Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam bait anyone ?

Options
  • 27-08-2008 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

I put my car up for sale on CBG.ie and got this email from a very nice gent who want to buy the car unfortunately he is on a church mission in Mexico but is willing to send me a cheque

Hello,
    Thanks for the mail ..
    Having read your mail, everything is okay with me. I am presently in mexico on a church mission so i would rather instruct a client of mine in the state who is owing me to issue and send you the money by cheque cashable in EURO bank, if this is okay with you, kindly get back to me with your details as follows so that i could forward it to my client to issue and send the payment to you.

Email me your name as to appear on the cheque
    The address where you want to receive the check.
    Your phone numbers.

Once the cheque cleared, i have a reliable shipping agent company who will come over to your place for the pick up without given you any stress.
    If this suit you fine, kindly email me back asap with the requested details for payment...]

I expect your response,

Best regards,

John.

I have wrote back with my details anyone want to suggest a course of action here ?:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

BrendanD wrote: »
    I put my car up for sale on CBG.ie and got this email from a very nice gent who want to buy the car unfortunately he is on a church mission in Mexico but is willing to send me a cheque

Hello,
    Thanks for the mail ..
    Having read your mail, everything is okay with me. I am presently in mexico on a church mission so i would rather instruct a client of mine in the state who is owing me to issue and send you the money by cheque cashable in EURO bank, if this is okay with you, kindly get back to me with your details as follows so that i could forward it to my client to issue and send the payment to you.

Email me your name as to appear on the cheque
    The address where you want to receive the check.
    Your phone numbers.

Once the cheque cleared, i have a reliable shipping agent company who will come over to your place for the pick up without given you any stress.
    If this suit you fine, kindly email me back asap with the requested details for payment...]

I expect your response,

Best regards,

John.

I have wrote back with my details anyone want to suggest a course of action here ?:D

Cut to the chase. Tell him to go fcuk himself.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Take the cheque and say that your bank has charged a fee on top of the cheque and you need some money to cover that and then ask him to forward id so as to register the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

Hello,
    Thanks for the mail. I got your details and i can assure you that it has been forwarded to my client for immediate payment and please do not forget to notify me once you receive the cheque from my client, this cheque will cover your payment and shipping funds. all you need to do once you receive the cheque is to cash it and deduct your payment ,afterward send the remaining funds via western union money transfer to my shipping agent company who will be coming down to your location for the pick up....the rest of my funds is meant for the shippment of all my consignment including yours.., i will email you my shipping company details when you receive the cheque from my client.
    Less i forget, Do not forget to remove the Car from further advertisement and consider it sold to me.hope this is clear to you.

Reply upon receipt of this mail.

Thanks for your honesty,

John..

Let the game begin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Its likely he will 'accidentally' give you a cheque ( which may even clear if you lodge it ) for 'too much'.

He will then ask you to send back the surplus by cheque . Some time later the original cheque will be bounced out of your account in full .

You should immediately contact the fraud department in the institution the cheque is apparently drawn upon .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭rameire

this fraud ring has happened before and a person on boards reported it to the gardai, and they detained the person on arrival to pick the car up.
    the cheque will be lodged to your account after 3 days, then when the cheque reached the bank of the person sending it, they will inform your bank it is a fake cheque thus cancelling the cheque and the lodgement into your account. by this time you would have given the surplus refund to the person and they will have your money which you will have to pay back, and your car.

contact the gardai and ask them shall you proceed to lodge it or setup a meeting so as to catch this person.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ring the fraud squad in Dublin not the local plod . The fraud squad will arrange a 'pickup' .

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

ill report back in a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Ring the fraud squad in Dublin not the local plod . The fraud squad will arrange a 'pickup' .

Wait a minute. I thought the whole point of these scams is that they never pick up the car? It's purely about the victim unwittingly sending the 'overpayment' to another party. That is where they make their money...not from collecting the car.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Bad idea to give any personal details to these guys - it'd be wise to let the guards know in case a 'heavy' arrives at your door.

If you want to play him though, keep insisting the cheque didn't arrive or that you only accept money by western union - see how he likes it.

There are lots of baiting tips on the likes of 419eater.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

rameire wrote: »
    this fraud ring has happened before and a person on boards reported it to the gardai, and they detained the person on arrival to pick the car up.
    the cheque will be lodged to your account after 3 days, then when the cheque reached the bank of the person sending it, they will inform your bank it is a fake cheque thus cancelling the cheque and the lodgement into your account. by this time you would have given the surplus refund to the person and they will have your money which you will have to pay back, and your car.

contact the gardai and ask them shall you proceed to lodge it or setup a meeting so as to catch this person.

I can just imagine the face on the local desk sergeant if you march into the cop shop and ask them to help you setup a sting operation :D

the scam is quite simple, as others have said, you'll be sent a cheque for more than the requested amount and asked to send back the surplus by Western Union or similar. nothing to do with the car.

if you want to string these people along stick to email and don't give them any personal information

SSE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

This has been around a long time. Was a common thing on daft a year or two ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Checkout some examples here :)

http://www.419eater.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 p-flaps

Hi guys,

following on from the previous posters scambait email, i received this email and subsequent emails. looks like a scam to me, and is written in the type of broken english seen from the scammers in 419eater.com..

anyways, here goes.

first email from him:

Hi robert c,
    James T*** [t***_james773@yahoo.com] [+447xxxxx,+4487xxxxx] made an enquiry on CarZone about your The customer was examining this car : 2000 Honda Accordxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

James Teddy writes:
    Dear Seller,
    I was fortunate to spot your advert on the net and I like to know if it is still availabe for sale . if available,please get back to me with the following enquiries:
    Are you the first owner?
    Any accident?
    Your last price ?
    Present condition?
    Also the pics?
    where are you based?
    why did you intend to sell it?
    Pls get back to me immidatelly you read this E-mail
    I wait to read from you soon next..

having read the other posters thread only earlier, alarm bells started ringing immediatly, so i didnt answer most of his questions and simply wrote back:

Subject: FW: Enquiry about your Honda Accord from CarZone
    To: txxxx_james773@yahoo.com
    Date: Thursday, August 28, 2008, 12:17 PM

Yes I still have the car, by your phone number it looks like your basedin england? Never crashed, car is in dublin.If your interested txt my number from the ad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

Send him back your own enquiry starting with....

