Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: European Super Cup: Manchester United vs Zenit St. Petersburg

• 27-08-2008 4:22pm
    Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭

1D313C74-E211-C2CF-D964027C60C47A80.jpgV 1841.gif

Stade Louis II Monaco
    Friday 29th August 2008
    K/O 19.45
    Live on ITV1 & TV3

Manchester United midfielder Owen Hargreaves is set to make his first appearance of the season in the Uefa Super Cup after a tendinitis problem.
    Gary Neville could also play his first competitive match in Monaco while Ryan Giggs is fit after a hamstring injury.
    Portuguese winger Nani is available again after a three-match ban.

Zenit St Petersburg's unsettled star forward Andrei Arshavin may be missing with boss Dick Advocaat saying: "His head is occupied with other thoughts."
    Arshavin, who rose to prominence in Russia's run to the Euro 2008 semi-finals, saw a potential move to Tottenham collapse last week.
    But Russian striker Pavel Pogrebnyak, who missed Euro 2008 because of knee problems, is ready to play in Monaco.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

It could be an uncomfortable night for the Utd back 4 if theres any sign of Arshavin on the pitch, sorry couldn't resist, I like lame gags :(

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

jaykay74 wrote: »
    It could be an uncomfortable night for the Utd back 4 if theres any sign of Arshavin on the pitch, sorry couldn't resist, I like lame gags :(
    Get you coat;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I don't think it will be a completely weakend side as per some suggestions in the United thread, but I think it will be used to give game time to players without much action under their belt; Nani after his suspension, Hargreaves, Neville, possibly Park. Certainly tough to predict the line up.

VDS/Kuz

Neville
    Rio
    Vidic/Brown
    Evra

Nani
    Scholes/Anderson---Hargreaves----Giggs/Park

Rooney
    Tevez

They may not start, but I'd like to see decent run outs given to the twins and Possebon - perhaps half time or shortly after.

Also, things have been very quiet on the Manucho front - he has his permit so I assume he's eligable, is he back to full fitness?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd like us to win this to make it 2 out of 2 so far. 7 availible this year, I want them all :)
    [Charity Shield, Super Cup, World Club Cup, League Cup, FA Cup, Premiership, CL]
    the septuple has never been done before :)

That said, the team I'd like to see would be

Foster
    --Rafael
    Ferdinand
    Evans
    Fabio-
    Possebon
    Hargreaves
    --Fletcher
    Rooney
    Nani--
    Campbell

If that team plays well, it can win the game. Good strong core of Ferdinand Hargreaves and Rooney to provide experience. It'd be great to see :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

PHB wrote: »
    I'd like us to win this to make it 2 out of 2 so far. 7 availible this year, I want them all :)
    [Charity Shield, Super Cup, World Club Cup, League Cup, FA Cup, Premiership, CL]

That said, the team I'd like to see would be

Foster
    --Rafael
    Ferdinand
    Evans
    Fabio-
    Possebon
    Hargreaves
    --Fletcher
    Rooney
    Nani--
    Campbell

If that team plays well, it can win the game. Good strong core of Ferdinand Hargreaves and Rooney to provide experience. It'd be great to see :)
    Yeah Id like that team to be given a go, although Id have Neville in there. Evans really needs a game imo. Whats the odds on Darren "Cristiano" Fletcher scoring in a 1-0 win! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

PHB wrote: »

Id settle for the same two... or at the very least one of them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Aquos76 wrote: »
    But Russian striker Pavel Pogrebnyak, who missed Euro 2008 because of knee problems, is ready to play in Monaco.
    Watch out for this guy, he is better than Pavlyuchenko. Don't know if he is back to full fitness yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Should be a cracking game.

Both teams can play brilliant football.

As long as no one gets injured I'II be happy and a couple of backups and players on the way back from injury get games. As i remember the pitch in Monaco is built on top of a car park and is notorious for picking up injuries. Hopefully its a good game but its just a friendly tbh.

There's a fcukin European Trophy to be one. I can't believe how anyone would say it's just a friendly:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Looks like it wont be that weakened a team. According to Manutd.com the travelling squad is

United squad: Kuszczak, Van der Sar; Brown, Evra, Ferdinand, Neville, O’Shea, Vidic; Anderson, Fletcher, Gibson, Hargreaves, Nani, Park, Possebon, Scholes; Campbell, Rooney, Tevez

Kuszczak
    Neville-Ferdinand-Vidic--O’Shea
    --Hargreaves---Possebon
    --Nani
    Rooney
    Park
    Campbell

Subs: Van der Sar, Brown, Evra, Anderson, Fletcher, Gibson, Scholes, Tevez.

