Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

surfing in australia

Options
  • 27-08-2008 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

hi guys,

bit of a generalisation, i know, but is the vibe in the water far more territorial in sydney area than in melbourne. I've read that marboura is a no-go area when it's crowded(with locals), but there must a whole loada good breaks north and south of syd. Im trying to decide in which city to stay for a few months. Also, ive been to Bali and on a crowded day in Kuta or Dreamland, there can be 30 people out, this more or less the same in bondi?(not that it's a 5 star wave).

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

hi guys,

bit of a generalisation, i know, but is the vibe in the water far more territorial in sydney area than in melbourne. I've read that marboura is a no-go area when it's crowded(with locals), but there must a whole loada good breaks north and south of syd. Im trying to decide in which city to stay for a few months. Also, ive been to Bali and on a crowded day in Kuta or Dreamland, there can be 30 people out, this more or less the same in bondi?(not that it's a 5 star wave).

cheers

I'm a beginner so it may not be valuable advice but anyway.. My brother lives in Sydney and surfs a bit (Manly usually), but when we visited him we went down the coast South of Sydney and surfed in loads of places along the way. All small towns with very few international tourists, more of a short break holiday spot for Aussies.
    Beaches are seriously uncrowded and the surfing was really good. It's an area that an Australian friend recommended and he says it's a hidden gem, even from most Australians.
    I can't remember all the place names but we had a great day surfing on 7 mile beach which is around Gerringong / Gerroa area and surprisingly enough, goes on for about 7 miles!!
    The furthest we went was about 4 hrs South of Sydney, but can't remember the name of it.

You are right about Maroubra in that it has a bad name for the locals attitude towards 'non-locals'. I don't know if its dangerous, but they are not welcoming anyway..
    Another nice beach is Dee Why which is on the North Shore of Sydney. Pretty quiet place as well considering its nicer than Bondi.! Only reason it's quieter than Manly is cause it's too far to walk from the Ferry.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭saltrock2007

cheers, from what i've read, and it's a pretty universal thing, the farther afield you go the less crowds etc. wouldn't mind surfing the local spots, guess with a bit of good manners it'd be ok

Advertisement