Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish DiscWorld Convention (IDWC)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Just come across this,well done all involved,I'm very much looking forward to coming along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Gizmodeon

will be there with bells on :)
    This is a brilliant idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 idwc2009

www.idwcon.org

Friday 6th November - Monday 9th November 2009
    The Falls Hotel, Ennistymon, Co. Clare, Ireland

Following a serious bout of post-Convention enthusiasm last August, we are pleased to announce that the first ever DiscWorld COnvention in Ireland will be held in November 2009, in a very nice hotel in County Clare.

We have invited Bernard Pearson, Colin Smythe, Ian Stewart & Jack Cohen, Diane Duane and Peter Morwood to be Guests, with Sir Terry Pratchett OBE and Stephen Briggs as Guests of Honour. Bernard Pearson and Jack Cohen have confirmed that they will be attending, as has Sir Terry (health permitting).

The website is now online, where you can find out about the hotel, some of the events, and there are also forums available for discussing things. (Don't worry about the colour, it' being seen to.)

Membership will be open from February, in various varieties.

We intend to make this the biggest, best and most fun DiscWorld event in Ireland, so come along and join us for the best weekend you'll have in November!

The BBC is screening a documentary called Terry Pratchett: Living with
    Alzheimer's on Wednesday 4th February, at 9pm on BBC2 (with part 2 the same
    time next week). Some footage for this was filmed at last year's DW
    Convention in Birmingham.

He's also given a brief "What I'm watching" interview in the Radio Times:

Like most authors, I spend most days sitting in front of my computer, which
    means that I end up listening to radio rather than watching TV. Classic FM
    has been my default station for many years - classical music tends not to
    interfere with my hallucinatory thought processes! But, just recently, I've
    discovered Birdsong on DAB [a digital station that plays nothing but
    birdsong]. There's something about the sound of the outdoors that adds
    texture to a room. It cools the room down, makes you feel relaxed.

I'm not what you would call TV's biggest fan - I have no time at all for
    soaps and couldn't give a stuff who won Strictly Come Dancing - but I do
    enjoy randomly grazing through channels. If I finish work at a reasonable
    time, I start flicking and, more often than not, end up on Dave.

A lot of people expect me to be a great fan of science fiction, but I spend
    all of my working life caught up in alternate realities, so I prefer my TV
    to be a bit more ... ordinary. Top Gear always makes me smile. Not because
    I have a great love of cars, but because Jeremy Clarkson seems to be very
    good at annoying the people who deserve to be annoyed. He enjoys rattling
    cages, which I heartily approve of.

Then there's QI, of course. I'm sure I've seen most episodes about 50
    times! Personally, I prefer the old-fashioned quiz shows. Something very
    pure and simple, like Mastermind or University Challenge. The ones that
    attract the real eggheads.

(Reproduced from Radio Times 31 January - 6 February 2009)

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Does anyone have an ETA on the Membership(prev. post says some time in Feb, but just checking) booking on idwcon.org?

Also, will you be accepting Laser as a method of payment... it'll be another month yet before I get some real plastic ;)

• Advertisement

The membership is now open and ready for you to dedicate your allegiance to the First Ever Irish Discworld Convention. Sign up quick quick because we have a membership limitations

From the membership page you can apply and volunteer for tech, ops, watch or gophering (if you wish) and you can sign up for the posh dinner (approx. 35 euros).

But be weary, here be dangerous monsters.

You may know that you membership number will allow you to avail of the hotel rooms. The hotel room prices are 65euros per person sharing per night with under 14 (half price) and children (under 6 go free). We are hoping to have a better prices but that'll be decided later.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

Do you need to join up just to attend the convention?

Ya, you do. Membership is relatively cheap.
    €35 for full adult membership.
    €28 for students and U18
    €15 for child (U12)

These prices are for full weekend memberships. We're also hoping to have day memberships. But won't have a price on those for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

So membership is/includes admission for the weekend? Just to clarify :)

The membership cost is the admission price for the weekend. Full membership is for the whole weekend from Friday to Monday. Day Memberships will be available on the door, and only valid for one day.

We do not accept money on behalf of the hotel. Room charges and food are not included.

Hope that helps.

• Advertisement

Earlier in the week, numerous IDWCon committee members went and talked to the hotel people about the room prices. We have successfully renegotiated them to be a bit more attractive to con-goers.

€50 per person per night bed and breakfast (was €65 pppn b&b).

There is a €20 single person supplement.

There is no option for dinner, bed and breakfast.

If you have already booked your room, do not worry. Your bill will automatically be changed to the new rate.

To reduce room costs many people will be wanting to share a room during the Con.

Originally the Con staff were going to organise the room shares on a same-sex basis. However this raised some issues on LJ which we had not anticipated. Therefore we have decided that we are not going to be regulating room shares. However if you do want to ask the Con staff for help in arranging your room we will help where we can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 maggie797

this is brilliant, when i lived in the uk I always wanted to attend one of these conventions! I am a BIG fan of terry pratchett and have been for nearly 20 years!! great someone thought of setting this up.. I will defintely come along ...with my broom!! Will defintitely bookmark the website!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

Have to go to this. Well done to the organizers!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

I live in Lahinch and work in Ennistymon - if there's anything you need a hand with on the ground here in the run-up to the convention.....send me a PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Would defo go to this, and my gf who is as big a fan as me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Sounds good.

I even know how to get to Falls Hotel. The electric Turbine/watermill on the river feeding the Hotel (or used to) is like something from Discworld. Ennistymon is very olde Worlde or used to be.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I would like to attend this. I reckon I could get half the Nocturnal forum to go, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Elevelyn

Just saw this thread and should definitely be going to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

I am so going to this!!

What are the rates for non-members?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

Fantastic! Just what the doctor ordered... Anyone up for sharing a room? not sure I can afford the whole weekend otherwise...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

I cannot wait for this, just realised its only 3 weekends away! :D Going to have fun trying to spot boards people at it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

I want to know the rates for non members etc. too.

Is there going to be a day rate? I only want to go Saturday really and €40 seems a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Ba_barbaraAnne

Hi

I am a total newbie where conventions are concerned but wouldnt' miss this for the world! Does one arrive in character?

Thanks

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

I'm here at this now. So far very impressed. Small but friendly crowd, well organised and enthusiasm everywhere. PTerry arrives tomorrow. *excited*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

A friend of mine got to have coffee with him earlier. He'll be feeding off my envy for months to come. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

The con was amazing. Gutted to have to work today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Is it true Nationwide were filming at it on Saturday? I could only make it for the Sunday but I got to see him so I'm happy out. :) Am really sorry I couldn't get time off work for it, seemed very well run and the crowd were great - everyone was so friendly. I tip my hat to those who dressed up for it too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Hey guys, just looked at the youtube video from nationwide about this. Looks like it was a massive success! I am sure it took a lot of hard work to run such an great event, and it was a brave choice to run it in Clare, but I guess you ended up with a really good mix of people who were all willing to make the effort to get there. Massive coup on getting TP there, and the costumes looked class!

Congrats!

• Advertisement
Advertisement