Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam bait anyone ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

This exact scam was cover extensively by RTE 1 TV last week in their new consumers programme.
    Anyway it's no big deal to delete an Email you know. That's just one of thousands of scam/spam around. Just ignore it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭magconn

This exact scam was cover extensively by RTE 1 TV last week in their new consumers programme.
    Anyway it's no big deal to delete an Email you know. That's just one of thousands of scam/spam around. Just ignore it!
    thanks! Don't spend all my time glued to tv and I'm well capable of deleting an email. pardon me for asking a question! Jesus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭dietcola

lol... seems a bit fishy, but wheres the scam? obviously you need to wait fot the cheaque to be in your bank for at least 12 days... after that the cheaque cannot be recalled... at least i think its 10 days, check with you bank obviously...

other than collecting the car and changing the plates etc or exporting it to the UK or something would they end up with a free car when then the cheaque bounces within the ten days and they've taken it...

its your call mate, perhaps if you feel its a bit dod then sell it to someone else... if you desperate, suffer a lower bid down the local dealer... least you got some come back tho hay...

good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Buffman

There is a big sticky thread about this whole issue at the top of the motors thread, worth a read if your selling a car.

Basically, ignore any offers involving the export of your car, unless it's very rare or sought after.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

dietcola wrote: »
    lol... seems a bit fishy, but wheres the scam? obviously you need to wait fot the cheaque to be in your bank for at least 12 days... after that the cheaque cannot be recalled... at least i think its 10 days, check with you bank obviously...

Nope, the cheque will "clear" and be ready for you to spend in 10 or so days, but the issuing bank could come back 6 months to a year later and take it back, long after you've spent it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Buffman wrote: »
    There is a big sticky thread about this whole issue at the top of the motors thread, worth a read if your selling a car.

Basically, ignore any offers involving the export of your car, unless it's very rare or sought after.
    nobody in india or africa will pay to import clapped out irish bangers, they have more than enough of their own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

did the OP really fall for this???? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

just thinking this might be a scam lol

Dear Email Account User,
    This is to inform you that your email address has made you the 3rd prize winner in the just concluded Online promotion/award to mark the first draw for the year 2009 in the Irish National Lottery held in the United Kingdom,you have won 750,000.00 GPB. Contact the claims agent below to claim your prize.

Name : Dr John Mccall .
    Email: successalert@msn.com
    Phone:+44 704 576 2729,
    +44 703 184 9413 .

Regards,
    Jane Kuyy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Buffman

foggy_lad wrote: »

Dear Email Account User,
    This is to inform you that your email address has made you the 3rd prize winner in the just concluded Online promotion/award to mark the first draw for the year 2009 in the Irish National Lottery held in the United Kingdom,you have won 750,000.00 GPB. Contact the claims agent below to claim your prize.

+44 703 184 9413 .

Regards,
    Jane Kuyy.

Wow, your rich man, no more recession worrys for you!!!:D

Make sure you give them all your bank details and PIN numbers so that they can deposit the money into your account!:D
    NOT!

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭DubLass

What kind of car is it? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

foggy_lad wrote: »

Dear Email Account User,

+44 703 184 9413 .

Regards,
    Jane Kuyy.

A pittance compared to the money i've just come into.......

Hi,

I am Miss Joyce Williams from Ivory Coast, I need your honest assistance to transfer $ 9million U.S.Dollars from here. Please reply with your direct phone number if interested. I await your quick reply and i will give you the full details.

Yours,
    Miss Joyce Williams.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

thank feck google's spam filter is good and I don't see this ****e...1600 spam e-mails a month and I see maybe 0.000001% of them in my mailbox :)

Advertisement