Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My little Rambo

Options
  • 27-08-2008 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hey everyone! I was a little concerned about my cat last night when I came to bed. He always gets a cuddle and all that but his purring sounded a little chesty?? It was strange. Just wondering if anyone with veterinary nursing exp or vet exp could tell me if its something that I should have looked at. He is eating well (As always), in great form, hes well looked after and gets his regular worm n flea treatments and yearly vaccinations.... Just dont want to have to bring him to the vet if its not necessary cause the poor fecker gets major, major stressed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

Nanook32 wrote: »
    Hey everyone! I was a little concerned about my cat last night when I came to bed. He always gets a cuddle and all that but his purring sounded a little chesty?? It was strange. Just wondering if anyone with veterinary nursing exp or vet exp could tell me if its something that I should have looked at. He is eating well (As always), in great form, hes well looked after and gets his regular worm n flea treatments and yearly vaccinations.... Just dont want to have to bring him to the vet if its not necessary cause the poor fecker gets major, major stressed.

I have worked as a Vet Nurse, its very difficult to say without seeing him or listening to his chest but if you could check these things out it might help.

1 is he breathing with his mouth open alot
    2 are his gums a blue/grey or pale colour
    3 is he lethargic in anyway
    4 is it prolonged (more then a day or two)

If the answer is yes to any of these then you need to see a vet.

Sometimes hairballs can cause them to get a little chesty, but they normally cough it up quite quickly and thats the end of the rumble.

I would sujest (because i cant see him) that if you are worried take himto the vet.

I hope this helped a little

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Nanook32

He has not shown any of the above symptoms. Not yet anyway he is sleeping atm so I may go and have another listen and see if it is still there. I only just noticed it last night at 1:30am.
    Thanks so much for your help though. Now I know what to look for.
    I will keep ya posted :)

Also if you have any tips regarding cat boxes and how to get him in there easily I would appriceate that alot! And keeping him calm in there too would be great... He gets major stressed.

ha ha i am assuming youre talking about a cat carrier and not a sleeping cat box or litter tray ... just to make sure.

I have found that most cats hate it ... absolutley dispise the dang things. There are one or two things you could try but chances are he will never really and truly love it. If you have a cat box you can take the lid off of then take it off so it looks more like a tray, and put it near his bed for a few days, getting closer and closer to his bed.... dont pay any attention to it yourself. Then when you get close enough put his bed (or part of his bed) in it and spray some cat nip. Give him a few weeks to get used to now sleeping in half the box.

Having done that i would then put the lid on but remove the door of the cat box altogether if you can. Chances are he will be a bit doubtful of going in but if you pay no attention and spray a little catnip in there he will get used to the idea. then put the door back on but leave it open. when you have to take himto the vet bring bed and all that is in the box so he is more comfortable. Thats the way i did it with mine and i think they are the only two cats i know who loved going to the vets lol.:D

Thanks a mill lost in nappies. All my other cats I've had were not nervous at all and didnt mind the cat box but he is just so spooked my everything!!! And I hear it gets no better as they get older ha ha I am in for some treats :P
    Thanks a mill for you help though. I will try that.
    PS. He still has the chesty little purr but he is still his usual happy little self. He is only one and 8 months like so hes still a young cat. If it doenst improve next week I will book him in for an app anyway.
    Thanks again :D

• Advertisement

youre very welcome, anything i can do to help.

By the way, cats can get asthma too lol. Funny, their own fluffyness makes them wheeze. If its asthma, then its just something you keep an eye on and he might be more prone to chest infections.:)

Advertisement