats on your new little friend.

8 weeks is a bit too young for it to be away from its mother & siblings
    It s a tad on the young side, but she'll do fine dont worry. Generally the more time with the mammy the more manners they get ;) same for us i suppose haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

anniehoo wrote: »
    Or a bit of Whiskas kitten milk every now and again would be good.

Yeah this is the milk i was on about i gave her some this mornin and she lapped it up like it was gonna evaporate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Best thing to tire out and teach a kitten bite/scratch inhibition is another kitten :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

sounds like her behaviour is just kitty fun:D
    To stop her scratching you could get a scratching post but kittens rarely scratch where they are ment to.

As for food and water, always keep her water bowl full. Food only put out as much as she needs (as per instructions on the packet) but spread it out through the day (three times a day if you can).

Cats at that age dont need milk, if they are on a "complete" diet it has everything they need ... and you need to check the packaging says "complete" and not anyother word. You can give a little milk no and again but it usually ends up as a bad case of the mars bars:eek:.

have fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭la79

Hi,
    I have just got a kitten around the same age. And she is doing fine, I have been told to just give her water aswell.

Just wondering, do they drink much, it doesnt seem my kitten is drinking anything???
    Also she has a slight eye infection, which I got drops for, and it is not clearing up, she is crying a lot, and I feel so sorry for her.

Anyone know what I could do?

la79 wrote: »
    Hi,
    wrote:
    Just wondering, do they drink much, it doesnt seem my kitten is drinking anything???
    Cats dont drink like a dog would. They do drink very little. The best thing is to gently pinch the scruff of its neck, this tests for dehydration. The skin should fall straight back into place if shes ok or if it stays standing or very slow to move back could indicate dehydration. Sometimes its hard to tell so a vet is your best bet.
    wrote:
    Also she has a slight eye infection, which I got drops for, and it is not clearing up, she is crying a lot, and I feel so sorry for her.
    Eye infections could take a week or so with drops to clear. She may have a touch of cat flu which causes runny eyes and will need to see the vet for anti-bs most likely if it doesnt clear. If its a conjunctivitis on its own, persist with the drops and if no better in a week off to the vet with her.

thx for the advise, It is a nightmare trying to get the drops in to her eyes, but she is letting me clean them..

How would I know if it was the cat flu, what other symtoms would she show?

Sneezing,wheezing,general lethargy and can cause opaqueness/blindness in the eye if left untreated! Where did you get the drops from and what exactly is in them?

She doesnt have any of those symtoms, so I guess it is an eye infection. I got the drops from a pharmasist, they are brolene drops, she said they should be okay to give a kitten, as they are used to treat infections in children.

I was just looking at them now, and they seem to be a little better.

do you think they are okay to use?

• Advertisement

Hi,
    I have just got a kitten around the same age. And she is doing fine, I have been told to just give her water aswell.

Anyone know what I could do?

Make sure they are antibiotic drops not just saline. She sounds like she may have an eye infection. Also what is good for eye infections is cold tea... yes you heard right lol. put a tea bag into some warm water and let it cool. Get cotton wool and dab a little on it then just wipe the eye, always remember to use a different cotton wool ball for each eye .. dont want to spread any infection.

Tea has a wonderful but mild anit bacterial quality as well as helping to dry out any stickyness.

She doesnt have any of those symtoms, so I guess it is an eye infection. I got the drops from a pharmasist, they are brolene drops, she said they should be okay to give a kitten, as they are used to treat infections in children.

I was just looking at them now, and they seem to be a little better.

do you think they are okay to use?

Brolene drops are just saline with amonia to help clear out some bacteria, while they wouldnt be an antibiotic its the next best thing, so if its clearing keep going, but if not the vets can give some Fucithalmic eye drops.

Hi thx for the advise,

I have a little girl, and I have done it so many times with her.

I actually for a special tea in the chemist and they said it would work better, so I will try that later.

One of my eyes is getting sore now, I am affraid I am catching it, I hope I am just imagining it....

Brolene drops are just saline with amonia to help clear out some bacteria, while they wouldnt be an antibiotic its the next best thing, so if its clearing keep going, but if not the vets can give some Fucithalmic eye drops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

There should be a new rule for this forum, instant ban for anybody that starts a thread like this without posting pics of the kitty!
    Make with the pics!:p

haha, I agree...

I will upload one later, and post it...

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

If she has an eye infection, get some camomile teabags. Put one in boiling water & leave to cool. (Never, ever use water that hasn't been boiled, it's full of bacteria.) Leave to cool, dip some cotton wool in it & wipe the eye with it. Different ball for other eye. If it's not cleared up in a day or so, go to your vets, they'll give you fucithalmic ointment. Do not take any other eyedrops from them (i.e. maxitrol) they are steroids & are not for kittens.

tman wrote: »
    There should be a new rule for this forum, instant ban for anybody that starts a thread like this without posting pics of the kitty!
    Make with the pics!:p

You know i was gonna post pics but thought it would make me look like a softie :D

sleepycat.jpg

whatyoulookinat.jpg

Ah that is so cute...

You know i was gonna post pics but thought it would make me look like a softie :D

sleepycat.jpg

whatyoulookinat.jpg

thx, I have been doing all of that, poor kitten keeps running from me now, she seems a lot better today, and only had a slight watery eye this morning, it didnt look all goey like before....fingers crossed it is getting better...:)

cotton wrote: »
    If she has an eye infection, get some camomile teabags. Put one in boiling water & leave to cool. (Never, ever use water that hasn't been boiled, it's full of bacteria.) Leave to cool, dip some cotton wool in it & wipe the eye with it. Different ball for other eye. If it's not cleared up in a day or so, go to your vets, they'll give you fucithalmic ointment. Do not take any other eyedrops from them (i.e. maxitrol) they are steroids & are not for kittens.

make me look like a softie :D
    Hehe...yeh ya are....but thats a good thing :D
    V cute kittie!Altogether now....aaawwwwhhh!!!

• Advertisement

:o:D;) shhhh you!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Cute little thing... Wish that I was in the position to get a kitten now:(

My poor kitten has tea stains around her eyes, I used the t-bags to see if that helped, and now she has it around her eyes, I have cleaned them a few times with cotton wool and warm water, but it wont come off. Her face is white...well not anymore....

HELP...she does look funny though..

My poor kitten has tea stains around her eyes, I used the t-bags to see if that helped, and now she has it around her eyes, I have cleaned them a few times with cotton wool and warm water, but it wont come off. Her face is white...well not anymore....

HELP...she does look funny though..
    ha ha ha ha ha ha rofl haha ha
    oh i didnt half wet myself when i read this lol
    It will come off dont worry Remember to rince off with a cotton ball of normal water straight after the tea rinse. Sorry i should have said that first.

LOL

AAAAWWWWWHHHHH

• Registered Users Posts: 35 catmad

GAAman what a gorgeous kitten you have there. Keep posting the piccies.

Hi All,

Kitten is much better, t bag stains are gone...poor thing...I will have to post a pic, she is so cute...

GAAman sorry for hijacking your thread...

catmad wrote: »
    GAAman what a gorgeous kitten you have there. Keep posting the piccies.

One attached now (she yawnin after a nap)
    GAAman sorry for hijacking your thread...

No bother, as long as the kitty is better :)

Ha ha she looks like shes doin Borats "Hiiiiiigh Fiiiiiiive"!!!

• Advertisement

She is a lot better thx, she is under my feet at the moment, she follows me everywhere..

will get a pic up later.

One attached now (she yawnin after a nap)

No bother, as long as the kitty is better :)

Advertisement