I would like to see Anderson, Gibson, and Fletcher get a run out.

Disappointed the twins haven't travelled, Giggs isn't being risked, no idea why Foster didn't travel.

SantryRed wrote: »
    There's a fcukin European Trophy to be one. I can't believe how anyone would say it's just a friendly:rolleyes:

Okay its up there with the Charity Shield (being the european equivalent). Neither will get a mention when it comes to deciding if the season has been a success or not. Save your rolleyes for an opinion more deserving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Okay its up there with the Charity Shield (being the european equivalent). Neither will get a mention when it comes to deciding if the season has been a success or not. Save your rolleyes for an opinion more deserving.

Im of the same opinion. While it is an event I will watch, Im not too pushed about the result. It will prove valuable this time though as there are many players in the squad who need games badly.

You've won it only the one time. Would you not want to win it? Why not put out the full squad? Am I right in thinking yous have no game for two weeks!

It's idiotic to give subs a run out for a European Trophy.

Will it be the same for the World Club Championship?

Will it be the same for the World Club Championship?

Slightly less so as the club would like to market itself as world champs I'd imagine. More money in winning that than euro super cup.

for me the priority is :

1 League
    1 Champ League
    3 FA cup
    4 CC
    5 World Club Champ
    6 super cup
    7 charity shield

When it comes to judging success for Man Utd (where they are right now) only the top 2 count. the rest is window dressing. in my opinion it would be a bad season to win 5 trophies and not win either league or champ league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I don't think VDS will play. Nani definitely will, as will Park (assuming he's fit). I don't think Fergie will risk too many senior players. Something like:

Foster/Kuz
    Neville---Ferdinand---Vidic---Evra
    ----Anderson----Hargreaves
    Nani
    Rooney
    Park
    Tevez/Campbell

Yous haven't got a game for two weeks!

Why wouldn't he play the first team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

in fairness that team Tom65 posted will probably be, more or less, the first team until Ronaldo comes back from injury

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Yous haven't got a game for two weeks!

Why wouldn't he play the first team?

Because there is a lot of players coming back from injury that missed a lot of preseason and this is the perfect opportunity to get them some "competitive" games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Because there is a lot of players coming back from injury that missed a lot of preseason and this is the perfect opportunity to get them some "competitive" games.

Also, football is a squad game - we need to give players game time if they are to maintain match sharpness and remain happy at the club. Games like this are ideal for rotating the squad a bit. Also, not have a game for two week is not really true. United don't have games, but a lot of the players will do - potentially 2 international games.

• Advertisement

Because the development of youngsters is more important than the supercup. And its a great opportunity to mix a strong 4/5 players with young potential players.

Also some players need to get back to fitness so they should play, Rooney needs another 60 mins imo.

hargreaves out of the match, I hope we dont have another Saha here:mad:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/aug/29/manchesterunited.englandfootballteam?gusrc=rss&feed=sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It really is a joke of a trophy. It used to have some meaning when all the best sides did not get into the Champions League but now its nothing more than a European Charity Shield.

hargreaves out of the match, I hope we dont have another Saha here:mad:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/aug/29/manchesterunited.englandfootballteam?gusrc=rss&feed=sport

FFS, the last few weeks all the talk was that his problems were over. Getting more pessimistic about him re injuries as time goes by. not convinced at all.

line ups
    50706073ie0.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

UTD TEAM

VDS
    NEVILLE
    RIO
    VIDIC
    EVRA

FLETCHER
    SCHOLES
    ANDERSON
    NANI

TEVEZ
    ROONEY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Watch out for this guy, he is better than Pavlyuchenko. Don't know if he is back to full fitness yet though.
    +1 Was gonna put my money on him to finish top-scorer in Euro 2008 until i heard he was gonna miss the whole tournament:(
    Completely underrated and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that 1 or 2 Premier League teams have put in bids for him by tomorrow assuming he plays tonight

That is a v. strong team, nice to have some width back with Nani.

