Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it infected?

Options
  • 27-08-2008 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi my girlfriend got a new tattoo yesterday around her wrist. She had a small one on the inside of her wrist before, and it was very swollen a couple of days after. It has only been one day, and it is still very swollen and red, she can feel like it is cutting of her sirculation. She washed it and put bepanthen on it last night, and she woke in the middle of the night and it had dried up as normal. But today she has washed it and put the cream on four times, but it is not soaking in. Instead it looks like gooey stuff on it, she gave it a wipe, and it looked like very dark green stuff or maybe it could have been black (the tattoo is all black). She has very sensitive skin, but she is careful with it and always cleans it. Do you think its infected? If it is what should she do with it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

Isar wrote: »
    Hi my girlfriend got a new tattoo yesterday around her wrist. She had a small one on the inside of her wrist before, and it was very swollen a couple of days after. It has only been one day, and it is still very swollen and red, she can feel like it is cutting of her sirculation. She washed it and put bepanthen on it last night, and she woke in the middle of the night and it had dried up as normal. But today she has washed it and put the cream on four times, but it is not soaking in. Instead it looks like gooey stuff on it, she gave it a wipe, and it looked like very dark green stuff or maybe it could have been black (the tattoo is all black). She has very sensitive skin, but she is careful with it and always cleans it. Do you think its infected? If it is what should she do with it?
    The goowy stuff is normal so she wouldn't worry about that, it should not feel like it's cutting off circulation.

However none of us here are doctors and to be honest I think her best bet would be going to the tattoist and asking him/her.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

^ What captain finger said

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Sean7

^ What captain finger said
    I don't know if that was intentional but from now on I'm always calling him Captain Finger.

Sean7 wrote: »
    I don't know if that was intentional but from now on I'm always calling him Captain Finger.
    It was, I've been calling him Captain Finger since a drunken Will typoed it like that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

It was, I've been calling him Captain Finger since a drunken Will typoed it like that! :D

And he's not even a real finger!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Isar wrote: »

I am not a doctor etc, and if you are worried deffinatly get it checked out by one. But the limp fluids that leak from a tattoo usually take a little of the ink with them (ditto the cream that she puts on it). On a black tattoo this can appear greenish. Some people swell more than others when they get tattoos done, and it may feel tight because the area is starting to scab up and swell too (scabs don't strech so well).

Just recently got a tattoo around my left wrist myself, and it did feel a little 'tight' for a few days.

(Does she swell alot when she gets tattooed in other areas? Does it stay swollen after the tattoo is healed? Or just for a few days at the start?)

It should be noted that getting tattooed is not natural as much as we love them. It is quite traumatic to the area where it happens, and it will swell, leak and scab just like any other wound. It just looks prettyer than a scar when it heals ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Isar

Hey there, well last night the swelling had calmed down and was swelling up a little in work today, so it must just be from execess movement so all is well. its scabbing up nicely now with not so much gooey stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 sillyGoldie

Tattoo's shouldn't scab!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

And yet when they are done by 99% of artists they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Tattoo's shouldn't scab!

What the fcuk? o.0

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 angelinalove

I am not interested in tattoo ya but it is fahion icon. she should take rest. don't work or move wrist and hand unneccessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

Tattoo's shouldn't scab!

I wish people wouldn't do this.

Tattoo's frequently scab, and not just because of artist error. I've been tattooed by a sizable chunk of the tattoo artists in dublin, and every single tattoo scabbed. Its just the way my skin is.

you can minimize it by looking after it properly.

As Hot2def said, tattoos can will and do scab in most cases. You've had a needle/needles puncturing your skin thousands of times, blood is drawn 99.9% of the time, your body needs to heal, so it will more than likely get some form of scab on it, and be slightly inflamed while your body tries to heal from the pretty substantial damage it has taken!

Advertisement