Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dit advantages disavdantges

Options
  • 27-08-2008 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

what are

a)the advantages of going to college/studying at DIT

b)the disadvantages of going to colege/studying at DIT

look forward to some feedback

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 therhythmbyrne

Advantages

• Huge emphasis placed on practical work. You learn loads from doing the practical exercises and you also get marks for it
    • Sound lecturers
    • In colleges like UCD, some courses are bunched together for two years all engineering students study the same thing. Doesnt matter what type of engineer you want to be. DIT has seperate courses with more managable class sizes.

Disadvantages

.....I can't really think of one...I'm going back to do a masters in DIT so I like it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭duncanb

Anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Well surely everybody has a different experience of DIT than you or I would.
    Different Bulidings
    Different Locations
    Different Classes

Its not like its a movie, tv show or game where everybody can talk about the same thing.
    It depends on the situation.

Saying that though, from my experience and IMO there are plenty of advantages and plenty of disadvantages of going to DIT.

Put down what course you are going into, what building and what location and Im sure you will get more responses. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i agree

each college is almost independant that way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

damn... I can only think of the disadvantages -

Not having enough cash for buying hugely overpriced drinks at DIT balls,

Finding accommodation is extremely frustrating as most of it is already booked,

and also... the stench of take-aways around Bolton Street.

Otherwise, enjoy your college experience, it's very hard to get a job where you'll meet such a diverse group of people and take part in so many activities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭Buffman

Advantages:

-The city is our campus.

Disadvantages:

-The city is our campus.

Ah, the memories of going from Bolton St to Kevin St for labs, and Kevin St lecturers coming over to Bolton St for classes.:D

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

How about around auniger street

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Turnip2000

duncanb wrote: »
    How about around auniger street

Ya mean ANGELS Street.......phwoar!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I am based out of 3 buildings and I must say there are many differences.

Bolton Street is my favourate but its a bit of a maze. It has the nicest canteen out of Bolton st, Aungier St and Mountjoy. The Lecturers there are probably the nicest out of any college I know and very approachable. The disadvantage is the lack of organisation which I must admit is getting better.

Aungier street is the nicest building. Most of the happening around DIT happen there and they have probably the best library barring the need for a student card for entry. The disadvantage here are the lecturers can be a bit more strict and not as approachable as in Bolton Street but still helpful when needed. If you do have a valid reason for not handing up an assignment or missing something they will be forgiving once you provide the necesary documentation i.e. a doctors note or something. Not saying this is true for all lecturers as I have had great experiences with them in the past. Just from stories I have heard from other courses.

Mountjoy has a nice Student union and quite nice buildings. It is harder to get to though. The rules in the library are terrible like no using email or anything. If you want to print in a computer room you have to bring your own paper too. The lecturers are quite nice here.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Nemothefish

Kevin St has to be the best campus... prob the oldest too...

you are close to aungier st for all the events and stuff... the place is filled with techies so any PC related problems can be solved generlay easy. there are printers on the 4th floor wher printing is free... there are evan printers with paper left in them..

Kevin st is one of the few sites where the exams are held in house...

Bad points... for som reson there is always works going on around exam time that involes a DRILL....

Bad points about Aungier... Cost of JAVA... far to high... the place is like a mase... with differnt floors being only acces able from certain stairs...

I dont like bolton st... it Smells... MountJoy is miles from any where... Rathmines.. is Jsut DEAD... Cahal brougha st asked me for my ID when i walked in one day...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Kevin Street:

Advantages:

None really.

Disadvantages:

No free car parking
    Crap computers on the 4th floor
    The computers themselves usually lack mice / LAN cable
    Overpriced shop
    Fairly rubbish lecturers
    The old building is a fire hazard apparently
    Televisions in the library (whoever thought of that idea should be hung)
    Broken lab equipment
    The sheer lack of a campus (we have a concrete patio FFS)

I could go on, but I think you get the point.

All of the above for a 'reasonable' fee of €825 per year. Quality. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnG18

Anyone have any Advantages and Disadvantages for Cathal Brugha Street

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Cathal Brugha St.

Adv.
    • The food is cheap
    • The wimmins are generally pretty nice to look at
    • Decent enough student play-area downstairs
    • Free Condoms

Disadv.
    • The free condoms break
    • The food can taste cheap.
    • Some of the lecturers appear to be complete dicks
    • They seem to be extremely strict on assignment deadlines, not like good old Bolton St., just lob it in whenever its finished!
    • It's very much a girls college in the DIT scheme of things, a lot of the lads seemed compelled to wear fake tan and clean clothes from what we could see on visits from Bolton St.
    • The library seems a bit crap

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Cathal Brugha St.

Adv.
    • The food is cheap
    • The wimmins are generally pretty nice to look at
    • Decent enough student play-area downstairs
    • Free Condoms

Disadv.
    • The free condoms break
    • The food can taste cheap.
    • Some of the lecturers appear to be complete dicks
    • They seem to be extremely strict on assignment deadlines, not like good old Bolton St., just lob it in whenever its finished!
    • It's very much a girls college in the DIT scheme of things, a lot of the lads seemed compelled to wear fake tan and clean clothes from what we could see on visits from Bolton St.
    • The library seems a bit crap

Ah I dont care about the food The Living Room across the road has nice chips :P But thanks

Kinda disappointed about the Library was hoping it would be good :(:(

Could one "hypothetically" go to another DIT Library if Cathal Brugha St. is that bad?

