Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish radio is awful? ok so what are the best stations abroad?

• 27-08-2008 7:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭

Basically who listens to stations from abroad? What station format would you copy given the chance? I'm talking stations in the UK, OZ, USA etc. What presenters/formats/stations could show the Irish how to do it right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

TalkSport over in England is my main choice but since James Whale left I just don't listen to night-time radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

BBC Radio 5 Live. Loads of sport and late night discussions of events of day

Wouldn't agree that Irish radio is awful, seriously not one decent show at all OP?
    There are several I enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I like BBC Radio 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I love 5live sooo much better than newstalk ever will be, and Howard Stern from when i was in America 4-5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 parnellie

i quite like irish radio. Some stations have great chat shows bit of gerry ryan or ray darcy in the morning, the spin in the afternoon (very informative show, great for young people i think) and then finish of the day with adrian kennedy and jeremy dickson.:D love it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

5 Live is a great station, its a bloody shame we can only get it on cable or internet.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

parnellie wrote: »
    i quite like irish radio. Some stations have great chat shows bit of gerry ryan or ray darcy in the morning, the spin in the afternoon (very informative show, great for young people i think) and then finish of the day with adrian kennedy and jeremy dickson.:D love it!

you honestly think the spin is informative for young people , having listend to it , i believe mtv news is more high brow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Badabing wrote: »
    I love 5live sooo much better than newstalk ever will be, and Howard Stern from when i was in America 4-5 years ago.

BBC Radio generally is quite good. Each station has something at various points in the day to fill it up with BBC radio goodness, something RTE compeletely cannot do.

As for Stern, he's quite good but these days sounds fairly stale. I usually listen to his rivals, Opie & Anthony. Part of their show is streamed online too.

I'd also recommend the Lazlow show. He's the guy behind the radio in the GTA games and does a show every month on XM Satellite in the states, that's quite good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

BBC Radio 4, but that's just showing my age.

Some of the African radio stations I listen to on my Internet Radio are fairly interesting.

Virgin is pretty good for music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

TalkSport over in England is my main choice but since James Whale left I just don't listen to night-time radio.

I've been listening to TalkSport for over ten years at night time. I used to love Ian Collins & the creatures of the night but they've changed the programmes around. (I haven't listened in a while).

What happened to James Whale? Did he leave due to his health?

When I was living in Melbourne, I used to listen to JoyFM which was a community run gay & lesbian radio station. I listened mainly because they played Girls Aloud and Sugarbabes and Abba and Kylie (what? :o) but they had good current affair segment and an excellent segment on musicals every Sunday night. And they always played my requests!

Maybe not everyone's cup of tea but it got me through the work day!

http://www.joy.org.au/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

BBC Radio 1 is the only station to listen to in the morning, Chris Moyles is a bizarre but highly entertaining guy.

Arrow Classic Rock, for, err, classic rock.
    Capetalk 567, very interesting South African station
    RadioIO Grunge and RadioIO Bluegrass, does exactly what it says on the tin.
    1club.fm - cajun fest, flippin great genre that you'd never hear on Irish radio.
    Voice of Barbados, for music and morning rush hour traffic reports in a Caribbean style when your cooking your dinner in the evening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

BBC Radio 5 Live. Wall to wall sport & chat/ late night discussions/ Live + no repeats!

Irish radio isnt awful, but its pretty poor when compared to many UK Radio Stations, which
    have much better links, jingles, feeds, & which are just generally more professional in every way.

I also recommend BBC Radio2 4 music (all the festivals + soo much more) :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Dyflin wrote: »
    BBC Radio 1 is the only station to listen to in the morning, Chris Moyles is a bizarre but highly entertaining guy.

+1 i listen to radio1 whenever possible. Chris Moyles is great but cant get really annoying sometimes also the Live Lounge with Joe Wiley is brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

In general the big 3 BBC Radio stations are the bees-knees.
    On Radio 1, Moyles is class in the morning, then Whiley whos on maternity leave at the moment I think, has such a sexy voice.:D
    On Radio 2 Chris Evans, bar the 4minute traffic reports is a good listen too.
    5 live, and Richard Bacon then is perfect for sending me to sleep on the great ye-olde medium wave!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Hamish and Andy on the "2Day Fm" in Australia.

Greg and the Morning Buzz in America, (Can't listen on the net due to licencing or something, so i get the Podcast)

Adam and Joe on BBC 6 Music. Very entertaining.

Jonathan Ross on BBC Radio 2. Also great.

Chris Moyles on BBC radio 1. Verry Good. Been mention already thought.

Good stuff above. I suggest you have a listen.

Enjoy,

Steve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭More Music

Larianne wrote: »
    I've been listening to TalkSport for over ten years at night time. I used to love Ian Collins & the creatures of the night but they've changed the programmes around. (I haven't listened in a while).

What happened to James Whale? Did he leave due to his health?

Here you go.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055297076

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

CoastToCoast FM in America has given me much joy recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭nicolaonfire

BBC Radio 1
    I have it on, all day everyday.
    Great variety for the whole week.
    I find it hard to go back to listening to Irish stations now.

