Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

carlow based web radio station

• 27-08-2008 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

im thinking of setting up a 24/7 web based carlow radio station. i work in IT and I have all the bits and bobs I need or the job ... everything that is except people interested in working with me on it.

Im lookng to have the running of the 'station' web based (hopefully) so to DJ (WJ?) all one would need to do is log in. Im looking at a solution that would run fro a central server so you'd upload anything you;d want to play in advance with the advantage being that you could then DJ from whereever you wanted as long as you had an internet connection and a computer. Obviously if you had a few cds with you you could still upload them to the central server even when you'd be doing a show.

Anyway - I working on the technical end of it. At the minute theres a few shows I can run (check out http://www.radiocrackle.com - i run that too and theres archives there) plus there'd be a carlow paranormal show plus an unsigned band show.

lets for the minute ignore the technical needs etc of doing this and lets also state that if you show any interest in this thread it doesnt mean you;re being tied to doing anything ... Im just trying to roughly guage if theres any interest in carlow for this tpe of thing and also if theres any prospective djs out there willing to host a 30 min show on music, politics, art, gaming .. anything.

Im aiming at a setup that will let us run either playlisted material or live shows so theres always the option if you cant tie down a time to do a show, to do a pre-prepared playlisted one that just kicks off at the right time.

Anyway - forget about the technical end ... anyone any interest in this kind of thing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

Heres a couple of community based show ideas ive been thinking of:

1) The local council ...... talk to various council members (skype is a great way of doing recorded interviews over the internet) about local issues being raised by local people .. things like traffic systems, roundabouts plus all the things mentioned in the hate/love carlow thread

2) local councillors - same idea as above. take questions from the public - questions people always want to ask but never seem to ask - and put them to local politicians

the above two shows would be community related and the idea would be to try and get some answers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

How does the legal side of things work when playing music on the radio?

as far as the web is concerned, thats a very gray area.

technically any band represented by IMRO and played means you have to provide imro with the info and they will then charge you for playing the bands. thats the way its always been but the internet poses weird legal questions.

if you, say, take a Walls song on myspace, or FKOS or whoever - and put it on your own blog, or link to a youtube video of a band etc .. then you are technically still meant to contact IMRO or whoever looks after their royalties and pay money. theres been a bit of a doo daa over on downloadmusic.ie about the same thing as IMRO apparently insisted they get every band who are regiered with IMRO on downloadmusic to agree to let imro collect their money etc etc.

Basically I dont think the finer details are worked out when it comes to web based radio but Im sure if they wanted to they'd make the same copyright rules apply.

feck it, we could be pirates.

Still and all, i usually avoid the whole thing by concentrating on irish unsigned bands and sending them a quick email to let them know they're being played. normally avoids any problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

As before, and before and before (!), Id be interested in helping out.

cool - see if you can work out what you could do .... do a show maybe?

Im hoping this time it'll much simpler than before. it all should be web based.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I used to run a radio called IceRadio, but we shut up shop due to new laws which were against pirate radio stations playing the usual radio songs etc. - legally you must pay loyalties, even for web based.

its jus easier playing unsigned bands and sending them an email - plus its much more interesting as normal radio plays all the commercial stuff anyway

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

iamhunted wrote: »
    its jus easier playing unsigned bands and sending them an email - plus its much more interesting as normal radio plays all the commercial stuff anyway

Ya that is good, might be able to wangle some free promotion out of them also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

Man i read the post and i've been looking to do something like this for a while now, basically i'd like to do a sports show. I think it would be a lot of fun but also i think people are getting more and more into sports talk shows in ireland. So basically if you think this would be a show you would think about hosting get back to me :)

im farfing about with the software at the minute so as soon as I have test server up and running I'll post the link in here ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

cool when everytthing is ready why not set up a meeting

i am going to do this in 09 for definite. anyone interested in being a DJ will need web radio software, thats the only thing. PM me.

as far as shows go, we have one on the paranormal and we'll have one on unsigned bands (as far as music goes, its probably best to only use music with permission as it would be a breach of copyright otherwise as we arent paying IMRO).

How about that sports show? and anyone else up for doing something?

theres a test stream currently running - http://radiocrackle.com:8000/listen.pls - that should open in your favourite mp3 player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

wooh! ya finally getting this up and running then! you should try after hours coz theres more people viewing there. probably even more carlow people tbh.

the stream is off at present as Im messing about with it. I have the live end running for a while, what Im working on is the automatic stream to play pre-recorded shows when theres no live show going.

So far I have one music show (unsigned bands), one paranormal sow (leinster paranormal) and one special interests show (anti-bloodsports) - but it'll be Feb at least before we get some form of schedule together.

Im going to keep the idea in here until I get it running proper, so if anyone wants to run a show and is in the carlow area, we can use my shed - ahem, I mean studio - as a base and I'll look after all the technical stuff.

I have a test stream with about 18 hours of shows we already recorded running at:

http://radiocrackle.com/testplay/

It plays through an embedded player so it should be accessible by all without any flaffing about. I'll be severly modifying that player though and building it into a newer design.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

Hi again, I would really be interested in doing some kinda sports show is possible, not sure what form it would take as of yet but idealy it would be a combination of local news and global sports. I think it would be soccer intensive as that would be my personal passion but i'm into most sports so it would reflect that too.

