Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying from UK: Stung when re-selling??

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

AudiChris wrote: »
    I'd say that the percentage of cars ringed or cut&shut is the same for here and there, but when you nick a car and ring it, you'll often immediately export it as it's less likely to be traced once it's out of the jurisdiction.
    If all our ringed/stolen cars were sent to the UK and all their ringed/stolen cars were sent here, we'd be flooded with them.

On top of the cars that are clocked or insurance written-off before getting here, it's not unreasonable to be a little more suspicious of UK cars until they check out as clean.

That does make sense Chris, but then that is up to the buyer to check the car. But the checks in the UK are, I THINK, a lot more thorough than here?

There a loads of UK plated cars in courtyards here in Mayo, I wonder how much checking they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭NedKelly

the "salt" is made from sugar beet!!:D

SOURCE
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/coventry_warwickshire/4460100.stm

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

NedKelly wrote: »

LOL, nice to see it was been licked off the road :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

galwaytt wrote: »
    yes, yes, all very well.........but over what period? Have you had the car a month/year/decade? The numbers don't mean anything without context.

In general, imho, a car costs (i.e. down the drain), 4.5k a year, end of story. If you can't hack that, get the bus. Car's ain't assets.......just ask banks and finance co's repo dept's...........

On the upside - hell of a time to be able to buy !!

Me, if I could sell my 06 Saab 1.9 TiD, I'd buy this in the morning - http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Saab/9-5/Arc-VentHeat/1013454/
    have car since 17 nov 2007, not long at all,
    am being fleeced here

minxie1 wrote: »
    have car since 17 nov 2007, not long at all,
    am being fleeced here

Wow, that is a big fall in the space of time!!!

• Advertisement

yop wrote: »
    Wow, that is a big fall in the space of time!!!
    yeah tell me about it, paid maybe a grand too much at the start but thought id get at least 11,000/12,000 ...
    whats the story here like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

minxie1 wrote: »
    whats the story here like.

How much would it cost to buy and import a similar car (same model/age) from the UK now?

Zube wrote: »
    How much would it cost to buy and import a similar car (same model/age) from the UK now?
    not sure but have been looking online and 02/03 mk 4 golfs like mine are going for between 12,000/13,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Also, the Euro vs Sterling exchange rate has changed dramatically since then (in favour of the euro), which will put another dent in the price of your car vs the cost of importing the same car again today.

Stephen wrote: »
    Also, the Euro vs Sterling exchange rate has changed dramatically since then (in favour of the euro), which will put another dent in the price of your car vs the cost of importing the same car again today.
    true.... but christ its a major loss on my part i feel like crying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

AudiChris wrote: »
    On top of the cars that are clocked or insurance written-off before getting here, it's not unreasonable to be a little more suspicious of UK cars until they check out as clean.

I don't really see why, the system for checking cars is more thorough in the UK, in my opinion, and we share a language and a border with them so it's not that difficult to get the information if required. A car coming directly from Japan is a completely different kettle of sushi.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

blastman wrote: »
    I don't really see why, the system for checking cars is more thorough in the UK, in my opinion, and we share a language and a border with them so it's not that difficult to get the information if required. A car coming directly from Japan is a completely different kettle of sushi.

+1 - I think a car with a clean UK history is better than a car here - which will have practically none bar the service manual and the worthless NCT cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

But if you check the reg and VIN and it comes up clean, that doesn't mean the car's clean. It just means the VIN that's been attached to the flood-damaged car is the same as one that's clean.

But, as I say, if you have squeaky clean paperwork and you've taken the time to make sure people know your car is legit, you should get better money for it when selling it.

Advertisement