This is what we are playing for tonight lads
    446128_mediumsquare.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

good chance for Rooney there, best chance so far and Tevez is easily uniteds biggest thread at the moment...great save VDS just now. So thats my commentary for anyone who's tuned in :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

The horrors The horrors - watched the first thirty minutes of this on TV3 before realising it was on UTV- forgot how painful TV3 was - Jim Beglin > Big Cas.

Need more tinnies but the fridge is miles away.

Not much in the way of any excitment from the match.

Seems no-one told Tevez it was a makey-up cup a la the Charity Shield and just like then he seems the only Utd player bothered. Rooney looks like he couldnt really be arsed and Ferdinand giving a similar performance.

Ooh tasy goal from a corner as I type -flick on at the near post - Pavleuncyko(SP) might have stole the goal credit.

NOw some Argy Bargy Handbags - Someone needs to tell Anderson tis a makey up cup too. Getting a bit riled up. Scholes yellow

Half time and Man Utd are losing 1-0. Zenit are a decent side. look very good and quick on the break. Tevez has been United's best player in this first half. Cant really understand why Gary Neville put that ball out for a corner which lead to their goal.

he didn't know what was behind him, did the right thing. why yer man was allowed to flick it on virtually unchallenged was more of a concern imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭niallk

Someone needs to tell Michael Jackson he's terrible. He's having a shocker.
    Not the first or last time. I think United are a much better team without him TBH. He annoys me.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

No point putting out such a strong team if the players cant be bothered. They dont look interested at all. Definitely missing a Hargreaves/Carrick type player in midfield. Dare I say John O'Shea? No, no I wont. Bring on Possebon instead.

the goal will probably wake them up, though Tevez has been excellent

Half time and Man Utd are losing 1-0. Zenit are a decent side. look very good and quick on the break. Tevez has been United's best player in this first half. Cant really understand why Gary Neville put that ball out for a corner which lead to their goal.

Id blame Rio for the faffing around as opposed to Neville - I think Neville didnt know if there was any Zenith players lurking - Could have put it out for a throw I suppose - Always remember "if in doubt, put it out"

Was a poor goal for the defence to give away.

Zenit seem much more interested than Utd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

niallk wrote: »
    Someone needs to tell Michael Jackson he's terrible. He's having a shocker.
    Not the first or last time. I think United are a much better team without him TBH. He annoys me.:mad:

I dont think United would have been much better off without his 4 goals and 14 assists last season.

he didn't know what was behind him, did the right thing. why yer man was allowed to flick it on virtually unchallenged was more of a concern imo

Not so sure, he could have cleared it out field. There are to many passengers on this United team tonight. Tevez is a beast of a player and has yet again been class. Rio, and Rooney look like they dont give a damn, Nani has been wastefull on numerous occasions.

• Advertisement

I think that's a bit harsh, Fletcher and Scholes have looked good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭niallk

Archimedes wrote: »
    I dont think United would have been much better off without his 4 goals and 14 assists last season.
    4 goals/476,000 attempts (official Premier League stat). He disrupts way too many plays. I know Ronaldo wasn't too much better in his first couple of seasons but I hate when people make this point in relation to Nani. They are not the same player. Nani is not ready for the first team yet IMO.

I think that's a bit harsh, Fletcher and Scholes have looked good.

Scholes has been good and Fletcher put in one excellent 40 yard pass but hasn't done much else, Nani has been dire and the game seems to be passing Anderson by.

Hopefully the goal will be after waking them up and we see a far better performance in the second half. Arse shavin is on for the second half

Arshavin on - Hurrah!!!

Come on folks amuse me with puns

Scholes has been good and Fletcher put in one excellent 40 yard pass but hasn't done much else, Nani has been dire and the game seems to be passing Anderson by.

Totally agree - Fletcher has been a bit missing.

Ooh Arshavin goes by Vidic in the box [Dont see that often.]
    - Arshavin puts in a ball to no-one accross the box in the end

No one know any Andrei Arshavin puns?

More argey-bargey after a head clash involving Vidic

Anderson yellow card

Does anyone know if yellows in this game count in Europe or are they for this game only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

These ruskies are alright

2-0 down now. United were cut open there

Oooh Tasty from Dani - 2-0 - shocking marking - no-one challenged him at all
    Neville and Ferdinand the main perpretrators

United Subs coming on
    O Shea for Anderson
    Park for Fletcher

• Advertisement
Advertisement