Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Name Spelled Wrong on Speeding Fine

Options
  • 27-08-2008 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭

My Mam got a speeding fine today but her surname is spelled wrong on it. Would this be grounds to have it thrown out? ie Is it worth the risk of bringing it to court and having her points increased from two to four?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Take the fine.

It will just be reissued in court when this is mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I agree with ClioV6, I'd pay the fine, her license number will be correct, as is her address, you haven't got sufficient reason to challenge it as far as I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

If it goes to court they'll make you pay the fine and give you a conviction on your license!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Fair enough, thanks for responses. She wanted to pay it, I was just wondering.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

Myself, my brother and my mother all got off points as a result of the surname being spelt wrong. I'd say risk it coz I only three people that it has happened to and the three people got off it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

Ring a couple of solicitors as they would be able to advise you a lot better than anyone on this forum (no offence). Unless this has happened to the people who replied on here and it wasn't thrown out of court, you aren't really able to comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

steve06 wrote: »
    If it goes to court they'll make you pay the fine and give you a conviction on your license!

And what kind of conviction would that be? Rubbish talk if ever I heard it...

If you really want to fight this one my advice would be to ignore the fine and wait for a summons for non payment. When you get up in front of the judge tell him you never received the fine and ask was there a chance the name and address was correct on the fine when it was posted. The prosecuting garda will have a copy of the fine with your name incorrect on it and you have a99% chance of getting off that way. Chances are even if you dont you wont get the worst case scenario 4 point and increased fine.

Ring a couple of solicitors as they would be able to advise you a lot better than anyone on this forum (no offence). Unless this has happened to the people who replied on here and it wasn't thrown out of court, you aren't really able to comment.

I'd agree with Brandon and I would never say risk it jsut for the sake of it, or on a whim, only that it happened to me and members of my immediate family.

At the end of the day it comes down to the judge and he/she is feeling on the day. It always does. The risk is great but so to is the reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

cpoh1 wrote: »

If you really want to fight this one my advice would be to ignore the fine and wait for a summons for non payment. When you get up in front of the judge tell him you never received the fine and ask was there a chance the name and address was correct on the fine when it was posted. The prosecuting garda will have a copy of the fine with your name incorrect on it and you have a99% chance of getting off that way. Chances are even if you dont you wont get the worst case scenario 4 point and increased fine.

So long as you don't have a problem with perjuring yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

tell him you never received the fine
    Perjury would be a much more serious offence!

• Advertisement

cpoh, the poster is correct. If you accept the fine and pay it, you are convicted of the offense and issued with two points.

If you go to court and lose the appeal, you are convicted of the offence and issued with four points, as well as the higher fine.

Dont you have to be under oath to commit perjury? Ive never seen someone been put under oath in the circuit court over a speeding fine. Besides if a garda can go to court and commit perjury on a daily basis im ok with it too.

Dont you have to be under oath to commit perjury? Ive never seen someone been put under oath in the circuit court over a speeding fine. Besides if a garda can go to court and commit perjury on a daily basis im ok with it too.

+1

If she was stopped by the gardaí (rather than GATSO detection) the garda in the court will be able to inform the judge that the defendent knew the fine was to be issued.

Some judges are very lenient, some have been known to take the hardass line on this plea.

Whatever you do OP, be fully informed.

Besides if a garda can go to court and commit perjury on a daily basis im ok with it too.

Care to explain this? :confused:

Perjury is the act of lying or making verifiably false statements on a material matter under oath or affirmation in a court of law or in any of various sworn statements in writing

Joker wrote: »
    If she was stopped by the gardaí (rather than GATSO detection) the garda in the court will be able to inform the judge that the defendent knew the fine was to be issued.

The issue is not whether you knew you were caught speeding, its whether you were given ample opportunity to pay the fine. THe onus is on the prosecution to prove that you had this opportunity (by registered post or hand delivering the fine etc.). Anyway you can represent yourself and appeal to the district court if in the freak event that the judge sides with the prosecution.

If found guilty you are convicted of the crime of not paying the fine and your licence is endorsed. Your licence is not convicted, this makes no sense.

The issue is not whether you knew you were caught speeding, its whether you were given ample opportunity to pay the fine. THe onus is on the prosecution to prove that you had this opportunity (by registered post or hand delivering the fine etc.). Anyway you can represent yourself and appeal to the district court if in the freak event that the judge sides with the prosecution.