Why do you intend to purchase a secondhand honda?

and ending with.....

Why are you wasting my *****g time!

Even if he was genuine , why would you want to sell to someone like that.

this stinks of a scam alright, and this was his reply:

Original Message
    Sent: 28 August 2008 14:32
    To: Cxxx. Robert
    Subject: [SUSPECT SPAM]CO-ORDINATE

Thanks for the response to my mail.I have contacted my client and he is okay with the price.( WHAT PRICE, I NEVER GAVE HIM A PRICE!!)He said he will send out the CERTIFIED BANK DRAFT to you for as mean of payment......

Am very sure you are a honest person and like to transact with you.The CAR will be used in a MOVIE and the PRODUCER of the MOVIE will be very glad if you can sell the CAR to him for the MOVIE and also giving to you a previledge for you to come LONDON and look how your CAR will be used in the Movie...........(OMGZZZZ A MOVIE, LUCKY ME)

You have to note that the shipping payment will also be added to the actual amount and this will be handled by my shipper so you dont need to worry about the shipping.I understand that the payment will clear first before arranging for the pick-up and shipment of the car.
    So send the below informations so that the payment can be sent to you:

FULL NAME..............

FULL ADDRESS................

CITY..................
    POSTAL CODE..............
    COUNTRY........................

PHONE NUMBER(S)................
    LAST PRICE............................

Please note that a copy of the MOVIE will also be sent to your address when the film is PACKAGE .As soon as i recieve this details, i will ensure that you recieve payment in 3 working days.Kindly call me ( +xxxxxx,+447xxxxxxx)

so what do you guys think, shoul i ring carzone and inform them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Looks like it. immidatelly! FFS!

Whenever you're selling a car it's worth creating a new email address for just this reason.

SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭baldbear

Sounds good. Ask him does he take cash and you only accept €eurastupidcnut :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

this isn't a consumer issue. maybe an AH thread? the mods there might close it though.

i might email him back now and ask him the name of his movie and tell him i will only sell him the car if they allow me to be in the movie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Boing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭baldbear

Holy smoke. It could be a new back to the future film. You lucky dog. Send me on your autograph when filming is over;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

They are filming a movie in London soon called "How to con a Paddy"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Where is the scam here ? is he asking for your bank details anywhere?

afaik with these type of scams its better not to give any details to them.

if you dont think this is a scam you will msot likely end up being part of the 1% of suckers that get caught with these types of things.

heres an update:

Original Message
    Sent: 28 August 2008 15:07
    To:Cxxx. Robert
    Subject:[SUSPECT SPAM]RE:

Okay....but what did you do for living now

So you can send me your full details now

--- On Thu, 8/28/08, Robert Cxxx<Robert.Cx@xxx.ie>wrote:

Subject: RE:
    To: txxxx_james773@yahoo.com
    Date: Thursday, August 28, 2008, 2:04 PM

hmmm that sounds very interesting. whats the name of this movie if you dont mind me asking?

also, I will sell you the car under one condition, that i can get a part in this movie.

waiting for your response.

so he wants to know what i do, ill tell him i have done some acting now!!

and he aint gettin no details off me so he can forget about asking me that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

Just tell him to send the cashiers cheque to the shipper and for him to Western Union the pirce of the car to you :D

See how he likes them eggs :P

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭knighted

tell him to make the cheque out to 'biffo c/o leinster house ,kildare street ,dublin 2 '

that would be some craic to explain at a tribunal in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

I got an email, and replied with my details without thinking...so now Im going to ring the fraud squad i think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭magconn

p-flaps wrote: »
    Hi guys,

following on from the previous posters scambait email, i received this email and subsequent emails. looks like a scam to me, and is written in the type of broken english seen from the scammers in 419eater.com..

anyways, here goes.

first email from him:

Hi robert c,
    James T*** [t***_james773@yahoo.com] [+447xxxxx,+4487xxxxx] made an enquiry on CarZone about your The customer was examining this car : 2000 Honda Accordxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

James Teddy writes:
    Dear Seller,
    I was fortunate to spot your advert on the net and I like to know if it is still availabe for sale . if available,please get back to me with the following enquiries:
    Are you the first owner?
    Any accident?
    Your last price ?
    Present condition?
    Also the pics?
    where are you based?
    why did you intend to sell it?
    Pls get back to me immidatelly you read this E-mail
    I wait to read from you soon next..

Hi
    Just got same email from same email address (teddy). Guess what, he's gonna send me a a cheque and arrange all delivery. YEAH RIGHT !!! Is there any body to report this ****e 2? Getting more difficult to sell cars with this crap goin on!
    Thanks
    PS..anyone what to buy a mini !!!:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

Scam baiting is class.. some tips here
    Keep us posted.

Advertisement