I intend to start checking out the other BBC stations now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Renny

I like irish radio, also enjoy these two stations from california:

http://www.indie1031.fm/4045_Listen_Live.php?id=27

http://www.radioparadise.com/content.php?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭TRSJ

Almost any of the stations on XM and/or Sirius satellite radios (online over here) from CNN radio and the Spectrum adult alternative rock or from rick dees top 40 current or casey casem with his retro shows. Great music and programming.

also from overseas triple M in Oz, Virgin and Rock FM (CHR station, not a rock station!) in Uk and almost any good all music or all talk US stations. Michael Savage although controversial US talk show host and slightly mad, is often the best talk radio I have heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

Fago_25 wrote: »
    Adam and Joe on BBC 6 Music. Very entertaining.

Thats a great show. Theres supposed to be a similar show on Sunday mornings but I've never bothered to check it out.

It's funny that people here love BBC Radio 1. An equivalent forum in Britain would hate it and Moyles in particular. I think over exposure damages shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭sdep

I listen to a lot of BBC Radio 3 & 4, probably because I grew up listening to them in the UK.

Radio 4 is like a radio BBC2, so great if you're TV-less. Programmes cover news & analysis (UK & international, very little Irish), arts, science, nat hist, comedy, books, food, religion, history, interviews, drama and more. No music (music discussion aside), no sport (OK, live international cricket & some rugby on LW), very few phone-ins, and no ads. Noone likes all the output, but everyone can find something. In Ireland, it's on LW everywhere, on FM in & near the North, and on-line, with almost everything from the previous week archived and often podcasted.

BBC Radio 3 plays mostly classical music plus some jazz, world music & full-length drama. Like a weightier and ad-free Lyric FM. On FM up North and on-line elsewhere.

If you're listening to the R4 archive and the BBC media player acts up (quite often right now), you might have more success with Real Player. The URL is e.g. rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk/radio4/2200_wed.ra for 'The World Tonight' starting at 10pm on Wed. Replace time & day with 24-hr start time & 3-letter day for your programme. Other BBC stations are less systematic, so you have to hunt around to find the right URL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

ANY good radio picks up radio 5 bbc, on medium wave ,at least in dublin,its best programs are on after 11pm,unless you are an english soccer fanatic.BBC radio 4 is a great culture /arts/current affairs station and bbc radio 2 is the best music station,is there any net station that plays such a wide range of music,with presenters who are actualy intersted in music.I think theres good programs on pbs usa,but alot of items are too short ie 4 or 5minutes long ,on progs like all things considered.
    I,VE heard some really bad music on local radio,down the country ,but i suppose each radio station has its own local audience,and they have limited resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

gamer wrote: »
    ANY good radio picks up radio 5 bbc, on medium wave ,at least in dublin,its best programs are on after 11pm,unless you are an english soccer fanatic.BBC radio 4 is a great culture /arts/current affairs station and bbc radio 2 is the best music station,is there any net station that plays such a wide range of music,with presenters who are actualy intersted in music.I think theres good programs on pbs usa,but alot of items are too short ie 4 or 5minutes long ,on progs like all things considered.
    I,VE heard some really bad music on local radio,down the country ,but i suppose each radio station has its own local audience,and they have limited resources.

What freq do you get 5 live on?? I'm in Louth at the border and it's a rubbish reception the whole way to belfast on MW606 or 909.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

It's not 606 its 693.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

I'm a BBC R4 addict for politics and culture (and also the Archers:eek:)

One show I love to listen to online while doing housework is Cartalk - its a really funny US show with two brothers talking about cars. Amazed the idea han't been robbed on this side of the pond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭DesignLady

I do like my Today FM but I love the Geoff show on Virgin Radio 10pm-1am(soon to be absolute radio) and have listened Geoff since the Pete and Geoff morning show (I used to live in the UK) and will be listening to the hometime show (his version of drivetime) that he is moving to.

I always listen to the Adam and Joe Podcast (BBC Radio 6 Saturday Mornings) I also like the Christan O'Connell show on Virgin but as it competes with Ian and Ray I generally just listen to the podcast.

Radio 4 Friday night comedy is brilliant too.

I have a little UK radio button on my windows vista sidebar that makes it easy to switch to UK stations.

Worst thing about Irish radio is the lack of DAB stations. I won a digital radio in the UK and the amount of stations it opens up is great. The best thing about Irish radio is that stations aren't as limited as in the UK. All music there seems to fit an exact sector with less crossover.

I do listen to the radio pretty much 7am-midnight but a benefit of being self employed I get to choose the station. Yay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Cant believe no-ones mentioned triple j!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I have a reciva radio and great for finding random stuff - you can search for Jazz from Ukraine if that is your thing.

There is a great classical station called Radio Swiss Classic (catchy as ever with their titles) which I go to sleep to.

I also listen to the Listen Again shows of Johnathan Ross and Dermot O'Leary, with O'Leary having good taste in music and often the band du jour in live session.

The US stations are scary - God rock here we come...

• Advertisement
Advertisement