I work in carlow so that obviously isn't a problem location wise!

nice one tom. a show doesnt have to be long (min 15 mins) and it can be once a month or so - or whatever suits.

As I say, I have everything here so if you want to try a show I can produce and look after everything but the show's presenting and content.

heres an update:

I'm having various bitrate problems with files which Im sorting, so there are glitches - plus I have to finish up an actual site design but heres whats done so far:

http://raid.radiocrackle.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

if your still looking, i am interesting in djing, have done it on different websites, just leave it there....
    there...

definitely looking for DJs - drop me a PM with the details of what kind of show you want to do and all that malarky.

• Advertisement

will drop you a line in a few, my internetz are being ghey tonight.....

Live music show on Raid Radio tonight at 10pm GMT

its 10pm gmt. and no "live" broadcast.....

humf...

lol

having terrible issues with connection righ tnow - of all fecken times. Meant to have a mb upload and I have 32k right now. Trying to get the stream to run (its down to 16k mono at the minute) without skipping. its running live at the minute playing an old show so Im just watching it for 20 mins or so to make sure it doesnt skip too much (its doing it right now the git)

The podcast will be of better quality but the live stream will be pretty mp3-ish

is the stream accessible i cant find the link if it is....

it streams direct from http://raid.radiocrackle.com in the little player (its playing an old show 'live' from this machine at present which it pulls directly from shoutcast) or open http://www.radiocrackle.com:8000/listen.pls in itunes (anything but windows media). my connection is so bad posting on here causes glitches in the web stream

well i can access the pls link, but the box on the site is just a white box to me...

needs flash 8

if its cool can i skype into the show?

• Advertisement

normally yes, but with this current conection speed I have it wouldnt work - the thing will barely handle a 16 k upload stream right now. if things improve int he next 30 minutes and my connection goes even halfway back to normal then we could do that alright

thats cool, everything seems to be improving slowing on my end anyway, the buffering seems to have become less intermitint, lets hope everyone is off the internet except the listeners of this radio station

wow - the connection is back to normal - test stream is at 64k but theres still a bit of skipping. i'll be on skype in about 20 mins - cormacs is the username

I jsut want to make sure the connection doesnt go crap again

we should try that skype experiment again soon mark .... theres now 18 hours of shows playing and I *think* the thing will stay up 24/7 now - bar a minute every 18 hours when the thing restarts itself.

Also, there a link to the new chat part at http://raid.radiocrackle.com as well.

... http://raid.radiocrackle.com has now been updated with a small popup player which makes it handier to listen and surf at the same time!

iamhunted wrote: »
    we should try that skype experiment again soon mark .... theres now 18 hours of shows playing and I *think* the thing will stay up 24/7 now - bar a minute every 18 hours when the thing restarts itself.

Also, there a link to the new chat part at http://raid.radiocrackle.com as well.

give me a time and place baby....

• Advertisement

iim thinking a show on tuesday 9pm and a test and chat via skype sometime sunday ....... whatcha think?

Looking at the stats we're getting about 10 or so listeners a day (which isnt bad considering I only got the last of the gremlins sorted out last night) and one coincidental thing Ive noticed is most tune out when the mike and keef show is on ... heheh .. so we need new shows to replace those with ....

Digiweb still havent sorted out the terrible upload speed (15k today) so if its still like that on tuesday, we'll just pre-record it rather than do a live show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

I'd really like to know if im listening to a live show or something pre-recorded..
    (Not the most helpful comment i know,) but im listening now and most listeners would like to know

Edit: dont mess with the reverb button..

at the minute they're all pre-recored until we get some live shows on the go but the idea behind it is a bit like normal radio when you cant really be sure if the show is 'live' live or just a recording of a live broadcast.

It all depends on how many shows we can get going live, but when they are live I'll make sure theres info on the main site (and I'll spam as many forums as I can).

The shows playing though are old though .. they need to be replaced with either live shows or recordings of new live shows.

Theres also an archive link there as well, plus once apple get back to me there'll be a podcast link too.

I blame that Cormac feller for that reverb

sunday/tues sounds good, on sun, though, it will have to be late afternoon, as im in all day sunday, in work. pre recorded/not pre recorded its all cool...

• Advertisement

im available now, hunted, if you want to do a test broadcast....

ive less than 2k upload at the minute so neither a live broadcast nor skype will work. feck you digiweb! Im off to send my 4th email of complaint in as many days

my god! where are you? you must be miles from the exchange?

nope - just out in crossneen. never had such a problem until the last few weeks.

exactly, when you need it most, it buggers it self.

i've no idea if this has anything to do with it. doubtful - but at the same time Im getting no replies from digiweb which makes me think they know of the problem but are waiting until it sorts itself out.

omg, i hope not, maybe this is the truth about digiweb....

i honestly dont think that affected ireland though. download is perfect but hte upload is really bad. hopefully this will get sorted out soon as Im itching to get broadcast some more ;)

my dj hand, i cant keep it under control.....

come on digiweb!!!

any word from digiweb? whats happening?

• Advertisement
Advertisement