Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How xenophobic is Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Ahh don't worry about it. Ireland is not a shabby place at all. One thing which many foreigners find a little strange and hard to deal with at first is the slagging. Irish people love to take the pish out of each other and anyone else they may consider a mate. They don't mean any harm by it and just give as good as you get.

So what if your american, we're a tad racist (just look up threads on roma gypsies and nigerians) but we're not that bad. We certainly won't hate or resent you just for being american. Pretty much the only thing you'll commonly get slagged about is bush.

The last few years with a booming economy have been good for us, the genepool has been increased and we've been opened up to other cultures. We were quite a closed society for a long time, no-one really came here.

I don't know how you'll integrate. In many ways we are quite similar to america, indeed the english speaking world does seem to be becoming americanized but I can only imagine (having never been to the US myself.... yet) that you will see huge differences. The consumer is king hasn't quite caught on here yet.

I have no idea how old you are and I'm not prying but irishmen have been swept up by the sea of young foreign ladies that have arrived here in recent times (just search for foreign/polish women threads in AH) and as a foreign lady they'll be just as appreciative of you.

As B and others have mentioned don't read too much into what you read here. It is boards after all and it's easy to say anything you want without fear of reprocussion sitting in front of a computer screen. Things are often at an exaggerated level. By and large the average paddy is a happy chappy and he'll be happy to have you here.

Oh and we absolutely love to complain, even if it's about small things. We love to complain to each other but rarely do we do it when we have had bad service from someone/somewhere etc. That may enlighten you a little and explain what you see on boards. People vent here when they really should have done it in the moment.

That is way too serious and helpful for AH. More suited to PI. :D

Also :D at the irony of "americanized"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Ehh it also means sh*thole.
    Didnt you notice the wink smiley after the word sleeping ?

Spoilsport :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

latchyco wrote: »
    Didnt you notice the wink smiley after the word sleeping ?

Spoilsport :(

Heh sorry I thought you were being sincere, even with that wink. Heh it's late!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,251 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

PillyPen wrote: »
    What's a kip? :confused:
    I lol'd

kintaro as usual paints a fairly accurate view of things though I never tell him that

Accurate or boring..... hmnnnn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,251 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I have no idea. I've sobered up since that last post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

I have no idea how old you are and I'm not prying but irishmen have been swept up by the sea of young foreign ladies that have arrived here in recent times (just search for foreign/polish women threads in AH) and as a foreign lady they'll be just as appreciative of you.

I'm 24. Ahhh yeah, prime! :p But some of the foreign ladies on boards have had trouble picking up Irish men because apparently they (the men) are very shy. Laaaaaaame!
    Oh and we absolutely love to complain, even if it's about small things. We love to complain to each other but rarely do we do it when we have had bad service from someone/somewhere etc. That may enlighten you a little and explain what you see on boards. People vent here when they really should have done it in the moment.

Why don't they complain at the moment? Is it considered rude or something?

Thanks for the post, very comforting! :D
    Imagine all the peeeeeople... living something something ooooooh oooooh oh oh

I have absolutely no idea what you were trying to say here. Lol, still trying to figure it out and have no clue whatsoever.
    latchyco wrote: »
    Sleeping ;)

you'll be fine and hey you might even pick up a north/south side dublin accent although they do vary in depth

Have you heard Americans with Irish accents before? That would boggle my mind. I guess I'll inevitably pick up some of the pronunciation. Nice party trick if I ever decide to come back to America, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Hey PillyPen I've been living in America all summer.. for the most part we have been very welcomed.. especially in Boston, but you're always going to meet a few people that don't like you, although being Irish in America is alot easier than being American in Ireland.

I meet alot of Americans through work at home, most of them hate Bush, are very well spoken, very polite and very hot.. So if you have any of these qualities I personally welcome you to our humble country!

*SH*T this is AH, emmm uhhhh GAY MARRIAGE? FCUK THEM F*GG**S!! Ahhhhh, much better :)

Dave147 wrote: »
    Hey PillyPen I've been living in America all summer.. for the most part we have been very welcomed.. especially in Boston, but you're always going to meet a few people that don't like you, although being Irish in America is alot easier than being American in Ireland.

I meet alot of Americans through work at home, most of them hate Bush, are very well spoken, very polite and very hot.. So if you have any of these qualities I personally welcome you to our humble country!

*SH*T this is AH, emmm uhhhh GAY MARRIAGE? FCUK THEM F*GG**S!! Ahhhhh, much better :)

I love that quote from Family Guy in your sig! Ha, I laughed for a good five minutes the first time I heard it. Good times.

You've really met people in America who didn't like you? That's funny, I always thought the Irish were a great novelty over here. Although there are a lot of you in Boston, I believe. Great city though, one of my favorites in America.

I voted for Bush twice, talk like a redneck, take delight in breaking social niceties, and look like a linebacker. Where's my fancy welcome now??? :mad::pac:

I love that quote from Family Guy in your sig! Ha, I laughed for a good five minutes the first time I heard it. Good times.

You've really met people in America who didn't like you? That's funny, I always thought the Irish were a great novelty over here. Although there are a lot of you in Boston, I believe. Great city though, one of my favorites in America.

I voted for Bush twice, talk like a redneck, take delight in breaking social niceties, and look like a linebacker. Where's my fancy welcome now??? :mad::pac:

Lol it reminds me of a couple from Texas I met in a bar in New York, Josh and Joan.. Josh was anti Bush and Joan was pro-Bush, as soon as she said she was we just changed the topic and had a great night. I'd do the same with you! Yeah we were loved in Boston, despite so many of us we weren't all cramped into the one place, however in California we're living near Santa Barbara, in Isla Vista and the place has been taken over by Irish. We are no novelty here lol! Going back to Boston next year definitely.

