Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[PR] Dublin Bus - New Route 47

Options
  • 27-08-2008 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,372 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.dublinbus.ie/news_centre/latest_news.asp?action=view&news_id=808
    New Route 47 Monday 8th September 2008

New Route 47

Dublin Bus is pleased to announce the launch of a new Route 47 from Belarmine to Donnybrook from Monday 8th September 2008.

Route 47 will operate via Enniskerry Road, Kilgobbin Road, Murphystown Road and Sandyford, providing a link with the Luas and the Stillorgan QBC.

Further details including the new timetable will be available in the press and on this website next week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,372 ✭✭✭✭Victor

New Route 47

Dublin Bus is pleased to announce the launch of a new Route 47 from Belarmine to Donnybrook from Monday 8th September 2008.

Route 47 will operate via Enniskerry Road, Kilgobbin Road, Murphystown Road and Sandyford, providing a link with the Luas and the Stillorgan QBC.

Further details including the new timetable will be available in the press and on this website next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Victor wrote: »

Many years ago, there was a 47A route (Poolbeg St. to Churchtown via Rathgar if I'm not mistaken) but never a 47 which always puzzled me.

Interesting to see DB start to fill in the "gaps" in route numbers !

I will have to defer to the experts, but I think the old 47 was on the northside - some routes were split (badly) like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Heart

The old 47 group before they were withdrawn were:

47 Hawkins St - Tibradden
    47A Hawkins St - Rockbrook
    47B Hawkins St - Grange Road

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I will have to defer to the experts, but I think the old 47 was on the northside - some routes were split (badly) like this.

Like the 17 (southside) and the 17A (northside)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,630 ✭✭✭Trampas

Heart wrote: »
    The old 47 group before they were withdrawn were:

47 Hawkins St - Tibradden
    47A Hawkins St - Rockbrook
    47B Hawkins St - Grange Road

thats correct

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

As a couple of posters have observed there certainly was a 47 and indeed a 47B. They operated from the 1920s until 1999.

The original routes were:

47: Hawkins Street - Rockbrook, Tibradden or Whitechurch
    47A: Townsend Street - Landscape Road
    47B: Hawkins Street - Grange Road

The original 47A route was cancelled in the 1980s and subsequently the Rockbrook service was renumbered 47A in the early 1990s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

I've been told that this new 47 will be one-way only! :confused:

bazzer wrote: »
    I've been told that this new 47 will be one-way only! :confused:

Eh? Not that I'm aware of...it's supposed to run all day at a reasonably high frequency in both directions, seven days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

Why is it still impossible for DB to provide a route map for new routes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

KC61 wrote: »
    Eh? Not that I'm aware of...it's supposed to run all day at a reasonably high frequency in both directions, seven days a week.

Strange, that's what a Donnybrook bus driver told me. Maybe he was confusing it with something else. I don't know.
    I thought that it might be true, seeing the Dublin Bus press release says the service will run "from Belarmine to Donnybrook", but doesn't mention returning!!
    Maybe thay sould have said between Belarmine and Donnybrook! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

Both directions, from 630-2330 with a running time of 45mins.

I don't know the exact routing but the route goes Belarmine - Sandyford Industrial Estate - Donnybrook (no service to city centre), generally every 15 minutes peak and 30 minute off peak.
    STAGE
    45 55 Belarmine
    44 56 Enniskerry Rd.
    43 57 Stepaside (Smith's)
    42 58 Kilgobbin Rd.
    41 59 Murphystown Rd.
    40 60 Sandyford Industrial Estate
    39 61 Stillorgan Heath
    38 62 Stillorgan Rd. (Woodlands Ave.)
    37 63 Stillorgan Rd. (Mount Merrion Ave.)
    36 64 Stillorgan Rd. (Booterstown Ave.)
    35 65 Stillorgan Rd. (Seafield Rd.)
    34 66 Stillorgan Rd. (Woodbine Rd.)
    33 67 Stillorgan Rd. (Nutley Lane)
    32 68 Stillorgan Rd. (Donnybrook Church)

Route 47 operates from Belarmine via Stepaside, Murphystown Road, Sandyford Industrial Estate, Stillorgan to Donnybrook, providing a link with the Luas and the Stillorgan QBC.

The route will serve residents in Belarmine, Aikens Village, Stepaside, Wingfield, Ballyogan Road, Sandyford Hall, Fernleigh, The Gallops, Leopardstown Heights and Sandyford Industrial Estate.

Click here to view new route 47

http://www.dublinbus.ie/news_centre/latest_news.asp?action=view&news_id=810
    Routes 46b and 118 - Weekend Changes

Dublin Bus wishes to advise customers that from Monday 8th September 2008, Route 46b and Route 118 departures from Belarmine will no longer operate.

This is due to the recent introduction of Route 47 which operates a full weekday and weekend service. Route 47 operates from Belarmine via Stepaside, Murphystown Road, Sandyford Industrial Estate, Stillorgan to Donnybrook, providing a link with the Luas and the Stillorgan QBC.

Route 46b departures from Sandyford Industrial Estate and Route 118 departures from Kilternan will be unaffected.

