Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ABS light on a Toyota Avensis

Options
  • 27-08-2008 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm not sure if anyone can help but I've bee ndriving my brother's '99 Avensis for a week now, it's a great car and all, mechanically sound, except for one thing. The ABS light is stuck on and as a result w can't get it through the NCT, it's a solid car but this thing is annoying. He's had a few different places and nobdy seems to know what the problem is.

Has anybody had experience with this? Any help will be GREATLY appreicated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

I had same problem - abs isnt required to pass the nct but you are required to have no warning lights on - I removed the bulb after it failed the 1st time and it passed - I even told them thats what I did

as regards the abs - all systems operate conventionally if there is an abs problem - to fix it tho you will need to code from the abs computer first

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Remove the bulb to get it through the NCT if you wish but remember the ABS is there for a reason and in this regard, you should really get it seen to as soon as possible. It may save you a lot of money in the long run, or even your life!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Remember that school bus tha crashed last year and 5 schoolgirls were killed? As far as I remember the ABS warning light had been removed.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

All valid points and cheers for making them. I would sooner see it go through in perfect condition rather than just hoodwinking people. But, saying that, we've to places who took a full day, two days in one instance, at €40 an hour, just to say, "Yeah the computer's telling us something, we'll need a few more days at it." If it's telling you something, surely you know straight away rather than needing a few days jsut to find out what is exactly wrong with it?!??! If anybody knows of a good Toyota mechanic in the Dublin or Longford regions, please let me know.

Thanks to everybody who is helping me out here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

Pete67 wrote: »
    Remember that school bus tha crashed last year and 5 schoolgirls were killed? As far as I remember the ABS warning light had been removed.......
    The lack of an abs warning light didnt cause the accident

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I have come across an ABS light problem in a Toyota Avensis and had it fixed, so I will tell you what (little) I might know on the subject.

1. It could be that the ABS sensor is dirty and just needs to be cleaned off.

2. It could be a faulty ABS sensor - I think that this was what was wrong in my previous car. I think you might be able to get a second hand ABS sensor for about €40, so I was told. You could try ringing around a few scrapyards and find out. Obviously you wouldn't wanna go trying to replace it yourself unless you know what you're doing.

3. I think the above are probably the most common reasons but there are other less likely causes that were told to me but went in one ear and out the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,363 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Have you checked the sensors at the wheels to ensure that they are properly in place. On 2 occasions I have seen the abs light on because the sensor was more than the allowable couple of mm from the toothed ring at the wheel hub. I think the sensor works on magnetic readings from the toothed ring so needs to be right close to it or it drops the reading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

All seem o be point to the sensors / something sensor related, I'll give that and ol' try and see where it leads me.... probably to the NCT test centre sans ABS bulb... :)

Advertisement