Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the best mobile/wireless broadband in Ireland please?

• 27-08-2008 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

Whats the best mobile/wireless broadband in Ireland please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

I would think Digiweb Metro. But I'm open to correction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Strange, was just having same discussion with a buddy and agree that Digiweb would probably be the best. Good support too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Is it mobile or wireless, or mobile & wireless, that you're after? Metro is not mobile, but you won't find a mobile & wireless service that you can reliably call broadband. If it's just wireless you're after, then Metro is the job, if you can get it that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

It really depends on where you live and what your need is. Digiweb Metro might be good for some, but it's asymetric and capped.

IBB Breeze and ourselfes are symmetric and not capped, which is way better if you need the higher upload or transfer a lot of data. Examples: VPN, P2P etc.

/Martin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

However the upstream on Metro can be 1.5Mbps, very solid. It depends on your application needs, generally more than upstream on similar or more expensive DSL (esp if you add line rental).

Downstream on Metro can be x5 Breeze, hence the rolling quota. Have IBB/Imagine not brought in Caps for some products for new customers? You can also buy extra quota on Metro. For 80% of people the Quota/Cap is never reached.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It really depends on where you live in the country,and if you mean mobile wireless or wireless and with or with out an external aerial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

watty wrote: »
    However the upstream on Metro can be 1.5Mbps, very solid. It depends on your application needs, generally more than upstream on similar or more expensive DSL (esp if you add line rental).

Downstream on Metro can be x5 Breeze, hence the rolling quota. Have IBB/Imagine not brought in Caps for some products for new customers? You can also buy extra quota on Metro. For 80% of people the Quota/Cap is never reached.

Unless you are on an expensive package 512 is what you get on upload with Digiweb

The caps for IBB is only for DSL / RIPwave as far as I can see

if 80 percent of your customers don't download much why can't your company allow more than a 1990's 30 Gb?

I LIKE to pay more money! but not 5 euro for a lousy 10Gb when most limits are 150 or 300

why does Digiweb not use its biggest asset? do all customers have to flee first?

why not use your network to the max? especially when it is aging??

I don't think you read carefully.

*can* be isn't *is* (512K compares well with majority of DSL Users upload speed)

The point is that the present quota means 20% of users can't make the network poor for the 80% as happens on some networks without caps.

In 1990's most people didn't have broadband at all.

Digiweb has one of the lowest churns in the industry because the network is Modern, managed and constantly upgraded. Digiweb is consistently one of the fastest growing IT sector companies and profitable. I was so impressed I went to work for them. :)

I'd be curious as to the nationwide, readily available, ISPs you mean with "most limits are 150 or 300"? In fact ISPs with big slowdowns due to contention and a small number of users eating all the traffic unfairly are introducing Caps. Some ISPs, 20% of users or less eat 80% of the traffic. Is that fair use for the other 80%?

ok this is a bit too negative, as I was/am one of the most enthusiastic customers 3 years ago.

Digiweb has everything: good speed,service, reliability,etc

Except for 1 small thing: cap

I don't think you can appreciate how crap it is, most employees of Digiweb hide behind the technology used. But I think they use it as a money maker.
    Let me explain:

You can get more than the usual 30 gb but for a price. A big price
    Often it is sighted that this is great for network contention: a rolling cap, low cap etc

But I never had any contention on my connection, meaning I can ALWAYS get max speed, but this also means that the whole 30 gb limit is artificial
    Digiweb is milking basically

I don't think you read carefully.

*can* be isn't *is* (512K compares well with majority of DSL Users upload speed)

The point is that the present quota means 20% of users can't make the network poor for the 80% as happens on some networks without caps.

In 1990's most people didn't have broadband at all.

Digiweb has one of the lowest churns in the industry because the network is Modern, managed and constantly upgraded. Digiwyeb is consistently one of the fastest growing IT sector companies and profitable. I was so impressed I went to work for them. :)

I'd be curious as to the nationwide, readily available, ISPs you mean with "most limits are 150 or 300"? In fact ISPs with big slowdowns due to contention and a small number of users eating all the traffic unfairly are introducing Caps. Some ISPs, 20% of users or less eat 80% of the traffic. Is that fair use for the other 80%?

