Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCU karate Club

• 27-08-2008 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Any new first years coming to DCU should seriously consider joining DCU karate club. It's a great way to meet new people and you'll pick up some serious self defence skills as well!

I joined a couple of years ago and have had a blast. It's a great way to keep fit - I was bored silly in the gym and karate makes you use your mind with your body.

They have some serious instructors, most of them are 3rd Dan's and the two main guys are 4th Dan's and they are all DCU students or ex-students.

If anyone is interested in going along this year then beginners classes will be starting in week 1 on wednesday in the minor hall from 3 to 4.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 jenfiction

Sounds interesting. Might give that a go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Diarmaid07

Does DCU have a muay thai club? save me popping down to bridgestone muay thai...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 budo73

Hi,

I don't think there is a Muay thai club, there used to be a kickboxing/kung fu club but I don't know if it is still running - you could check during freshers week when all the clubs will have a stand trying to recruit new members!

awesome, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tiroskan

speaking of, is there a list of clubs online anywhere? I've not seen one and I'm not sure where my prospectus is to look through it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

http://life.dcu.ie had a list of all of them iirc but that is down at the moment. I don't think anywhere else had an up to date list of all of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭StiLL-TrAiNinG

List of clubs:
    http://www.dcu.ie/students/clubs.php3?sc_type=club
    List of societies:
    http://www.dcu.ie/students/clubs.php3?sc_type=society

I think the list is a little old, and some of the links to the club/socs website need to be edited so they actually work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ditsonic

hey budo, I have been training in shotokan previously up to 5th kyu, and im starting in dcu this september. I would like to keep it up.:)

just a few questions.
    what are you normal training times for the week?
    and is there any charge, gradings and the like?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tiroskan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Diarmaid07 wrote: »
    Does DCU have a muay thai club? save me popping down to bridgestone muay thai...

there's going to be a kickboxing club doing things like pads etc. once a week. it's not thai but it will certainly be a benefit.

• Advertisement

Cool, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 budo73

ditsonic wrote: »
    hey budo, I have been training in shotokan previously up to 5th kyu, and im starting in dcu this september. I would like to keep it up.:)

just a few questions.
    what are you normal training times for the week?
    and is there any charge, gradings and the like?

Hi, the full training schedule is:
    Monday 7.00pm - 8.00pm Racquetball court (all coloured belts)
    Wednesday 3.00pm - 4.00pm Minor Hall (beginners only)
    Wednesday 7.00pm - 8.00pm Racquetball court (all coloured belts)
    Thursday 7.00pm - 8.00pm Racquetball court (brown and black belts
    only)
    Saturday 11.00am - 12.00am Racquetball Court (open to all!)

There is a €1 charge per class as far as I remember
    The next grading will be at the end of the semester in DCU (normally about a 2 weeks before christmas)

Let me know if you want to know anything else!

Advertisement