Well I'm studying in Bolton St. and we use the Cathal Brugha and Aungier St. library all the time so yeah it's grand.

I also refer you to this thread for advantages of going to college in general!

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055367882

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Nemothefish

Ah the libarys in DIT... the life long battle...

in my opinion the libarys are only good for getting books out... not for studying... or internet usage...

take kevin st... we have a tiny PC area... that you feel intiminaded to use because someone will be Queuing behind your screen. Oh and those lovely TV'S WTF in a letter "Y"

Do what myself and others do... go the the libary take out the books you want... and go find a porter and ask for the keys... that is out of term time the rooms are locked in Aungier And Kevin St. i don't know about other libs for there level of shhhhh... but when i was last in CBST the libary was tiny...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Yeah you can use any of the libraries fine. I like Aungier street for studying in and if you really want quite you can get one of the private study rooms. Bolton Street isnt great for study and obviously the TVs in Kevin street dont help. Its Aungier Street for me for Study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

I can only speak for the Chemistry Faculty.

Advantages:

Small class sizes. Most classes that I see are 25 at the most (if anyone knows different, speak up!). Mine is 6. I can ask any question I want as many times as I want. Same goes for everyone else in my class.

Lecturers: Most of mine have a fair bit of industry experience. Not too important, but I prefer it. They tend to do things themselves. I only recall a few single events where their jobs like labs or were delegated to post-grads or post-docs.

Industry links: Foget about the stuff you hear about other collegs whack-off about... "oooh, come do science with us, you get a years placement". As far as I can see, DIT has really done well with this.

Disadvantages:

Social life: I don't really care too much for it, but people do complain about it. It doesn't matter what college you go to (bar TCD of course), cause its the same most places in dublin. Uni's and colleges try hard to knock parties and anything drink related out. It's just their way. Clubs are fairly busy but not visable, apparently.

Ah the libarys in DIT... the life long battle...

in my opinion the libarys are only good for getting books out... not for studying... or internet usage...

take kevin st... we have a tiny PC area... that you feel intiminaded to use because someone will be Queuing behind your screen. Oh and those lovely TV'S WTF in a letter "Y"

Do what myself and others do... go the the libary take out the books you want... and go find a porter and ask for the keys... that is out of term time the rooms are locked in Aungier And Kevin St. i don't know about other libs for there level of shhhhh... but when i was last in CBST the libary was tiny...

is there wireless if you have a laptop in auinger st???????

duncanb wrote: »
    is there wireless if you have a laptop in auinger st???????

Is there Wireless in Cathal Brugha St. ???

Id rather use my laptop then their PCs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

http://www.dit.ie/services/ict/wirelessnetworking/frequentlyaskedquestions/

There should be a wifi map in there of each building (there was a few months ago) but it seems to be gone. I'm fairly sure all the main buildings have wifi.

I know UCD has for sure but does DIT have a service where you can buy laptops for discounted rates?

JohnG18 wrote: »
    I know UCD has for sure but does DIT have a service where you can buy laptops for discounted rates?

Much better deals to be had here John.

Get to know the Bargain Alerts forum, it is your friend. I say that to you while sitting on a €160 chair that I got for €30 and typing on a laptop thats worth about €1100 that I paid €800 for. All while playing with poker chips that I got free from Guinness.

Bargain alerts is like mecca for students.

Much better deals to be had here John.

Get to know the Bargain Alerts forum, it is your friend. I say that to you while sitting on a €160 chair that I got for €30 and typing on a laptop thats worth about €1100 that I paid €800 for. All while playing with poker chips that I got free from Guinness.

Bargain alerts is like mecca for students.

Wow you are now my God :P

Nah, I've just been a student and a boardsie long enough!!

What course are you thinking of doing?

Nah, I've just been a student and a boardsie long enough!!

What course are you thinking of doing?

Food/Pharmacuetical Technology but hoping to transfer half way through the year into Physical & Life Science aka Science :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭elementalwater

We have Wi-fi in the really nice library in the Brugha. And from next week on we also have it in the common room in the basement.

We have Wi-fi in the really nice library in the Brugha. And from next week on we also have it in the common room in the basement.

OMG yay can't wait to start so excited :D I think I may just love Cathal Brugha st. :D

Oh and we should REALLY work on making the DIT wikipedia page alot nicer .....i tried and put stuff on it and made it a bit longer but maybe one of you Comp Sci people wouldnt mind making it fancy smelly trinitys is LONG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭eveie

im in Bolton st
    Advantages
    80% male population....sweet
    sound lecturers
    sound people
    nice atmosphere

Disadvantages
    d4's creeping in
    lack of computers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

eveie wrote: »
    im in Bolton st
    Advantages
    80% male population....sweet
    sound lecturers
    sound people
    nice atmosphere

Disadvantages
    d4's creeping in
    lack of computers

Wow, there's only once I've ever found the computers to be a bit on the sparse side and that was in the run up to the exams when everyone was fretting about getting projects in and doing computer exams!!!

Guess that shows just how subjective this thread is.

Bolton street is amazing though, really really good atmosphere there and I find the library quite good to study in. Then again if I have complete silence with nothing going on I fall asleep so the few people moving about helps me concentrate. The lecturers are brilliant too, they really do take an interest and get to know you. Having been in TCD it was so weird when all the lecturers ended up knowing my name.

The only bad things about Bolton Street I can think of would be its proximity to cineworld (not a problem really if you're interested in your course) and I can never make my laptop log on to the wifi there :( I've tried everything. I think vista might be to blame :(

Advertisement