Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shops selling a good range of trad Irish CDs in Limerick

Options
  • 27-08-2008 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

I love Irish trad music, and whenever Im in town and passing a shop like HMV on Cruises Street I pop into have a look at their trad section. HMVs section is very small, not updated very regularly and is very expensive. Ive looked other shops in Limerick city centre and the burbs, but same comments seem to apply really. Is there any shop selling a decent range of trad irish CDs in Limerick or should I just give up and buy online or in other locations in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Empire Music on O'Connell Street used to have a traditional section. It was mentioned here before that they have closed down, not sure if it is true though but I haven't shopped in town for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

There's a couple in Ennis, but I'm not into trad music so don't know how good/expensive they are etc. I know Custy's is one and I can't for the life of me think of the name of the other one, but if I do remember I'll come back. I know one is between the Friary and the Queens and the other one is on the back street from the Template Gate out to the Square, but I can't remember which one is which :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Empire was about the best in Limerick for it. Having worked in both HMV and Zavvi, neither of those are great in terms of range of trad stuff, with HMV the better of the two.

There is a music shop in Cork that deals mainly with Trad music and the like. It is on the main street there just up from the Eason store, straight across from the South Mall.

The name ecsapes me but I am sure a Corkonian will wander by and know where I am on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

There's no shop in Limerick with an anyway decent selection of trad CDs. Apart from Sharon Shannon, all you'll find really will be folk groups like the Dubliners, Wolfe Tones, Fureys, Clancy Brothers, etc. with a dollop of Phil Coulter thrown in! Savins used to have some good new releases sometimes, but mostly just the same touristy stuff as HMV, Golden Discs, etc. I was in Empire Music in the last few weeks - it was like a ghost town - no other customers there, but it was still open!

Custy's in Ennis is brilliant for trad and I think you can order from them online. They're on Cooke's Lane, which is just off O' Connell Street in Ennis.

Tel. 065 6821727

Email: custys.ennis@eircom.net

Web: www.custysmusic.com

The other trad shop in Ennis (was it run by Kevin Crawford?) closed down as far as I know.

The trad music shop in Cork is The Living Tradition, on Mac Curtain Street, but when I passed there on a weekday afternoon recently it looked closed up.

I heard Mulligans in Galway closed down too. Powells (The Four Corners) in Galway used to have a really good trad section, but that was a good few years ago. :(

The only other trad music shops I can think of are Celtic Note on Nassau Street in Dublin, and good ol' Claddagh Records on Cecilia Street in Temple Bar, Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

dont the tourist shops at bunratty carry a wide range?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

boomerang wrote: »
    There's no shop in Limerick with an anyway decent selection of trad CDs. Apart from Sharon Shannon, all you'll find really will be folk groups like the Dubliners, Wolfe Tones, Fureys, Clancy Brothers, etc. with a dollop of Phil Coulter thrown in! Savins used to have some good new releases sometimes, but mostly just the same touristy stuff as HMV, Golden Discs, etc. I was in Empire Music in the last few weeks - it was like a ghost town - no other customers there, but it was still open!

Custy's in Ennis is brilliant for trad and I think you can order from them online. They're on Cooke's Lane, which is just off O' Connell Street in Ennis.

Tel. 065 6821727

Email: custys.ennis@eircom.net

Web: www.custysmusic.com

The other trad shop in Ennis (was it run by Kevin Crawford?) closed down as far as I know.

The trad music shop in Cork is The Living Tradition, on Mac Curtain Street, but when I passed there on a weekday afternoon recently it looked closed up.

I heard Mulligans in Galway closed down too. Powells (The Four Corners) in Galway used to have a really good trad section, but that was a good few years ago. :(

The only other trad music shops I can think of are Celtic Note on Nassau Street in Dublin, and good ol' Claddagh Records on Cecilia Street in Temple Bar, Dublin.

There is another Irish music store in Cork, it is right acorss from the South Mall on the main street. I drove past it again yesterday but was too far away to see the name, but it is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

zuroph wrote: »
    dont the tourist shops at bunratty carry a wide range?

They carry a wide range of touristy stuff! :D I'm into trad and I can tell you I wouldn't find anything of interest there.

Advertisement