...did you really vote for him twice though...?

• Advertisement

Dave147 wrote: »
    Lol it reminds me of a couple from Texas I met in a bar in New York, Josh and Joan.. Josh was anti Bush and Joan was pro-Bush, as soon as she said she was we just changed the topic and had a great night. I'd do the same with you! Yeah we were loved in Boston, despite so many of us we weren't all cramped into the one place, however in California we're living near Santa Barbara, in Isla Vista and the place has been taken over by Irish. We are no novelty here lol! Going back to Boston next year definitely.

...did you really vote for him twice though...?

No, none of that was true. I despise the man and would never vote for him. Now it's Obama! Although my mom did vote for him twice. :(

Wow, Cali, never been there. What a lucky man!

Lol I should've known, the person you were passing off as yourself would never survive on this site lol! I must admit I'd find it hard to take a Bush voter seriously, I would just think something has to be missing if they're voting for him. So what's your plan? Moving to Dublin or just coming for a year or something? Make sure you travel around anyway, you'll miss out on alot of our culture by staying in Dublin. I would definitely recommend spending some time in Cork, February being the best time to visit. The place goes mad for rag week..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

I have absolutely no idea what you were trying to say here. Lol, still trying to figure it out and have no clue whatsoever.

Have you heard Americans with Irish accents before? That would boggle my mind. I guess I'll inevitably pick up some of the pronunciation. Nice party trick if I ever decide to come back to America, I guess.

:eek: He was singing 'Imagine' (poorly)....pfffft....:confused::D

My housemate in college is from Boston but his accent is turning to the darkside, he sounds have American half Limerickan... its mad!!

"Hey guys, quit goofin around or I'LL FOOOKIN SHHHTAB YUH...":D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Once you have a sense of humour you'll be grand :) Also, we swear a lot and slag the holes off each other but once your a sound chap you aren't going to have any problem. Americans that leave their country tend be be open minded and enough to know there's an airport with planes that fly over the sea

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

javaboy wrote: »
    Ha you don't have a country! You're like Tom Hanks in The Terminal.

Or Superman in Superman. Or Tommy Lee Jones in that Coen Brothers film.
    How'd you get to be so patronizing?

Don't mind javaboy, he just likes to pretend he's a lawyer on boards 'cos the exams were too hard in real life.
    Why don't they complain at the moment? Is it considered rude or something?

It's just not the done thing. It is okay if the service is atrocious but generally not done where it's just not very good. Once you arrive I'm sure you'll pretty quickly get a feel for what goes and what doesn't.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Don't mind javaboy, he just likes to pretend he's a lawyer on boards 'cos the exams were too hard in real life.

You're right. I was never called to the bar. I've had to be called away from a few though.

Anyway you lot can call yourself Americans, Irish, mudbloods or whatever you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 R.orla

don't worry!
    I'll be grand! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

how well you'll intergrate is probably inversely proportional to how offended you get at the word "cunt"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

how well you'll intergrate is probably inversely proportional to how offended you get at the word "cunt"

Indeed this is true!

R.orla wrote: »
    don't worry!
    I'll be grand! :)

That's great.

Who are you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

pretend your canadian.... DONE

pretend your canadian.... DONE

Pretend her Canadian done what?

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Pretend her Canadian done what?

:D Nice work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Sure , have heard loads although some dont do the irish accent very well

.For instance Martin Sheen is a fine actor but in the movie version of 'Da ' now every time he opened his mouth and said ' Da ' ...YUK .

I imagine if you were from the bronx in NYC then the dublin slang would go easy on yer ears, however it might be lost on somebody from Southern california
    Heh sorry I thought you were being sincere, even with that wink. Heh it's late!
    Yeah , doesnt everybody know kip has a double meaning kip = ****hole / sleep ? well they do now .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Pretty much the only thing you'll commonly get slagged about is bush.
    So make sure you keep yours nice and tidy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭david_the_great

As you can tell from my sig, I'm leaving the US for Dublin in about a month. I've never been and I must say some threads on boards are scaring the crap out of me. I've heard lots of good things about the Irish attitude towards foreigners, but as the time approaches I'm paying more attention to the bad and now I'm petrified that I'll spend the next year of my life with no enjoyable contact with the Irish! I'm not a big supporter of America myself, so I don't get bothered by people pointing out the flaws in American culture (as long as it's legit). I'm more afraid that people are going to hear an accent and immediately start abusing me personally for being American.

Anyway, I'd like to know what I'm in for so I can brace myself. All feedback will be appreciated.

irish hate people foreign i.e polish and blacks- its stupid really but we are catching up which shows progress-

i dont think we have anything against americans

djpbarry wrote: »

Ba-dum tshhh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Freddy Krueger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb4xIkdI79k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EreeG7vMzGQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45GIQjEEI6M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVQY9hbm5-Q

http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0501/poll.html

I think I helped you enough. Stay away from this country. UK has so many opportunities and there is so much restriction against racism... Ireland needs to embrace more love than judgment...

I really wonder if you hate us so much all the Europeans then why you don't withdraw from the EU?

djpbarry wrote: »

Were I have to have one that's what I'd do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb4xIkdI79k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EreeG7vMzGQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45GIQjEEI6M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVQY9hbm5-Q

http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0501/poll.html

I think I helped you enough. Stay away from this country. UK has so many opportunities and there is so much restriction against racism... Ireland needs to embrace more love than judgment...

I really wonder if you hate us so much all the Europeans then why you don't withdraw from the EU?

Ireland is European, whether it's in the EU or not.

Advertisement