Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too much fruit?

Options
  • 27-08-2008 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

I love fruit. I actually have to try not to eat too much of the stuff.

I would generally eat an orange, apple, peach at some point during the day and later on have a bowl of fruit..with melon, grapes, pear, strawberries and banana. Is this ok or too much?

I'm not on a diet and I don't skip out on other foods, think I have a good balanced diet. I'm very active..running, gym, hiking etc.

Opinions appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

You didn't actually give us a quantity, or an idea of what proportion of your diet is fruit, and what the rest is made from.

Fruit is a great food, but it is possible to overdo it. The good news is that the more active you are, the more fruit you can eat. Fructose is unusual in that it doesn't trigger insulin the way other sugars do, but if your liver glycogen is full (and it usually is unless you are very active or on a low carb diet) then it can be stored as fat very easily. For best effect, eat fruit before or after a workout.

If you switch to things like berries, you can eat a lot more fruit for the same amount of calories. Grapes and bananas etc pack a lot more calories than most people realise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Cole wrote: »
    I love fruit. I actually have to try not to eat too much of the stuff.

I would generally eat an orange, apple, peach at some point during the day and later on have a bowl of fruit..with melon, grapes, pear, strawberries and banana. Is this ok or too much?

I'm not on a diet and I don't skip out on other foods, think I have a good balanced diet. I'm very active..running, gym, hiking etc.

Opinions appreciated.

based on what youve told us you are fairly active and not looking to drop body fat? If this is the case dont change anything, there are far worse foods you could be eating!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

I've been eating a lot of fruit lately myself and mostly dried.I think you have little to worry about with all the activities you do. I, on the other hand am not nearly as active and really need to be careful. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

No portion sizes given as mentioned. And they vary, apples in lidl are massive yokes. Most fruit is around 12% sugar by weight so you can figure it out.
    I've been eating a lot of fruit lately myself and mostly dried
    More calorie dense and not as filling or hydrating, I am sure you know what you are at, but many could unknowingly overeat/overportion dry fruit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

rubadub wrote: »

More calorie dense and not as filling or hydrating, I am sure you know what you are at, but many could unknowingly overeat/overportion dry fruit.

Although higher in calories dried fruit have better nutrient scores than fresh but as you say they can be all too easy to over-consume.The best thing to do is portion out servings for the day that way you will be less likely to devour a whole bag.
    Dried fruits have a greater nutrient density, greater fiber content, increased shelf life, and significantly greater phenol antioxidant content compared to fresh fruits. The quality of the antioxidants in the processed dried fruit is the same as in the corresponding fresh fruit. Phenols in dried fruit may be important antioxidants as demonstrated by the in vivo antioxidant effect from eating a serving size of figs. Therefore, more dried fruits should be recommended to be added to the diet by dieticians and nutritionists.

http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/full/24/1/44

• Advertisement
Advertisement