Dublin Bus apologises for any inconvenience caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Currently a 46B runs regularly from Belarmine, which is near Stepaside, to the city centre. Some 46Bs start in Sandyford Industrial Estate and some in Belarmine. On Monday they are introducing a new route, the 47, which will start from Belarmine. They are going back to starting all 46Bs from Sandyford, as it used to. I get the 46B regularly, but after Sandyford, so the change won't affect me. The odd thing is though, that the 47 will only be going to Donnybrook. Why remove a service that brought people all the way into the city and replace with one that will drop them short? Those going into the city centre will now have to get two buses. The 4Bs that come from Belarmine in the morning and return to it in the evening are quite busy, and now some of those passengers will be discommoded. Another crazy Dublin Bus decision. :confused:

You might discover that some of the 47 buses in the morning turn into 46As when they get to Stillorgan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭MiniD

Flukey, considering the people of Bellarmine now get a 15 minute peak frequency and a new Saturday & Sunday service, I think they are doing quite well. This new service will bring passengers to the Stillorgan QBC, where they can then change to another service. I think there is a bus every 2 minutes in the mornings at Donnybrook. Passengers change buses every morning all across the city and manage just fine. The high frequency QBC should make things as smooth as possible.

Having the 47 terminate at Donnybrook frees up this bus to make more journeys between Bellarmine and Donnybrook, rather than sit in traffic as it follows a trail of other buses across to Parnell Square.

It will be interesting to see how this new service works. With the rising fuel costs about to hit Dublin Bus, you may find more similar tidying up of routes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

You might discover that some of the 47 buses in the morning turn into 46As when they get to Stillorgan.

No the last thing they want is CC passengers, upon DBK church they will turn and head back out again.
    Many passengers will stay aboard until they see a gaggle of buses around Fosters or UCD, then board when seats available.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

MiniD wrote: »
    This new service will bring passengers to the Stillorgan QBC, where they can then change to another service.

That's the problem. It should bring them all the way into town, as the 46B does. They will have to get 2 buses, where once they only had to get one. Having a frequent service isn't much compensation for that.
    Dublin Bus apologises for any inconvenience caused.

That isn't much compensation either.

Flukey wrote: »
    That's the problem. It should bring them all the way into town, as the 46B does. They will have to get 2 buses, where once they only had to get one. Having a frequent service isn't much compensation for that.

I disagree. If I lived in Bellarmine and lost 4 peak time 46B services to a brand new route which had three times the frequency, but involved changing to a high frequency route, I'd be pretty happy. There is also now a frequent all day service and buses at weekends which they didn't have before.

A bus could take 30 minutes to travel from Donnybrook to O'Connell Street. In that time, a 47 could be back out to Bellarmine to start another journey. It just doesn't make sense throwing another bus into the constant stream of 46A, 145, 10 etc. The service from Donnybrook is one of the best in the city. Any passenger transferring from a 47 to one of these buses should do so in a matter of minutes.

No chance. The 47 has its own driver duties and buses, and buses will only operate Donnybrook-Belarmine and v.v.

• Advertisement

MiniD wrote: »
    I disagree. If I lived in Bellarmine and lost 4 peak time 46B services to a brand new route which had three times the frequency, but involved changing to a high frequency route, I'd be pretty happy. There is also now a frequent all day service and buses at weekends which they didn't have before.

A bus could take 30 minutes to travel from Donnybrook to O'Connell Street. In that time, a 47 could be back out to Bellarmine to start another journey. It just doesn't make sense throwing another bus into the constant stream of 46A, 145, 10 etc. The service from Donnybrook is one of the best in the city. Any passenger transferring from a 47 to one of these buses should do so in a matter of minutes.

Exactly - people are not being left in places where there will be no bus. You are unlikely to have to wait more than 2 or 3 minutes (in peak times) for another bus, and Travel 90 tickets can be used. This will give Belarmine a decent service, using fewer buses than would be needed if the same frequency service operating to/from the city centre were required.

I would expect that feeder services such as this will in the longer run become more common.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sean9015

Can anyone confirm the route this takes through Sandyford Industrial Estate? It does not appear to run via Blackthorn Drive, which seems strange.

I had a thought about the city end terminus. I can see the reason for terminating at Donnybrook, but there is a missed opportunity. The 90/92 are uncoordinated due to the different frequencies, meaning that waiting at O'Connell Bridge for a Heuston bound bus can be frustrating, to say the least. An option would have been to run the 47 through to Heuston, replacing the 92, with possibly short 91s filling the gap from O'Connell Bridge, giving a regular 8 buses/hour headway along the section. This would also give all-day coverage for areas on the south side direct to Heuston, a link which is somewhat inconvenient present.

While with Travel 90 tiockets there is no cost penalty to changing bus at Donnybrook, and inbound at least there is little time penalty, there are downsides. For one, Dublin Bus has your money up front, for a potential 6 months in the case of an irregular user (or forever if the ticket is not used), and it is necessary to make a specific visit to purchase. Also, coming out of town, it will be all too easy to misjudge congestion, and end up with ½ hour wait at Donnybrook - not enticing in the rain!