If found guilty you are convicted of the crime of not paying the fine and your licence is endorsed. Your licence is not convicted, this makes no sense. You can be convicted

Very true.

Judges have become wise to this defence and some won't let it slide by, the OP needs to know that much anyway. From a moral point of view, it is perjury to make such statements.

Your license is endorsed if you pay the fine or lose the court case. You are convicted in both cicrcumstances as well.

If you are let off, there is no conviction, points or fines.

EDIT: Could you reply please to my last post? It's an odd statement to make.

go to court on any day and see the amount of people there for not paying traffic offense fines!

They get a traffic offense conviction and a fine! I was in a court 2 weeks ago and I couldn't believe how many were handed out. And what you're suggesting is going to court to lie and say you never got the fine.....

Care to explain this? :confused:

Perjury is the act of lying or making verifiably false statements on a material matter under oath or affirmation in a court of law or in any of various sworn statements in writing

How does this statement need explaining??? I have encountered first hand cases where gardai lie under oath. I know exactly what perjury means thank you very much and I have yet to see a speeding or other trivial traffic offence in the circuit court require the defendant to swear in while addressing the judge. So there is the distinction.

go to court on any day and see the amount of people there for not paying traffic offense fines!

They get a traffic offense conviction and a fine! I was in a court 2 weeks ago and I couldn't believe how many were handed out. And what you're suggesting is going to court to lie and say you never got the fine.....

Yes, as I already posted you get convicted of non payment of a road traffic violation and your licence is endorsed. You do not get a conviction on your licence and you do not get convicted of the original offence, just the non payment of the fine. What you were trying to do was scaremonger the OP into thinking something big and bad will happen if you go to court.

@joker you stated earlier that perjury is a much bigger offence which is true but it doesnt apply here and moral or not if you are not sworn in you are not commiting perjury, the law is the law.

• Advertisement

I meant conviction and endoresment, I'm not scaremonger - I'm stating the facts!

I meant conviction and endoresment, I'm not scaremonger - I'm stating the facts!

Well steve we're not all mind readers on here, in future type what you mean and be clear especially when giving someone advice!

Well steve we're not all mind readers on here, in future type what you mean and be clear especially when giving someone advice!
    My post was read properly by other people who cleared it up before I got a chance to, so get off your soap box and give it a rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

No, you will never see it in the Circuirt court because all speeding fines are dealt with in the District Court.

However if you take the stand in any courtroom you will take the oath (or an affirmation if you dont do religion)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭McCrack

To clear up a couple of misconceptions. A fixed penalty notice IS NOT A FINE. It is a fixed penalty notice. The person receiving it has the choice to pay it or not. Only a court upon conviction can fine a person. The person does not have a choice to ignore it like they can a FPN.

If a person received a FPN and they pay it they are accepting the accusation made but they ARE NOT convicted of any offence. Only a court can convict a person whose guilt is pleaded or proved beyond reasonable doubt.

Traffic offences such as speading, seat-belt, ins, drunk driving etc are prosecuted in the District Court not the Circuit.

My advice would be to pay the FPN. The Judge has the discretion to have the summons amended if it's a typo. and all other material details are correct.

cpoh1 I asked you to provide examples, not hit back with smartarse "I know what perjury is and all guards do it 'cos I'm well cool" replies.

Unless you have proof of it where a Garda was caught out and prosecuted for it in a speeding fine case, it's not relevant and thus off-topic.

And you well know Boards.ie cannot tolerate the advocation of illegal acts.

cpoh1 I asked you to provide examples, not hit back with smartarse "I know what perjury is and all guards do it 'cos I'm well cool" replies.

Unless you have proof of it where a Garda was caught out and prosecuted for it in a speeding fine case, it's not relevant and thus off-topic.

And you well know Boards.ie cannot tolerate the advocation of illegal acts.

I think you should change your username from joker to clown my friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They will know the adress was right, how could the name being spelled wrong stop it getting there if the adress was right?

Because he asked you to prove that Gards regularly lie in court? Just becaus eyou say something doesnt make it true.

Meh, you're not worth the effort. ;)

If you can't back up the statement then it wasn't worth your effort either. :rolleyes:

I won't report the personal attack, because I know you can be civil if you want to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Tone it down "my friend" or you're taking a break from here

Advertisement