Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing from UTV Internet - BT or Chorus the better option?

Options
  • 27-08-2008 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Some advice needed please people. This time last year I signed up for the UTV 3mb package which was, at the time, the best option available to me (in Kilkenny city).

Fast forward one year and the local exchange is due to be upgraded by Eircom in September (hurrah) - but meanwhile BT and Chorus have both upped their game and I can now get either the BT 24mb package or the Chorus 20mb.

Ideally I'd prefer to stick with UTV (given the hassle factor of migrating), but I don't see any prospect of them (or strictly speaking I suppose Eircom whose product they're reselling) getting near these speeds anytime soon.

So folks, over to you - which provider would you recommend? Can you migrate a landline number over to Chorus? Am I missing any providers? Cost isn't the critical factor - I'll gladly pay more for reliability and service.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

Shameless bump - any views on BT v. Chorus? The satisfaction poll suggests that BT has more happy customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 yeshi

I've used Chorus/NTL for the past 3 years without any problems. I haven't upgraded to the 20MB deal yet but as a service provider I have no complaints with them and have only used their help desk once.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you confirmed that your line would take the full BT speed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I'd go UPC. BT are also a nightmare to deal with and you're more likely to get the full speed from UPC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

UPC all the way!!!

I just cancelled BT because there "unlimited" package is bullsh1t, they sent a letter to me praising themselves about the "unlimited" 24meg connection and as soon as I stretched the legs on my connection, BHAM you are using it too much so we are throttling you to sub ISDN speeds and not even the courtesy of an email to acknowledge this.

so FCUK BT

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote: »
    Have you confirmed that your line would take the full BT speed?
    I'm on a 24mb exchange if that's what you mean. As regards the line itself, at the moment I'm getting these numbers:

SNR Margin: Down 18. Up 22.
    Line attenuation: Down 26. Up 14.

Do they look promising?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bellapip

Hey there TJM,

I have a question for you, how did you find your UTV service?

I really only need 2MB/3MB speeds, I only use the computer for file transfers and web loading for our ezine etc, so even though I have a 5GB limit, I have never even gotten near it.
    My main interest for UTV was their cost price for calls to the UK and within Ireland, and the fact that they give a free wireless modem.

So, if you are moving because of faster speed I get that, but if you are moving because they are rubbish I wont hit the enter button for my account details.

Thanks,

:cool:
    Bell

I've never had any significant problems with UTV service. (Though they do seem to have occasional minor DNS problems.) I've found that the 3mb package does give close to 3mb in day to day use. I'd be happy to stay if they offered a faster package.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bellapip

TJM

Ok thanks for that, I really think they are who I will go with, they have all the bells and whistles I need for now.

Thanks for replying.

Bell:D

Advertisement