Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Japenese Imports

Options
  • 27-08-2008 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

ok so if anyone seen yestersay i started a thread about gettin my car fixed or scrapping it, well i decided to go with scrapping as it was over what the car was worth to get it fixed, so a garage offered to take it off me and give me 500 off a car in exchange the only thing is most of his cars are japenese imports including the one im thinking of getting.

however Im a bit warey as its an import, are there any cons? or in even better, some pros?anyone have any advice?
    will i need new japanese parts if anythin goes wrong? would you recommend imports?
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

what is the car you have in mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭meesa

I am in the process of getting another car too and have looked at seven cars so far in the last two weeks.Four of them had outstanding finance on them, one was an insurance write-off in the UK and imported into Ireland,three of them had been clocked..ie. mileage was interfered with,two were advertised with the present owner non existent! ..i.e one owner instead of two , the list goes on..The best advice I can give you is get the car checked by an online history checker like cartell.ie (no links to this company) This will give you a complete history check of the car and is invaluable especially if you are purchasing an expensive car.They also automatically check UK history.
    I dont know if there is any way of checking Japanese import history but I know that my insurance company always want to know if the car is a Jap import so there must be some problem there.
    Personally I would wait and get an Irish car with full service history and of course if it`s a one owner car all the better. I can`t beleive the lies I`ve been told when going to see cars. One even had UK reg. plates on it and didn`t tell me until I saw it in the driveway!
    Best of luck with your search...check,check and check again..trust NOBODY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭macbarbie

Thanks thats good info, the car is a micra, new version, new body, its been NCTed and VRTed in Ireland but Im guessin when i buy it I will be the first on the record history as its a new vrt and the last person who had it was in japan! I get 3 months warrenty and fully serviced, i really liked it as its an 02 but like new.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

macbarbie wrote: »
    a garage offered to take it off me and give me 500 off a car in exchange

I wouldn't get too caught up over the €500 the garage is offering you. In reality, they are just adding this onto the price of the car your buying or taking this off the discount you would have gotten for cash.

As for the japanese imports, I have no first hand experience of them so cannot comment

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭FredsWebHead

Hi MacBarbie,
    My father bought a japanese import. It was a 1992 Toyota Carina E 2litre Diesel. He bought when it came into Ireland in 1997. He drove for 3 years with no problem and he is a Taxi driver. Then I took it off his hand for another 4 years. I had no big problems with it as far as i can remember. The usual stuff, services the radiator was the dearest repair I had to do on it. and guess what I still have it. It has 250,000 on the clock I start very now and then, and the father has said he would like to have it back. He also said that when he brought the next car after that one (wait for it) a 1993 1.6l petrol toyota carina e (european version) it was n't a patch on the 1992 import. When he sold it on there was a couple of rust patches and he had to change the engine on it. So all in all the japanese import has gotten a good report from us.
    Hope I helped.
    Green Peas,
    Fred.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

we have an imported jeep, & got no issues with it.

i have seen many cars in the locality & have never heard of problems

when imports first came in to this country the dealers tried to convince people that they were not up EU spec , in fact a lot of the cars I have seen are much higher spec that the irish cars, and most are in immaculate condition.

you might just ask your insurance company is there a problem with the imports before you go any further.

we transferred the policy from an irish jeep & the girl asked if it was an import, but it didn't make any difference , i queried why she asked & she just said H.Q. instructed them to make a note & check engine specs, it seems that some of the jap engines were a higher performance spec that could incur a higher premium.

Advertisement