Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thinking of buying this 530d

Options
  • 27-08-2008 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

Sorry about the slightly long post here. I had posted a topic a few days ago about changing the rear seats on an e39 to split folding. Now I'm looking for anyones thoughts on this car which I had been talking about.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/530/D.-M./1166624/

It was brought down from the north about 6 months ago. The M5 babge would be coming off if I got it - not my cup of tea. Having said that its looks really well on the 18" M5 alloys which can't really be seen in the pics.

Its actually an SE model which has been converted to a sport i.e. sports suspension, panels, sports electric heated seats etc right down to a 6 speed gear knob (even though its a 5 speed) and petrol dash (redline is at 6200rpm instead of 5000rpm).

My two concerns were first of all as the dash has been changed there may be possible clocking. Also the mileage is very low for a 2000 diesel. However there is a service history and a HPI check already done from when it was brought down originally. I haven't seen either yet though. The service history is now in the post from the north and I assumed I would have to do the HPI check myself so I didn't ask about that when I test drove it. He sent me the chassis number when I asked for it but said he already had a HPI check that he can give me.

I was lucky enough to be able to drive a friends 03 530d down to the guy when I test drove it last week so I could get something to compare it to. The two of us test drove it and there really wasn't much between the two cars.

I have been looking out for one of these for a few months now and have also been keeping an eye on the UK sites. I was also considering either a 525i or 525d. No point getting a 520 as tax is almost same as 525 and a 530i is pushing an already stretched budget a bit too far. A 530d was always the first choice though. Anyway as far as I can see the I could save maybe a thousand for a similar UK car but with the extra hassle involved I don't think its worth it. My list of requirements were as follows: facelifted e39 sport, manual, multi function sports steering wheel, sports seats, aluminimum interior, digital climate control. A bit picky maybe but why not the way the current market is.

With the HPI check already done and if the service history looks good I'm tempted to go ahead with this. The e39 seems to be one of the most well regarded cars on boards so would like to hear anyones thoughts on this one...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Do your own HPI check (it's only £5 if you phone them and ask for an RAC one), call every garage stamped in the service book to make sure the car really was serviced as per the book, and have the car professionally examined. It could be fine, but it smells a bit iffy to me. Replacement interiors and dashes put me thinking of stolen/recovered, possibly not recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

jeez i don;t know about it at all mate, I'd just be so wary of anything thats been changed as much as this and then having just crazy low milage for a 3ltr Diesel

I can't imagine why someone doing 11k a year would do so much to a car like this, if they are big car enthusiasts surely they would have gone for a petrol car ?

Its so suspicious that I think I'd just walk away to be honest, they will be another one along in a week or two. Don;t let the excitment make you buy something you'll regret.

imo it has to have been clocked. It makes no sense at all, I just think you could be buying something thats trouble and if it turns out to be trouble you'll never sell it on. Have you tried offering him less, maybe 10,500?

:confused:

EDIT:

Its the lowest milage of any 530 on Carzone ! Most of them average 120k !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,363 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I wouldnt touch it either. No one messes about that much with a genuine car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Those headlights look like the crap ones off ebay.

And if the headlights have been replaced it appears to me that this isnt really a facelift model. The facelift occurs mid 2000 so this is likely a early 2000 registration.

I would say its definetly clocked, see if the red light comes on beside the mileage. It could be though that the speedometer unit was replaced to fix the common occurence of missing pixels in the mileage/onboard computer display.

I'd say you could do better to be honest, and well worth going over to the UK.

If I was you I'd go over to UK and pick up a dirt cheap model, I wouldnt worry AT ALL about engine size, just pick the cheapest in best condition with all the extras you can get like sat nav and electric seats.

The 520 is supposed to be good as you get to hear the lovely engine revving, I've a 528i and I only get to hear it in short bursts before you end up hitting 100mph so I wouldnt mind downsizing so I could hear more grunt!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is there much demand for a manual 530d?

• Advertisement
Advertisement