Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair to close two Cork-UK routes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Well flip it anyway.

Does anyone do Cork-Glasgow now? Aer Lingus only went to Glasgow from Dublin the last time I checked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Will the DAA ever learn and stop increasing their charges at Cork? Its a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Ahhhh, the EMA one is handy out, was only on one of those flights two weeks ago. Cheap too :(
    It was the job for gigs and festivals in Birmmingham :(

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

http://www.corkairport.com/business/ORKRSS2008.pdf

They were paying zero charges, this was about to increase to 20% of the normal charge. The real reason for this is that Ryanair's business model is suffering due to higher fuel prices.

Apart from the reduced competition, it's not that big a loss. Aer Arann is way more convenient for Edinburgh, although I have to agree that it's pricey, and probably about to get more pricey now. There's still a choice of two airlines on Cork-Birmingham, usually with cheap fares. And why would anyone want to fly to East Midlands to go to a gig in Birmingham?? You can walk from Birmingham airport to the NEC and Birmingham New Street is 10 minutes from the airport by train. The only people really inconvenienced are those who want to travel to Glasgow, but there's a chance now that someone else might take that route up. They'd probably get the 100% discount if they fly to Glasgow International.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭One-Day-Juande

This is absolute bollix. New terminal opened what is it 3 years ago now. At the time we were told that there would be direct flights to JFk and greater expansion services. Instead we get aerlingus killing the madrid munich routes last year and now this from ryan air. At this rate the place will be closed in 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

So that leaves us with 5 Ryanair routes from Cork; London x 2, Carcassonne, Liverpool & Dublin.

Carcassonne is gone also, I believe. At least there are no flights there in September

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

The EMA, glasgow and carc routes were only introduced around christmas for the first of them so losing these routes would only revert a situation to a year ago, Also the claim of 200 job losses seems hugely exaggerated to me as i know Servisair (Ryanairs handling agency in Cork) did not even hire a 5th of that number to cope with the extra routes. The charges at cork airport are horrendous. Any of the ground handling companies will tell you that. Alot of the equipment in the new terminal isnt being used due to the charges the airport want for them. i.e the automatic ticket pulling machines. Also theres only 1 airbridge because airlines wont pay the charges to use them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

There's a Shannon-Edinburgh route with Ryanair if you want to get to Scotland cheaply. I know it sucks travelling to Shannon but it works out way cheaper than with Aer Arann regardless.

It does suck that they cancelled that route though.

Good news, Aer Arann have taken up the Cork-Prestwick route. Some of the fares are quite cheap too, from around €60 return.

http://www.aerarann.com/about_us/news.htm#040908b

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Good news, Aer Arann have taken up the Cork-Prestwick route. Some of the fares are quite cheap too, from around €60 return.

http://www.aerarann.com/about_us/news.htm#040908b

Great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

That Cork-Nottingham EMA route was so handy for me! Now i'm gonna have to travel from Shannon to see Forest play :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

BMI fly to birmingham and so due Aer Lingus. I didnt think it was that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I want Ryanair to do some nice cheap Munich flights!!! I want Oktoberfest, but from cork the closest they can get me is Engand I think!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

Aer Lingus are cutting their Cork-Prague route on November 3rd.

I want Ryanair to do some nice cheap Munich flights!!!
    Aer Lingus do Cork-Munich in October. AFAIK Ryanair don't do flights to Munich from anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Aer Lingus do Cork-Munich in October. AFAIK Ryanair don't do flights to Munich from anywhere.

Aer lingus do flights, but I have €200 altogether so not enough for the flight never mind surviving!!!

Ryanair are idiots like that!!!

Advertisement