Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Place to get water chestnuts & bean sprouts?

• 27-08-2008 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭

I love making stir fry, etc. including water chestnuts, bean sprouts, etc. But I usually take the easy way out and use frozen stir fry vegetable mix including these ingredients. But I'd really love to make more effort with it now. I've seen bean sprouts in shops in the past, but I can't remember if they came frozen, fresh or what. And I have no idea where I would get fresh (are they obtainable fresh?) water chestnuts. Any recommendations in the Dublin, Galway or Limerick areas? Am I just a blind fool, and this stuff is in my local Tesco?? Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Fresh beansprouts are available in the veg section of most supermarkets. I personally haven't seen fresh water chestnuts in the shops but you can get them in tins in the major supermarkets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

The Oriental Emporium has three shops in Dublin - the big one beside the Luas stop in Abbey Street (near the Jervis Centre), and smaller ones in George's Street (beside the arcade, kind of opposite Yamamori) and Rathmines (they're very nice in this one, and there's a cold room in the back with leppin' fresh vegetables, including bean sprouts and fresh-made kimchi).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,057 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Bean sprouts in any supermarket and Asian shops often sell fresh water chestnuts. They look like chestnuts (funny that!) and need to be peeled and boiled for a few minutes. Tinned w. chestnuts are readily available too but aren't as nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Most supermarkets sell fresh beansprouts, usually near the salads and prepared veg, you can buy them in tins or jars too. Tinned water chestnuts should be available in all supermarkets too, near the jars of sauces. There's a few Asian supermarkets around Limerick and I'm sure they'd have fresh ones in you don't want the tinned ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,057 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've no problem with tinned water chestnuts, or bamboo shoots - but don't bother with tinned bean sprouts. They're terrible soggy things. Just leave them out if you don't have fresh ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

In Tesco, M&S, Dunnes etc, you can get beansprouts by the prepared stir fry veg usually. You can get them tinned (not as nice) by Amoy or Sharwoods.

Advertisement