Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you keeping up your job during 6th Year?

Options
  • 27-08-2008 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

So how many of you are planning on keeping up a job during 6th Year? Anyone want to talk about there previous experiences?

Planning on handing in my notice on Saturday, still a tad undecided.

Are you keeping up your job during 6th Year? 12 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    50% 6 votes
    Planning on leaving before the mocks
    41% 5 votes
    Undecided
    8% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

My what now? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I didn't have a job in the first place so I didn't have one to give up... but the way I see it is, yes, having money is good, but for the next however many months, your job should be as a student. Ideally you only do the LC once, so you may as well give it the best shot you can. Being tired out by working a job on top of going to school will do you no favours. Depends on how many hours you work though, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Nope, though I don't know if they know that...

• Registered Users Posts: 36 snowflakes

No I'm not going to work through the winter, but a lot of my friends have decided to work up until Christmas.
    It depends on your job and how you manage your time I'm guessing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Signature

I don't have a job anyway. I don't think I would want one during 6th, especially in the last few months before the exam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

What job?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Actually I might go back and beg for a few hours around Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Hell yes! I have the most part-time job in the world! I don't have to work when it's on. The just get enough people to sign up each week that will cover everything, so if I don't feel like working, I don't have to! That also means, if I don't want to work for a few months then that's fine! Which is dead handy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 The Weasel

Jay P wrote: »
    Hell yes! I have the most part-time job in the world! I don't have to work when it's on. The just get enough people to sign up each week that will cover everything, so if I don't feel like working, I don't have to! That also means, if I don't want to work for a few months then that's fine! Which is dead handy!
    Dude, I think you may be confusing a job with a hobby!!:D
    Still dont reall know what to do.. I didnt work last year (Im repeating), dont know how much of an advantage it was really. Got 520, But was BROKE for the year... Think this year il keep it up for a while anyways and see how I get on... I d rather be broke than jeopardise my 555!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

I worked up until february and still got 490..... It was part time but i averaged about 20 hours a week... so it tooku up a fair bit of time. If you have discipline to do things now, rather than say to yourself, ya ill do that there in a minute and come back a few hours later you should be ok. That said, i put everything off, barely did my homwork and i came out ok. Disappointed not to make the 500 mark but i made my course so who cares?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I only work Saturdays and will have my schoolbag with me(staying in Waterford instead of at home at weekends) so I will get some study done its not like I was gonig to be studying all day saturday anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

I kept mine up til Christmas of 6th year, but even then i was only doing abut 10-15 hours a week, and they were pretty cool if i couldnt work at a weekend because of extra homework or whatever....but i really dont think anybody should be workin after Xmas in 6th year, it gets too much. Like PurpleFixtMister said earlier, your job really should be to be a student......a few months being broke won't kill you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

I gave up around Christmas. It's different for everyone, but generally I would say hang onto the job for a while and see how it goes, but give it up around Christmas. An advantage of this will be that suddenly you'll have those extra study hours at the weekend that previously would have been spent working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭crunchycorner

I only work on saturdays, 9-5:30 and it's not exactly tiring work or anything, in an office all day.....I'll probably be able to do some study for an hour or 2 while I'm there. Think I'm gonna finish around x-mas..........haven't said anything about it yet though.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

im cutting back to one day a week, sat or sun the most ill be doing will be 8 hours a week. i dont really see the difference in going out with my friends or working for a few hours tbh, my job isnt too stressfull. then am going to take a few weeks off coming up to the LC.

Advertisement