Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying from UK: Stung when re-selling??

Options
  • 27-08-2008 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi All,

I can see the obvious cost benefits of buying particular cars in the UK, but would much of the cost saving be eaten into once you go to sell it on?? Do most private buyers not want a "genuine irish" car and view Eng imports suspiciously? Also, would a dealer give you a lower trade in for your import?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Also, would a dealer give you a lower trade in for your import?

Nearly definitely, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hi All,

I can see the obvious cost benefits of buying particular cars in the UK, but would much of the cost saving be eaten into once you go to sell it on?? Do most private buyers not want a "genuine irish" car and view Eng imports suspiciously? Also, would a dealer give you a lower trade in for your import?

Cheers

Well if you saved money when buying it over an Irish car you cannot really expect to get the same money as an Irish car when you go to sell it. What will get you the best price is the superior spec imo.

If the car has a fully documented and stamped service history with receipts, from the UK then a potential buyer who does the necessary background checks should have nothing to worry about. Alot of Irish cars have patchy service histories at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

bazz26 wrote: »
    If the car has a fully documented and stamped service history with receipts, from the UK then a potential buyer who does the necessary background checks should have nothing to worry about. Alot of Irish cars have patchy service histories at best.

Exactly, if you have the service history and hpi check etc, people will be more likely to buy. There's a load of UK cars in garages here that are less than 3 years old with their service history in the sea somewhere off Holyhead, these are the cars that people have to steer clear of.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

a "genuine irish" car

Afraid there this is no such thing. They all come out of the same factory. Only difference is that the UK once have a better spec and its easier to verify the history.

While car dealers would probably try to give you a lower price I would not let them get away with it. They won't sell it for any cheaper and half their current used stock would probably be made up of cars that were from the UK anyway and yours will be a better spec then the typical Irish car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

If a UK import has the same service history as its Irish equivelant I cant see it being worth less tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 tweaf

Add in MPH speedo and heavily salted roads, I can understand why dealers don't give similar trade in value to Irish cars!

MPH speedo will immediately get the new owner asking questions. They'll ask for additional proof that the car is squeaky clean, they'll be more suspicious about it.

As a dealer you'll probably have to either reflect that in the price or do the extra work and put together a package of information that removes all doubt about the providence of the car - extra work costs money.

Therefore you'll get offered less unless you've got the squeaky clean paperwork already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭NedKelly

tweaf wrote: »
    Add in MPH speedo and heavily salted roads, I can understand why dealers don't give similar trade in value to Irish cars!

"Salting" of roads using sugar based compounds
    no salt used whatsoever FACT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Hi All,

Cheers

If you look at a lot of the high end car garages in Ireland , the cars are uk reg anyway, so who is ripping off who?
    Is it a CARTEL?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

been trying the last few days to sell my own
    (uk import) paid nearly 14,000 and have only been offered 8,000/9,000....
    am totally in shock:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

minxie1 wrote: »

With the current economic climate and the new VRT system its going to be hard to sell a car as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

craichoe wrote: »
    With the current economic climate and the new VRT system its going to be hard to sell a car as it is.
    i suppose.... but hell its a hard lesson ive learnt here...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

NedKelly wrote: »
    "Salting" of roads using sugar based compounds
    no salt used whatsoever FACT

Source
    What do you treat the roads with?

We use small granules of crushed rock salt. This melts and helps stop roads freezing over.

FACT

And I'm sure they're not the only county.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭alias no.9

When did you pay 14k for the car? We've just been through one of the worst periods of depreciation for cars ever seen in this country, driven by a combination of weak sterling, VRT f#ckwittery, and economic turbulance.
    If you bought it more than a year ago, then there's nothing unusual in what you've lost given the circumstances. If you bought it more recently, why are you selling it so quickly?
    Cars are depreciating assets. Yes you can buy a car cheaper than retail and cheaper even than irish private sales by sourcing it in the UK, but turning a quick buck on these cars is not all that easy. The reason for this is that at the kind of money you'll need to spend to make a worthwhile enough saving to even consider going to the UK, the demand for private sales is pretty low. At those price points people either want the full backup that a dealer provides or else they want in on the action from the UK. On top of all that, every chancer in the country is out there in competition with you trying to make a quick buck selling on UK imports over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

if you bought the same car here for 3 grand more, ud still be offered the same trade in. the forecourts are flooded. they dont want second hand cars, they have no where to put them. with value of sterling you cant beat importing, and driving it for a few years and starting again.
    to consider a car as an asset is plain crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Depends on the car I would say. I have a uk golf tdi, which I think is more desirable because of the better spec than its irish counterpart. I think if you have a HPI check - which you should have done before buying the car - and a load of receipts since you've owned the car, there should be no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Somewhat related, since importing from the UK back in February, I have noticed that insurers seem to quote (online) on the basis that the car is NOT imported and you have to call them directly if it is.

