Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Number plates

Options
  • 27-08-2008 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

Can Irish numbers plates be changed, like from LK to MN?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

not14talk wrote: »

No, they cant. Why do you want to change from a bog reg to annother bog reg?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

not14talk wrote: »
    They can only be changed in very exceptional circumstances. The 'Popemobile' in 1979 had a plate transferred from another vehicle and Dublin Bus managed to get a transfer for a special millenium bus (88 D 988).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The 'Popemobile' in 1979 had a plate transferred from another vehicle...
    So, unless the vehicle is a Bennymobile, the answer is: No. :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

They can only be changed in very exceptional circumstances. The 'Popemobile' in 1979 had a plate transferred from another vehicle and Dublin Bus managed to get a transfer for a special millenium bus (88 D 988).
    What was the reg of the popemobile?The MK1 granada limosine that was used at that event had the reg VIP1(kilkenny,august 1971),subsequently sold in england recently for around250.000stg.You can see a picture of it in one of the books that was printed afterwards.
    The millenium bus was a leyland atlantenD378 thats previous reg was 378IK.I wonder is it still about!

What was the reg of the popemobile?The MK1 granada limosine that was used at that event had the reg VIP1(kilkenny,august 1971),subsequently sold in england recently for around250.000stg.You can see a picture of it in one of the books that was printed afterwards.
    Perhaps it was the Granada. (That ended up with an undertaker in Letterkenny if memory serves me correctly - presumably without the plates!).

The millenium bus was a leyland atlantenD378 thats previous reg was 378IK.I wonder is it still about!
    Indeed - you know your stuff! :)

It's still on a bus according to cartell.ie
    Registration 88D988
    Make LEYLAND
    Model UNKNOWN
    Description Not Available
    Fuel Type DIESEL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

29a.jpg

dingding wrote: »
    29a.jpg
    Thanks for that! :)

That was in it's livery for European City of Culture!

It had a beige theme for the millenium and also had an all over advert for Radion washing powder! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭orbital83

A friend tells me you can do this if you re-register your car in NI, then bring it back to the Republic and re-register again.

Obviously quite difficult and expensive in practice, but there are some plates for which I would consider it!

John J wrote: »
    A friend tells me you can do this if you re-register your car in NI, then bring it back to the Republic and re-register again.

Obviously quite difficult and expensive in practice, but there are some plates for which I would consider it!
    Not possible, afaik. You get the original reg back. No VRT though!

Not your ornery onager

Always liked the look of these atlanteans
    29a.jpg
    Must be one of the first vehicles to have a personalised plate,i wonder how dublin bus got away with re registering an old bus on new plates.
    Its seen here with the first of the new euro plates,which were introduced in 1991.Im sure its tucked away in a garage somewhere,can any of the busheads confirm this?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

esel wrote: »
    Not possible, afaik. You get the original reg back. No VRT though!

That's exactly what happens....VRO put the VIN into their computer and it gives them the original IRL reg.

Always liked the look of these atlanteans
    It must have been 'roofed' by then. It was open-topped.
    Must be one of the first vehicles to have a personalised plate
    :confused: Lots of pre '87 vehicles had 'personalised' plates!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

It must have been 'roofed' by then. It was open-topped.

I don't think there was a reservation facility back then, but I am open to cited correction.

^ Unofficially (so no cite), there was.

Not your ornery onager

It must have been roofed by then.

Sorry,i meant personalised plates on the new system;):)

It was open topped for the 1988 millenium celebrations,Things were tight in dublin bus at the time moneywise.some scrap buses were repaired and put back on the road,how times have changed!!

ninty9er wrote: »
    I don't think there was a reservation facility back then, but I am open to cited correction.
    esel wrote: »
    ^ Unofficially (so no cite), there was.
    There was and they didn't come much better that this one! :)

BMW633CSi-2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I saw that BMW in Inchicore a long time ago. Outstanding reg.

In relation to the millennium bus and 88 D 988, does anyone else remember controversy about 88 D 1000. I have a vague memory about some people saying it should be reserved for the Mayor in the millennium year while others thought it should be auctioned for charity. The Gay Byrne radio show got great milage out of it (and the bloody millennium milkbottles!).

According to Cartell.ie, it's on a Beamer.
    Registration 88D1000
    Make BMW
    Model 730
    Description AUTO. 730I
    Fuel Type PETROL

Hagar wrote: »
    I saw that BMW in Inchicore a long time ago. Outstanding reg.
    Spotted in Brown Thomas car park last year!

In relation to the millennium bus and 88 D 988, does anyone else remember controversy about 88 D 1000. I have a vague memory about some people saying it should be reserved for the Mayor in the millennium year while others thought it should be auctioned for charity. The Gay Byrne radio show got great milage out of it (and the bloody millennium milkbottles!).

According to Cartell.ie, it's on a Beamer.
    Lookd like somebody knew somone in the registration office seeing as its on a 7 series!!Could have been the mayors car alright?

That CSI 633 is one of the best iv seen!!I bet the first owner was a happy camper when he bought that new!!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement