Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agricultural science - Farm Visit !!!

Options
  • 27-08-2008 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

so i have to do a project in ag science for the LC! we have to go to a farm look around take pics and all dat! Does ANY1 know where i could find a farm to go to??????? i live in dublin, never been on a farm im my life, have no relations who are farmers or even know one ! SURELY someONE has an idea where i could do my project>????????????????:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 The Weasel

We were brought to Ballyhaise Ag. colllege in cavan- really good.. Not sure about insurance and stuff though.. Ask for John Lynch, if its a runner he'll sort it out.. After that theres Lyons estate in Dublin, UCD Vet students use it, so if you call the estate itself they might be able to organise some sort of guided tour for you... After that you may befriend a farmer somewhere!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 polevault

Hi there,

I would prob suggest ballyhaise is your better option, i spent a bit of time in Lyons during my college days and for an ag science tour it prob would be a bit over your head, you dont need to know about embryo transfer and research of methane and all that bull that goes on out there. There does be quite alot of schools to ballyhaise for open days during the school year and also you could go yourself. John Lynch will put you in with another school for the tour i think. It would be a good idea to bring someone with you, say a big bro or sister or parent so the two of you can work on and take notes from whoever is talking about the farming systems because it is a new experience for you and chances are you wont understand alot of the stuff they take for granted. This way both of you can jot down things and compare notes at the end.
    I gave a talk to a school there from dub last year and they seemed to get a good understanding of how to get their projects sorted. They seemed happy enough. Have you any idea on what you want to do your project on. One word of advice to these LC agri projects, google rubbish is getting very common and very noticable, it is temping to google everything and type it out in your own words, with the increase of ag science students over the past two years i would suggest something simple, clear and genuine will get you the A much easier than something complicated and scientific. Also eat the farmer's journal news paper from cover to cover every week. You could get the makings of an excellent project out of that!.

Good luck..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 madnesspersues

thanks!!! yeah i think im doing my projetcs on GRASS, BARLEY and DAIRY cows maybe ! that all ya have to do isint it? and then the farm visit???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭annie19

hey
    u have 2 do ur project on grassland, 2 livestock and barley/pot production.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

annie19 wrote: »
    hey
    u have 2 do ur project on grassland, 2 livestock and barley/pot production.

No it's 2 crops from Grassland/Root or Potato/Cereal Crop
    and 1 livestock enterprise most common being Dairy/Beef/Sheep/Pigs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

so i have to do a project in ag science for the LC! we have to go to a farm look around take pics and all dat! Does ANY1 know where i could find a farm to go to??????? i live in dublin, never been on a farm im my life, have no relations who are farmers or even know one ! SURELY someONE has an idea where i could do my project>????????????????:confused:

Come down here to da countryside of a Sundy mornin'. Wait 'til Mass is on and we're all in dere praying like mad. Den hop over the hedge and run around taking yer oul' pictures and sure you'll be gone before we're even gettin' the Holy Communion and we'll be none the wiser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 madnesspersues

haha ok! thanks ! i was talking to a farmer and he said i could do it on his farm, but at a charge , 250 euro!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

haha ok! thanks ! i was talking to a farmer and he said i could do it on his farm, but at a charge , 250 euro!!!!

that's crazy. ask some of the people in your class if they have a farm and can you visit or if someone in your class is going visiting a farm, go with them.

Advertisement