Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden shredder?

Options
  • 27-08-2008 8:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for a way of getting rid of tree branches,hedge clippings and assorted prunings from my increasingly verdant garden.There's nowhere near enough room in my brown bin so i'm looking for something that'll shred or pulp the waste so i can use it as mulch.Does anybody have any suggestions,bearing in mind i dont have large branches or a tremendous amount of stuff to get rid of.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Glumpy

Hi Degsy,
    I was doing some research on these a few weeks back and it seems that they best one is the Bosch AXT Rapid 2200 Shredder. It got the Best Buy shredder award from Which magazine.
    RRP around €200.

I haven't bought yet but think I'll go for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

There is one on sale in Lidl at the moment.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

why dont you bring it to the recycle place on collins avenue ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

irishbird wrote: »
    why dont you bring it to the recycle place on collins avenue ?
    A bit far away for most of us. :D

What kind of space does one of these shedders take up, as I've thought of getting one but don't know if I'd have the storage space when it's not in use.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

A bit far away for most of us. :D

Ah but it is only around the corner from Degsy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Glumpy wrote: »
    Hi Degsy,
    I was doing some research on these a few weeks back and it seems that they best one is the Bosch AXT Rapid 2200 Shredder. It got the Best Buy shredder award from Which magazine.
    RRP around €200.

I haven't bought yet but think I'll go for this one.

It's available on Amazon at £119 (€149) if you know someone in the UK !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

CJhaughey wrote: »
    There is one on sale in Lidl at the moment.

My dad used one of these during the week and wasn't impressed.

I got a Bosch last year and its the dogs danglies, very impressive. I have used it for six hours straight with a small break and it was shredding some serious stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Bluefoam wrote: »
    My dad used one of these during the week and wasn't impressed.

I got a Bosch last year and its the dogs danglies, very impressive. I have used it for six hours straight with a small break and it was shredding some serious stuff.

What would you class as serious stuff? I badly need to get a shredder and I too was looking at the Bosch but I'm hesitant to fork out on a shredder as anyone I know who has one (not the Bosch one mind) thinks they're next to useless because they constantly jam.

I have a line of leylandias (they're the neighbours but he never trims them :mad:) along one side of my garden and their branches take up a lot of room when they're cut and when they turn brown, they look awful. I'd love to get a good shredder that would chop them to bits.

I also have a few trees with branches up to an inch thick. Would the Bosch handle them as well.

So I'd appreciate some feedback on whether the Bosch would be a good buy.

Thanks

I've shredded stuff more than an inch and a half thick - loads of it.

I took a row of 30 year old evergreens out of the front garden and shredded everything but the trunks + a lot more other stuff. B&Q have the same shredder for €150 at the moment.

My gardener friend was amazed at how good it is & he had only every used industrial ones.

Bluefoam

Do you know what model yours is, how powerful (wattage of motor) etc. If the Bosch is as good as you say, then I think I'll get one as the garden waste tip in my garden is getting out of hand with old branches lying around the place.

David

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Bluefoam

Do you know what model yours is, how powerful (wattage of motor) etc. If the Bosch is as good as you say, then I think I'll get one as the garden waste tip in my garden is getting out of hand with old branches lying around the place.

David
    I note you are thinking of shredding Leylandii. I have one of those Bosch shredders and while it is pretty effective on woody bits it is not so good on the softer bits and tends to get clogged. I imagine that could be problematic if shredding something like Leylandii.

Bluefoam

David

Mines a AXT 2000. With regard to shredding green/fresh stuff, you should put some strong branches in occasionally too - I've been known to give it a bit of broom handle occasionally...

I've bitten the bullet now, bought a Bosch AXT 2200 and it's really great. It does everything I need, cutting branches up to about 1.5" with no problem.
    Nothing bad to say about it and I bought it online, delivered to my door for €199.

I've bitten the bullet now, bought a Bosch AXT 2200 and it's really great. It does everything I need, cutting branches up to about 1.5" with no problem.
    Nothing bad to say about it and I bought it online, delivered to my door for €199.

Where did you buy it online as I'm a great fan of online purchasing for the massive savings that can be made.

Where did you buy it online as I'm a great fan of online purchasing for the massive savings that can be made.

Argos have them - I think the price is €159. Anyway it's a good bit better than the online price if it's €199!

Funny, I can't find any sign of them in Argos for €159, not online anyway - I got it here Bosch AXT 2200.

Funny, I can't find any sign of them in Argos for €159, not online anyway - I got it here Bosch AXT 2200.

They've taken them off the Irish site. They're on the UK site - but there seemed to be several different types. Cheapest is £129.
    http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?q=BOSCH&storeId=10001&langId=-1&pp=20&c_1=1|category_root|Garden%20and%20DIY|10198728

• Registered Users Posts: 10 NancyG

Hello,
    I was just wondering if you're still happy with the shredder 'all these years later'? Of perhaps if someone else has an alternative suggestion. Thanks in advance.

To tell you the truth I haven't used it for a few years. As the other posters say it does a good job, but I don't have much material for it these days. If you're in Dublin, you're welcome to try it out and take away for a minor consideration

• Registered Users Posts: 10 NancyG

Thank you very much, that's very kind of you but I live in Munster so that's not a runner. Yes, the reviews have all been very good so that's the one I'll go for. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

I've been using my Boshe quite a bit over the last few months and despite it been a few years old its still working away without issue.
    For the cost, e150ish, I'd happily recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Brillig

Reyman back in 2015 said that he had not used his Garden Shredder (Bosch). Is this still available for inspection / purchase. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,600 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have one of these boys

qs2500.1.jpg

Does a very good job of reducing the amount of waste around the garden.
    It can cut through branches 4cm wide I think.
    However, it needs something to cut through, if you know what I mean. Things like leaves and fir trees aren't really chopped by it, they tend to just pass through and are slightly squashed. Its made to chop branches, not leaves.

I bought mine for £20 secondhand from Gumtree. Best bargain ever.

Advertisement