Well it seems Eircon has no cap and UPC has 150 or 300 depending on the report. most others are unlimited (magnet, smart, utv, airwire, ice, etc)

About the 80/20 there is no problem:
    the 80 percent that use 20 will never know that 20 percent is using 80.
    It's 'normal'

Please let technical contention be your limit, and not your 5 euro some sort of tax for a little bit more

UTV charges a couple of euros more for unlimited for instance. Now that is decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

galactus wrote: »
    Good support too.

I have never, once, had a good experience with Digiweb Metro support. There are some terribly nice guys'n'gals working there, but continued problems, complete lack of technical ability and slow response to more urgent issues are all common place, in my experience. They might be better than some other ISP support, but there's no way I can recommend them as "good"!
    Marlow wrote: »
    IBB Breeze and ourselfes are symmetric and not capped, which is way better if you need the higher upload or transfer a lot of data. Examples: VPN, P2P etc.

.. and riddled with contention issues at peak time. I'm guessing that maxing out your connection 24/7 would soon get you some attention too.
    upstream on Metro can be 1.5Mbps
    I'm guessing her, but the vast majority of Metro customers aren't getting 1.5Mbps upload, are they? Even so, the .5Mbps (that I'm guessing most are getting) does compare favourably with DSL (but less so for cable or other wireless, perhaps).
    Wcool wrote: »
    Well it seems Eircon has no cap and UPC has 150 or 300 depending on the report.
    eircom have caps alright, and low ones at that. The fact that they aren't enforcing them yet, en masse, doesn't mean they don't exist. I know of 3 people who have been asked to upgrade or be charged (they were WELL in excess of the cap every month). The same applies for any "unlimited" provider. They simply can't afford to offer unlimited to any significant number of their customers. Read their T&C/AUP and you'll find that "unlimited" is really false advertising.
    Wcool wrote: »
    UTV charges a couple of euros more for unlimited for instance. Now that is decent.
    It is, but again, they're unlikely to allow you utilise your full connection speed 24/7. Didn't they have time-of-day speed restrictions at one point (was that before the unlimited add-on)?

Point is all residential ISPs have a cap. Whether it's a hard cap that they publish, or a measure of how badly you're affecting your neighbours is a matter of marketing. Digiweb Metro's cap is low, IMO, but at least it keeps the network fairly solid (those who know me, will probably giggle at that) during peak times.

Pretty fair points cgarvey and I didn't mean to suggest that 1.5Mbps was a standard speed, but an available speed on higher packages.

I guess with all products and services the ideal is to not need "support" at all. However all feedback is taken seriously as is training.

If anyone has a serious issue with telephone or email support they should write to Digiweb clearly outlining the history and the issues as it is taken seriously. Of course if at the end of the day there is Interference that takes too long to deal with (Comreg is always notified) or poor signal due to trees, buildings or hills, then the best "support" can't fix this.

It's part of the Irish process that a Wireless ISP usually can't publically name the source (location and/or organisation) of Interference, either before, during or even after the resolution process. This is unfortunate as it means that "support" may not know or can't tell the customer about an issue we know exists. Then the poor customer thinks we don't care and nothing is being done. I can't give examples either. :( Even revealing this much about the "inner workings" of Irish spectrum is verging on the unwise. I'm not making a criticism of any organisation, just explaining the sometimes lack of detailed information when some people need support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭atkin

I have been with Digiweb since July 2006. I found the support good and it comes without a premium rate number .I had a 10 gb limit and it was fine could download even movies sometimes . I upgraded to 20 gb. I notice I cannot even download music now as the traffic quota increases dramatically. I believe they are manipulating the traffic to force you to upgrade. I will change ISP company if it continues.
    Anyone feel the same .
    Atkin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I don't think there was a need to drag up an old and unrelated thread just to talk about downloading movies and music illegally.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement