Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching DSL providers - normal delay?

Options
  • 27-08-2008 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I guess I was a bit naive about this. I thought I would ask for a switch and it would be pretty transparent. Maybe all preparations would be made for the switchover, and I would be called on a certain day to tell me to install the new router, or change the username/password on the existing one so as to make the new account work, and that the new provider would arrange the cancellation with the old one.

So, at work there are several of us switching from a corporate account to a personal one. One guy is switching to Eircom (who has his voice). Eircom say we must cancel the existing account, they will start the process and this guy may have to wait up to 2 weeks for re-connection. So I asked if any switcher has to accept such loss of service and they said absolutely yes...

I then spoke to Perlico, which I have my voice with, and they were much vaguer and suggested that I might almost have a seamless switch, and that Eircom was very strict and that they were not.

So... maybe I hoped for too much. How long is broadband usually down when a switch takes place?

Ix.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭MickyJoe

I just changed over from Magnet to Imagine. When I found out that the Imagine connection was ready I just reprogrammed my router and after testing I then sent an email to Magnet cancelling their DSL. No down time for me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

if you keep your phone service with whoever its with, then order broadband off whichever provider you wish( Perlico ) while keeping your current one, then when Perlico BB is enabled switch your phone service to them

Its a pain in the butt, but i did something similar recently( moved house and ordered a new phone line with eircon, then switched my utv account to the new number, only had to pay extra for 1 week of an extra phoneline to eircon but well worth it ), and it was seemless

The problem with switching is with the Eircom account number and that really only matters for the actual phoneline service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

Just to clarify.

In both cases I'm discussing, the broadband is with BT (corporate), and the voice service was to stay with the current provider. Eircom for my friend, Perlico for me.

Eircom say there is no way to avoid a potential (OK...might be less) 10 working day service disruption.

Perlico say maybe no disruption. They will try to be flexible.

It sounds from your experiences like it should be minimal or zero disruption.

Ix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

ixtlan wrote: »
    JEircom say there is no way to avoid a potential (OK...might be less) 10 working day service disruption.

Perlico say maybe no disruption. They will try to be flexible.

First off, I'd ignore what Perlico say. eircom own all the lines, and will be the ones who will do any and all switching. So it doesn't matter how flexible Perlico are, they are still at the mercy of eircom, and can do nothing about it themselves. However, when switching from one DSL reseller to another, there shouldn't be any delay anymore. There used to be a few years back, but it seems that the switch is simply a software change, and all you do is put the new username and password in the router, when you get it.

The only pitfall I can see is that if the BT corporate account you have now might cause an issue when changing to a personal account.

Advertisement