Sean9015 wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm the route this takes through Sandyford Industrial Estate? It does not appear to run via Blackthorn Drive, which seems strange.

I had a thought about the city end terminus. I can see the reason for terminating at Donnybrook, but there is a missed opportunity. The 90/92 are uncoordinated due to the different frequencies, meaning that waiting at O'Connell Bridge for a Heuston bound bus can be frustrating, to say the least. An option would have been to run the 47 through to Heuston, replacing the 92, with possibly short 91s filling the gap from O'Connell Bridge, giving a regular 8 buses/hour headway along the section. This would also give all-day coverage for areas on the south side direct to Heuston, a link which is somewhat inconvenient present.

While with Travel 90 tiockets there is no cost penalty to changing bus at Donnybrook, and inbound at least there is little time penalty, there are downsides. For one, Dublin Bus has your money up front, for a potential 6 months in the case of an irregular user (or forever if the ticket is not used), and it is necessary to make a specific visit to purchase. Also, coming out of town, it will be all too easy to misjudge congestion, and end up with ½ hour wait at Donnybrook - not enticing in the rain!

That's a fair point regarding the outbound leg.

As far as I know the routing in Sandyford Industrial Estate is:

INBOUND:
    Leopardstown Road - Left onto Burton Hall Road - Right onto Blackthorn Road - Left onto Blackthorn Avenue - Right onto Link Road to Kilmacud Road Upper

OUTBOUND:
    Link Road from Kilmacud Road Upper - Left onto Blackthorn Avenue - Left onto Burton Hall Road - Right onto Leopardstown Avenue

This brings it past Stillorgan LUAS stop in both directions and by Sandyford LUAS outbound.

With the Travel 90 smartcard ticket, the price actually reduces from EUR 2 to EUR 1.70 per single journey from Belarmine to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

KC61 wrote: »
    Exactly - people are not being left in places where there will be no bus. You are unlikely to have to wait more than 2 or 3 minutes (in peak times) for another bus, and Travel 90 tickets can be used. This will give Belarmine a decent service, using fewer buses than would be needed if the same frequency service operating to/from the city centre were required.

I would expect that feeder services such as this will in the longer run become more common.

Yes, but how long a wait in Donnybrook on the way home?

Tarabuses wrote: »
    Yes, but how long a wait in Donnybrook on the way home?

Anything from 15 to 30 minutes depending on the time of day. Remember, even if the 47 ran to the city centre, passengers would still have to wait for this bus.

If the 47 was running to the city centre there would be a much bigger gap between departures, as each bus would have to travel a further distance. There are no extra buses available to put on this route to keep the same frequency running to the city centre. There is very little waiting time for a bus to Donnybrook from the city centre (10/46A/46B/145).

Advantages of terminating at Donnybrook include relative lack of congestion along the main section of the route, it maximises use of other buses after passengers get off at UCD, easy driver / vehicle changeover and no parking in the city centre.
    Sean9015 wrote: »
    Thats a good idea. I would love for some of the Stillorgan QBC buses to operate to Heuston. I think the risk of merging the 47 and 92 would be that Belarmine would become dependent on congestion on the quays. the 47 could be extended to Leeson Street Bridge, but then duty changes would be mid-route.
    For one, Dublin Bus has your money up front,
    Hadly that much of a problem, is it?
    for a potential 6 months in the case of an irregular user
    If you are using it that rarely, then it won't be that much of a problem, will it? Also, you can give tickets to friends / family.
    Also, coming out of town, it will be all too easy to misjudge congestion, and end up with ½ hour wait at Donnybrook - not enticing in the rain!
    You can choose your stop and get one with a shelter.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sean9015

Advantages of terminating at Donnybrook include relative lack of congestion along the main section of the route, it maximises use of other buses after passengers get off at UCD, easy driver / vehicle changeover and no parking in the city centre.

Thats a good idea. I would love for some of the Stillorgan QBC buses to operate to Heuston. I think the risk of merging the 47 and 92 would be that Belarmine would become dependent on congestion on the quays. the 47 could be extended to Leeson Street Bridge, but then duty changes would be mid-route.

Hadly that much of a problem, is it?

If you are using it that rarely, then it won't be that much of a problem, will it? Also, you can give tickets to friends / family.

You can choose your stop and get one with a shelter.

Mid-route changeovers already happen on 46a etc - not a problem as long as it's managed (ie drivers monitored to ensure their presence at the stop at the correct time - I know from experieince that this takes some doing however!). Congestion on the quays is a potential problem westbound, not so much eastbound.

The money aspects - well, if BAC have your money, they're making the interest :) Irregular users are the potential growth market (I'm thinking car users whose cars are in for service, for example, who won't be savvy enough to buy a Travel 90 in advance). Effectively penalising such users is not good practice - if my assumption that you cannot buy Travel 90 from the driver is correct. BAC may pass on unclaimed change to charity, but I bet this doesn't include unused expired ticket revenue!

As regards shelters, I have yet to find one in this country or elsewhere which actually keeps you dry and warm!

Advertisement