Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian

• 27-08-2008 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi,

I have been a vegetarian (no meat or fish) for about 20 years. Now I would like to reintroduce meat into my diet, but I find it very (very!) difficult. I am hoping someone might be able to offer some advice / tips on how to more easily do this.

The closest I have come is to chop up tiny tiny bits of ham and put them in a sandwich and then shuffle sandwiches around so I don't know which one has the ham!! Crazy I know... but it's just a mental block now, as I'm not used to eating meat at all anymore. I think it will take a long time for me to be able to eat meat again, but hopefully someone has some tips on how I can do this.

I eat a very healthful diet and take multivitamins. I've had some health problems in the last few years, which I'm sure have very little to do with my diet, but I would like to eat some meat again just in case. It would also make life a little easier if I wasn't so strictly vegetarian.

Thanks for your advice!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭mack1

Same situation for a friend of mine and she too found it very difficult to add meat. She started eating fish, found it very hard but eventually grew to like and now she is a great fish eater.

Try adding meat and fish that is not too strong in taste, try say chicken and turkey over ham or beef.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Gordon Ramsey cooked this Veal dish to re-introduce 50 Vegetarians to meat in the latest season of The F-word. It looked like a very nice dish if you can handle trying it out. Perhaps ask a friend to cook, or help cook it with you?

Veal is a very subtle tasting meat that may be good to start with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I can sympathise. I was a veggie for about 15 years, got pregnant and fancied the odd toasted ham sandwich. Then I started breastfeeding and wanted meat four times a day, starting with black pudding for breakfast. Major shock!

Anyway, about about something like crab flakes? Very neutral tasting, especially if mixed with spicy mayo or something like that. Also, so pale in colour that it vanishes if eaten in a stirfry or with pasta.

Maybe graduate to something like a mixture of tofu and chicken satey. Use good firm tofu and make sure the chicken bits and the tofu are the same size chunks.

Advertisement