Dunno if this has always been the case, but anyway, do they apply a loading to UK imports?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Somewhat related, since importing from the UK back in February, I have noticed that insurers seem to quote (online) on the basis that the car is NOT imported and you have to call them directly if it is.

Dunno if this has always been the case, but anyway, do they apply a loading to UK imports?

I wouldnt assume they do, I got a great deal from AXA and they insured it on the UK reg for six weeks. No problems for me. Its probably to do with background info so they can check the cars history themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

OP, all other things being equal, provided all the paperwork, sh etc is in order, I would rather buy an imported car.

Better specs
    Better roads - fewer shock/steering problems from pot holes, fewer scratches from bushes, motorway miles easier on engine etc.
    Better maintenance - I'm open to challenge on this one, but I reckon the brits look after their cars better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

yes, yes, all very well.........but over what period? Have you had the car a month/year/decade? The numbers don't mean anything without context.

In general, imho, a car costs (i.e. down the drain), 4.5k a year, end of story. If you can't hack that, get the bus. Car's ain't assets.......just ask banks and finance co's repo dept's...........

On the upside - hell of a time to be able to buy !!

Me, if I could sell my 06 Saab 1.9 TiD, I'd buy this in the morning - http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Saab/9-5/Arc-VentHeat/1013454/

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Try paying 38k for a car and then being offered 18k for it from the dealer 20 months, 1 service, 2 new tyres, and 11k miles later !

As for Uk import - Dealers use everything they can to make use as a big stick across your back. If you were trading against a UK car they would use it as a positive and the fact yours is not ex UK as a big stick to beat you with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

tweaf wrote: »
    heavily salted roads,

Please don't try and make out that a car driving on UK roads is worse off than Irish roads..... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Please don't try and make out that a car driving on UK roads is worse off than Irish roads..... :rolleyes:

The level of rust on fairly recent UK cars is much worse than equivalent Irish cars. It all comes down to the salt they use on the roads. That's not to say that the Irish car doesn't suffer more knocks and bumps from uneven road surfaces and potholes.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

So a salted roads during winter are worse than the continous line of potholes, humps and bumps we have to endure day in day out, ya buy an Irish car, it is better quality than a UK one!! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

alias no.9 wrote: »
    The level of rust on fairly recent UK cars is much worse than equivalent Irish cars. It all comes down to the salt they use on the roads. That's not to say that the Irish car doesn't suffer more knocks and bumps from uneven road surfaces and potholes.

And what do they use on Irish roads to get rid of the frost? Under road heating or something?

And what source gives you information about UK cars been worse than Irish with regards salting?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I've lived in both the Uk and Ireland and 50,000 miles in the UK is alot kinder to a car than 50,000 miles in Ireland, Hands down.

The road salt issue is like saying "How about the huge coastal population in Ireland and the sea salt issue"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Redsoxfan wrote: »

At least one company that I contacted last renewal time counted my car as an import (I'm presuming this meant it went in the special section for Japanese imports) even though I told them it was a UK import. The logic of this escapes me but then insurance companies know sweet FA about cars, as we know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

surely any half recent car has a decent amount of underseal and wont rush no matter what is used on the roads

blastman wrote: »
    At least one company that I contacted last renewal time counted my car as an import (I'm presuming this meant it went in the special section for Japanese imports) even though I told them it was a UK import. The logic of this escapes me but then insurance companies know sweet FA about cars, as we know.

Why would it make a difference? Do they think that cut and shuts are more common in the UK than here or that cars are ringed over there and not here? A little naive. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

yop wrote: »
    Why would it make a difference? Do they think that cut and shuts are more common in the UK than here or that cars are ringed over there and not here? A little naive. :rolleyes:

I'd say that the percentage of cars ringed or cut&shut is the same for here and there, but when you nick a car and ring it, you'll often immediately export it as it's less likely to be traced once it's out of the jurisdiction.
    If all our ringed/stolen cars were sent to the UK and all their ringed/stolen cars were sent here, we'd be flooded with them.

On top of the cars that are clocked or insurance written-off before getting here, it's not unreasonable to be a little more suspicious of UK cars until they check out as clean.

Advertisement