Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leisure centre Ballisodare

Options
  • 27-08-2008 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭

Anyone a member?
    I was thinking of joining but when I asked about it they said children don't have to be with an adult, so I have visions of it being packed with kids.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Yeah right, kids are lazy these days.

The pool would be my one concern - if that's packed with kids it would suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

as far as i can remember, i was told that kids aint allowed in the pool after 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I would normally go before 7pm.
    I think I might stick with the Sligo Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

My mum went out and said it was really nice,we are thinking of joining. I saw that membership is free for kids under 12...is that the same in all leisure centres?

bobcar61 wrote: »
    My mum went out and said it was really nice,we are thinking of joining. I saw that membership is free for kids under 12...is that the same in all leisure centres?

No its not and thats what puts me off.
    If someone joined with seven kids under 12:eek:
    Also put me off that the parents don't have to be with the kids.

• Advertisement

I think I would give it a miss,if its a quiet,relaxed atmosphere that your looking for and the last thing that you want is roaring children.
    Maybe if you call down one evening,have a look in the leisure center at the time that you may be going swimming and you will be able to see how many kids if any are splashing around.
    i.e If you would be going for a swim at 5pm most days,then call down some day at 5pm and see how busy it is.

Thats exactly what I thought.
    Also one of my reasons for joining a gym is that I have a son with special needs and he hated how crowded the sports centre used to get.
    Most of the times in the Sligo Park its fairly empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I heard the one in Ballisodare is quite pricey. But it's supposed to be very nice. Kids may be lazy, but Irish kids are so deprived of pools, playgrounds, community centers, tennis courts, football pitches etc., that the uptake may be quite high.

I don't think it's that pricey to be honest.Compare it to the Radisson SAS and I bet you would be going to Ballisodare Leisure Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

children u12 must be with an adult in the pool, over 12 are fine. Thinking of joining myself as we have two u12s so it would work out good value. If you are using the gym before 7 then the kids I would imagine wont be a big problem on school days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

il gatto wrote: »
    I heard the one in Ballisodare is quite pricey. But it's supposed to be very nice. Kids may be lazy, but Irish kids are so deprived of pools, playgrounds, community centers, tennis courts, football pitches etc., that the uptake may be quite high.

Sorry for taking this off topic but I disagree with that there is a playground in almost every town any more loads of football and community pitches , tons of sports availible to them, swimming is done at national school. I blame the parents for the amount of lazy kids around these days. I do a lot with kids football and kids are getting more unfit all the time if you are looking for a starting point problem then look at their diet and excercise at home.

bennyc wrote: »
    children u12 must be with an adult in the pool, over 12 are fine. Thinking of joining myself as we have two u12s so it would work out good value. If you are using the gym before 7 then the kids I would imagine wont be a big problem on school days.

The fella on the desk gave me wrong information then. I'll have to check it out again.
    It is cheaper then some of the leisure centres, but they charge a joining fee and the Sligo Park don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

bennyc wrote: »
    Sorry for taking this off topic but I disagree with that there is a playground in almost every town any more loads of football and community pitches , tons of sports availible to them, swimming is done at national school. I blame the parents for the amount of lazy kids around these days. I do a lot with kids football and kids are getting more unfit all the time if you are looking for a starting point problem then look at their diet and excercise at home.

Most swimming pools are not municipal. The town I live in has 2,000 people and no pool, no playground and no community center. There's a pitch which sometimes has no goals or isn't mowed off season, and during the 2006 World Cup, they ploughed it. I'm not looking for a starting point for anything, but in Ireland, facilities are still far behind other western European countries. Most playgrounds have only appeared in the last few years. At one stage, there seemed to be a policy of no upkeep, or in some cases, removal of playgrounds because the authorities didn't want to stump up for insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭sfhawke7w

some details re membership for Avena Leisure

it states in Terms & conditions that "members & guests aged under 12 yrs must be accompanied by an adult in the pool at all times"

the cost is reasonable if you are going to make full use of both the pool and gym, if you use a public facility you pay for an hour to swim even less! and you can use both the gym and the pool here, it is not open to the public which means everyone has paid their membership and most people will adhere to the terms and conditions.

children over 12 are therefore allowed in the pool but how many parents allow their children at that age out on their own, my son is 14 and would not allow him down on his own or even with his friends without adult supervision.

the joining fee / registration Fee has been waived and is currently been waived until the end of September. However the Leisure Club are no longer taking family memberships at the moment.

with regard to comment by bennyc - yes most places now have facilities however i have seen my son go to these places where he has been bullied, a lot of kids are very competitive and if a child isnt they get picked on, my son is into football but not very competitive he enjoys playing it but has come to me on several occasions because a row has started. my son used to play basketball and was quite good but he was constantly been pushed to paly at game level and he was just not interested. i think sport should be about getting out and enjoying it not always about winning, i found even as an adult who took up basketball to get out of the house and get fit, it was fun but some of the women took it very seriously and i dropped out because it got to the stage i was afraid to have a bit of a laugh with some of the women.

by the way i am a member of the leisure centre i do not work there, i love using it as i think it is lovely, it has parking and the staff are very friendly and helpful, yes membership was costly to me as a single parent but if i count up the amount of times i have already used it and was to pay each time i would nearly have over half of it paid.

Advertisement