Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mods

Options
  • 27-08-2008 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭

Correct me if i am wrong but it seems that mods are given more forums to moderate even though they don't neccessarily post there...
    No offence to Silverfish but i hardly see replies from her/him in PI and yet "they" have been made a mod, are there no other candidates????
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Mods don't have to be actively posting (or even interested) in a forum to be good at moderating it. It helps the other moderators out to have a different way of thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Correct me if i am wrong but it seems that mods are given more forums to moderate even though they don't neccessarily post there...
    No offence to Silverfish but i hardly see replies from her/him in PI and yet "they" have been made a mod, are there no other candidates????

At the very least, a mod is an extra pair of eyes and ears. If Silverfish does nothing else as a mod than delete the most obvious troll threads in PI, then surely she's still helping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Why would they have to post there? Moderation basically involves tidying up and making appropriate what you read in front of you through a variety of different functions, and PI of all places is non-specialized forum to boot. Fail to see how this could possibly be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Silverfish is an experienced moderator and obviously has the time to put into modding the forum which I would assume is the necessary criteria for a moderator in personal issues given that it's such a busy forum.

Also just because you don't see her posting there doesn't mean that she doesn't browse PI regularly and isn't familiar with how things work in there.

I don't see why it's a problem for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Like a swan gliding the shimmering lake gently, relaxedly and majestically, feet paddling vigorously and madly underneath the water.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

javaboy wrote: »
    At the very least, a mod is an extra pair of eyes and ears. If Silverfish does nothing else as a mod than delete the most obvious troll threads in PI, then surely she's still helping.

I can delete the crap threads, I want to be a mod:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

I think I will start applying for some of these mod jobs. I'd probably be brilliant at it tbh.

Gordon wrote: »
    Like a swan gliding the shimmering lake gently, relaxedly and majestically, feet paddling vigorously and madly underneath the water.

The river Temarc in winter
    Zinda, his face black, his eyes red
    Temba, his arms wide/open

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Ah yis are getting this wrong, i am not saying Silverfish is not a good mod or anything like that...I asked a question because i remember same thing happened to Theadyal as well.

And Takola i asked a question, no pun and it's not a problem for me.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

takola wrote: »
    Silverfish is an experienced moderator and obviously has the time to put into modding the forum which I would assume is the necessary criteria for a moderator in personal issues given that it's such a busy forum.

Also just because you don't see her posting there doesn't mean that she doesn't browse PI regularly and isn't familiar with how things work in there.

I don't see why it's a problem for you?
    Iz it cos she iz black??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I'm not sure why you think someone should post in a forum on a daily basis in order to become a mod of said forum.
    Did you think you'd get the job or something?

Silverfish has posted many times in PI, her comments are always spot on.
    She is a very experienced Moderator and we knew she would be perfect for the job. She qualifies on every level we require.

When it comes to moderating PI, there are very few people we consider up to the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Beruthiel wrote: »
    I'm not sure why you think someone should post in a forum on a daily basis in order to become a mod of said forum.

Oh don't tease her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

When it comes to moderating PI, there are very few people we consider up to the job.

And fewer still who'd want the job! :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Mods are like Parking Wardens. A necessarily evil!

Why do people get obsessed with wanting to be a mod or moaning when an existing mod takes over another forum??? :confused:

For the record this is not a retro dig at 6th, he has a heart unlike the [insert required mod name] who mods [insert required forum name].

And fewer still who'd want the job! :P

Indeed.
    But please don't tell Silverfish that just yet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

If anything, it looks really good if a moderator stays out of discussions and only steps in to sort out any problems. Not saying that's the way it should be but it's probably the most even-handed way of moderating.

I found I couldn't resist getting involved in After Hours discussions and after a while I felt it would be better if I didn't do this as a moderator. Another of the many reasons I stopped moderating After Hours - they'll all come out eventually :pac:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Being a user is just so much nicer, I felt that I wouldn't be on enough to mod B&U more so I gave it up, and that was actually a fairly quiet forum in terms of moderation, I actually would hate to imagine PI or AH, it must border on unpaid employment! :eek:

I asked a question, there is no need to say that. I did not criticise her, i asked because it seems there is a mod rotation system.

i asked because it seems there is a mod rotation system.

No there isn't. And even if there is, so what?

FYI, Myself, dudara, Mark and Wibbs were all virgins to modding when we took on the job of modding PI, so that blows your theory right out of the water.

Dudess wrote: »
    I found I couldn't resist getting involved in After Hours discussions and after a while I felt it would be better if I didn't do this as a moderator. Another of the many reasons I stopped moderating After Hours - they'll all come out eventually :pac:.

It's like one of those "tell all" autobiographies syndicated weekly in the Daily Rag. Just publish the book and be done with it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

FYI, Myself, dudara, Mark and Wibbs were all virgins to modding when we took on the job of modding PI, so that blows your theory right out of the water.

So was I.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

To don a serious hat at the moment, i do feel of all forums PI is one that requires a moderator than can do slightly more than moderate given some of the sensitive topics and often vunerable posters who post there. Poor moderation can result in additional upset and similarly, unmoderated poor/misleading advice could potentially have negative consequences for posters with more serious issues.

Im sure the choosing of Silverfish took into account the responsibility involved.

Liar. There has to be a mod rotation system. Some of them are online so much they'd get bedsores if they weren't rotated regularly. :pac:

Beruthiel,

I am not trying to get into a fight with you.... Can you chill out!

And i don't know about the other mods and how they were given their jobs but i noticed it with Theadyal and Silverfish.

This thread is not to start an argument of any sort, i also do not want to be a mod!!

You have a point java, ok I lied :D
    Gordon wrote: »
    So was I.

Really?
    I can't remember that far back :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I asked a question, there is no need to say that. I did not criticise her, i asked because it seems there is a mod rotation system.

There isn't one, but even if there was I'd see no problem with giving experienced and level-headed mods the job of moderating the PI forum, of all forums it's the one that needs the the most careful moderation imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Dudess wrote: »
    If anything, it looks really good if a moderator stays out of discussions and only steps in to sort out any problems. Not saying that's the way it should be but it's probably the most even-handed way of moderating.

I'm very happy moderating forums that I have an interest in. I figure I'll catch more spam, or other naughty goings on, if I'm actively reading the topics, rather than relying on reports all the time. I like to think I'm fairly even handed in moderation too.

I don't know if I'd be any good at modding a forum I've no interest in.

And i don't know about the other mods and how they were given their jobs but i noticed it with Theadyal and Silverfish.

Thaed took her old job back after a break, so that just leaves Silverfish. One mod, on 'rotation'
    Yup. The plot thickens!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

This thread is not to start an argument of any sort, i also do not want to be a mod!!

Thaed was mod of PI when I joined boards (I remember because I got my first warning from her! :D). She took a break from it for a while but then came back. So it wasn't a case of her being just thrown in there. She was just returning after a break.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'm very happy moderating forums that I have an interest in. I figure I'll catch more spam, or other naughty goings on, if I'm actively reading the topics, rather than relying on reports all the time. I like to think I'm fairly even handed in moderation too.

I don't know if I'd be any good at modding a forum I've no interest in.
    Oh yeah, I'm really interested in Alt&Indie so it's ideal for me to moderate, but there are positives from both angles. I think though, when it comes to AH and PI we're talking a different kettle of fish. Emotive topics come up and it looks better if a moderator doesn't get involved. Emotive topics are far less likely to come up in the music fora (I know, not impossible though :)).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement