Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clicky Brake Pads

Options
  • 27-08-2008 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭

At the last service on the car (about 4 weeks ago) the shop called me to say that the front brake pads were starting to wear thin and would need to be replaced within the next 2000 miles. I said fair enough and asked them to replace them now, as the car was in for its service anyway. This was done and the new pads were visible on the wheel and braking was fine.

Now, I've been in a few underground car parks recently (which helps with the sound) and noticed that when I reverse into a spot and apply the foot brakes a sort of click sound comes from the brakes. If I go forward and apply the brakes they click again. It sounds as if the pads are moving in their "holders" and the differing direction causes them to move either forward or back and generate the "click". This definately wasn't here before so its something new as a result of the pad change.

I've had no problems with braking in either direction the brakes bite fine and hold well - however I am curious about this click. Any ideas?

BTW Its a 03 BMW 325 Ci

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Magown3

Have you tried it over a bumpy street, say cobble-lock, with the windows down?

Sounds like the pads are moving around in the caliper. Is it possible they didn't use BMW pads as replacements? I'd be back to the garage anyway to get them to sort it out as this should definitely not happen.

I have the same problem with my car except that on mine, it's the caliper that has worn a little and so need replacing.... which is way more expensive than a couple of pads :(

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Bring them back to the place that fitted them and have them check them.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,511 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Exact same thing with mine. Its a fairly loud pop. Doesnt seem to be affecting brakes though. Only happened after changing pads and discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Had the same problem when I got new pads on my A4. If you take off the wheel and check to see if the pads are sitting securely in the calliper.One of mine wasn't.There's a kinda spring like thing that has to be inserted inside the caliper.Mine was on the outside.You can always compare it with the one on the other side of your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

This can happen when spurious pads are fitted, they are a tiny bit longer in the calliper than the Original Equipment ones. They are also about half the price & probably not as dust-generating as the Original BMW ones.

I go with O.E. pads currently but over the years I used to get get the ATE or TexTar pads as these are exactly what BMW buy & stamp BMW one.
    Just got lazy then getting them mail order/internet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement