Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How xenophobic is Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

ah don't worry...the Irish hate people from the neighbouring area/town/city/county/country. So we'll just take the piss a wee bit out of you and your accent and your leaders and Paris Hilton and how bad your cars are... but apart from that you'll fine.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

gcgirl wrote: »
    I see Walker Wrote ''The Color Purple'' !!

Yes, she's pretty famous! This video is awesome, too, because it shows her range. She isn't even an actress!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X4-VtkriKY
    ewj1978 wrote: »
    ah don't worry...the Irish hate people from the neighbouring area/town/city/county/country.

Lol, I hadn't thought of that but I did notice it on boards, now that you mention it. How funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

PillyPen wrote: »
    Yes, she's pretty famous! This video is awesome, too, because it shows her range. She isn't even an actress!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X4-VtkriKY

Lol, I hadn't thought of that but I did notice it on boards, now that you mention it. How funny.

yeah take waterford and kilkenny atm for instant!!. more serious one's to out there but i cant think, it hurts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

cork and kerry, cork and waterford(deise bastards), cork and limerick, cork and... ya get the picture.... btw pillypen don't go round saying "how funny" in Dublin as this will result in almighty piss taking... say "DEADLY" or "Class" etc... learn the local vocabulary and You'll fit in with those Dublin langers easily... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

cork and kerry, cork and waterford(deise bastards), cork and limerick, cork and... ya get the picture.... btw pillypen don't go round saying "how funny" in Dublin as this will result in almighty piss taking... say "DEADLY" or "Class" etc... learn the local vocabulary and You'll fit in with those Dublin langers easily... :D

It should be really classed as ''The Peoples Republic Of Cork'' With Roy Keane as El Prez !!
    Personally i hope Cork beat Kerry in the Gaa !!

• Advertisement

Well, in real life people tend to say "that's hilarious" or something along those lines. Americans would sound pretty dumb saying "class" or "deadly" imo. But maybe I'll get over that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Well, in real life people tend to say "that's hilarious" or something along those lines. Americans would sound pretty dumb saying "class" or "deadly" imo. But maybe I'll get over that.

if you hailed form waterford you would be saying "that fair deadly" or thats "fair class" , carlow you would be saying that "quare deadly " etc!

maybe you should try one out those:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

You should get a copy of this book then when someone makes fun of an "american" word you can point out it probably has an Irish origin.

You should get a copy of this book then when someone makes fun of an "american" word you can point out it probably has an Irish origin.

Have you read that book? It actually looks very interesting deadly? Or is that just for funny stuff? See, it already sounds ridiculous.

Have you read that book? It actually looks very interesting deadly? Or is that just for funny stuff? See, it already sounds ridiculous.

Yeah it is deadly, and I have read it. It goes through a lot of different words and their origins. Many of them are just homophones that got (mis)translated or adopted by a different group and the original meaning was lost. There's also a dictionary at the back. So for instance he traces words like babe/baby, poker, baloney, slum, dude, dig, dead rabbits, jazz, wanker and a ton of other ones back to their Irish origins. (Babe, poca, beál ónna, 's lom, dúd, thuig, dead Ráibead, teas, uath-anchor in case you were wondering-doubt they'll mean much to you though).

• Advertisement

Yeah it is deadly, and I have read it. It goes through a lot of different words and their origins. Many of them are just homophones that got (mis)translated or adopted by a different group and the original meaning was lost. There's also a dictionary at the back. So for instance he traces words like babe/baby, poker, baloney, slum, dude, dig, dead rabbits, jazz, wanker and a ton of other ones back to their Irish origins. (Babe, poca, beál ónna, 's lom, dúd, thuig, dead Ráibead, teas, uath-anchor in case you were wondering-doubt they'll mean much to you though).

Sounds a little like the dad in My Big Fat Greek Wedding who was always finding ways to trace all English words back to Greek. What do babe and dúd mean originally?

Báb=baby, literally. Dúd=a dapper man, a foolish looking fellow, a dolt, a numbskull. Also, variations are Dúdach=rubber necked, queer (not in the gay way), and Dúdaire, a clown. It was common for fancy looking chaps to go down to the rough side of town in search of a bit of fun, a fight to watch, etc. They would've been called dúd's, but probably figured it was a term of endearment rather than an insult (how would they know?) and so it became common vernacular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

ah dont worry about anything..apparently almost 50 million americans claim some Irish heritage so no doubt you'l fit in the crowd well..and the fact that you have that accent on you will make you stand out in a good way, people will slag the utter piss out of you but thats the Irish way of saying hows it goin..take nothing of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Freddy Krueger

It just seems that the author of that graffiti was posing a friendly question! :D Everyone's been really nice to me and my American buddies so far, it's been great. A bit of slagging about politics, but I think at this point everyone feels sorry for America and how pathetic we are more than anything else!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Sounds a little like the dad in My Big Fat Greek Wedding who was always finding ways to trace all English words back to Greek. What do babe and dúd mean originally?

About as much research went into both.
    Everyone's been really nice to me and my American buddies so far, it's been great.

This is the honeymoon period. Wait till McCain gets in and dies. That backlash is gonna be big.

Also, make with the mint M&Ms already.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    About as much research went into both.

This is the honeymoon period. Wait till McCain gets in and dies. That backlash is gonna be big.

Also, make with the mint M&Ms already.

Blasphemer!! If Sarah Palin becomes president nothing positive will ever come out of America again.

There weren't any mint M&Ms, I looked. I only found almond and peanut butter ones!

Blasphemer!! If Sarah Palin becomes president nothing positive will ever come out of America again.

You know it's going to happen though. So close, you can almost taste it. Unlike my mint M&Ms. :mad:
    There weren't any mint M&Ms, I looked. I only found almond and peanut butter ones!

Whatever, hand over the stash already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Txgrl

HI everyone! I'm also planning on studying in Ireland next year and I'm kind of worried about how I will be treated being hispanic/latina. I'm guessing there aren't very many in Ireland. But I'm really friendly:)

There are more than there used to be! How's your english? That would be the biggest issue imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,251 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Txgrl wrote: »
    HI everyone! I'm also planning on studying in Ireland next year and I'm kind of worried about how I will be treated being hispanic/latina. I'm guessing there aren't very many in Ireland. But I'm really friendly:)
    Latina chicks are damned spicy.

Bring mint M&Ms and everything will work out fine.

There are more than there used to be! How's your english? That would be the biggest issue imo.
    My english is perfect,I was born and raised in Texas, I have a southern accent that always gets made fun of .:)

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Bring mint M&Ms and everything will work out fine.
    Yeah sorry, but I've never even heard of mint M&Ms. I'll look for them the next time I'm at the grocery store :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

You will get the occasional "George Bush is a dope" from other dopes, This place isn't half bad...Just don't go to Tallaght.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Conbro

I'm kind of worried about how I will be treated being hispanic/latina

lol nothing to worry about except dealing with a queue of guys to chat you up in the nighclubs:D

My english is perfect,I was born and raised in Texas, I have a southern accent that always gets made fun of .:)

I figured there was a good chance you hadn't been born in Texas, but yeah I think that would've been the main problem. You'll be grand. You can stay in my place. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Ireland racist...no.... except that we're the country that ran a tourism promotion in India - "Win a trip to Ireland" - céad míle fáilte - and the winner complained of racial harassment at the airport on his way into the country.

No, we're sophisticated types, far beyond that kind of knuckle-dragging nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

yeah i heard bout that
    twas quite recently wasn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

I've never been subjected to any sort of racial harassment in this country.

Advertisement