Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting Adobe Indesign Files

Options
  • 27-08-2008 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have some files which were created on Indesign CS2 and are required to be used (just examined and looked at) in a machine with the original Indesign CS.

I presume the files can be converted so that they can be opened and examined, but I was wondering who would do this sort of thing and if it is a major thing.

Thanks R.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Used indesign briefly, if the files are for viewing only, as in get feedback for changes to be made etc then just save them as jpegs viewable on practically all computers or pdfs which can be opened on any computer once they have acrobat reader (which is free to download).

If your looking for backward compatible files as in CS2 to CS? Check out File / save as / and choose the appropriate options.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

If your looking for backward compatible files as in CS2 to CS? Check out File / save as / and choose the appropriate options.

That would what I am looking for alright - backward compatibility. It'd be dead handy if what you suggest worked. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Hank_Scorpio

In InDesign, choose FILE>EXPORT>Adobe Interchange (.inx)

These files can be opened in earlier versions of InDesign from CS3 to CS2 to CS

There are things that go astray with indesign files converted back and forward

Check out this
    http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=327526

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Rosita wrote: »
    That would what I am looking for alright - backward compatibility. It'd be dead handy if what you suggest worked. Thanks.

Ok I looked it up and here is the link:

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressmaterials/creativesuite/pdfs/id/id_faq.pdf

The information that you need is on page 8, but here is the relevant info copied and pasted here anyway:

Q. Can I save InDesign CS2 files in a format that can open in InDesign CS?
    A. Yes, you can. When you want to exchange InDesign CS2 files with someone who is still working in
    InDesign CS, you can export the file to InDesign Interchange (INX) format. Just choose File > Export, select
    the InDesign Interchange Format, and then click Save. A designer using InDesign CS can then open the
    file as long as they’ve installed an update to InDesign CS called “InDesign 3.0.1 April 2005 (Compatibility
    Upgrade).” This update is available free of charge on the Adobe website: Visit www.adobe.com/indesign or
    go to the Downloads area at www.adobe.com/support/downloads. Note that some changes to your document
    may occur because InDesign CS does not support all of the new features in InDesign CS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

I appreciate that advice, thanks, it worked out nicely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement