Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easiest subject to cover in a year...

Options
  • 27-08-2008 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

OK... I have a feeling there is a thread on this somewhere, but can I find it?-can I f**K!:rolleyes:
    Basically I'm going to repeat. Got 520, need 555/560 (Vet).
    Anybody got any advice on what the best subject for me to pick up is??
    Already going to do Ag, english, irish, chemistry and biology..
    Was floating religion, business or maybe classics..
    Any ideas folks? Want to get an A1, and seeing as I'm doing english again and its from scratch, need a minimum work maximum profit (so far as possible) sort of solution..:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I hear economics is meant to be very doable, as is business. If you have the mind for it physics too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

how odd my friend is doing the exact same thing :)
    she's taking up geog and ag science this year, cause they both are the easiest subjects and ag science can be done in a year
    if you've done business before go for it but if not don't bother cause no matter what people say it's a very long course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 incubusking

I say out of all of them economics is probably the easiest to do. if you come from a farming background definitely try ag science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ciaranajl

Economics definitely. Though judging by how the smartest people I know did at it this year, they might be marking it harder now (one guy got 590 - the 10 points being lost in economics for which he recieved an a2).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Business in my opinion, basically you just learn it off, little understanding at all needed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 TheScript

I repeated last year, imo biology is a subject which can receive good grades if the work is put in, business is the same, u could get an A in a yr! Others who repeated in my class took up economics!
    I personally dropped Irish last yr and took up Geography, I was a D student in honors Irish but got a B1 in the LC geo exam this yr! If I were u id drop gaeilge unless its a very strong subject for ya,as ya know,it requires some considerable amount of work!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sarahbrennan

If you're practical i'd recommend construction. theres nothing to the theory, just learning drawings, but the practical might be a struggle if u never did it before. depends on if u'd have a good teacher too,

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

If you're musical at all and play an instrument try music. I picked it up and found it one of my favorite subjects in LC. There is alot of theory but a fair bit of it is common knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭IceICEbaby

I did geography in one year and got B....and that was with very little study
    (dropped the nasty b*tch that IS chemisty)

Very similar to Junior Cert Geography but in a bit more detail....so twas a breeze :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

Applied Maths .
    Extremely easy for some
    Almost impssoible for most

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

GA361 wrote: »
    Applied Maths .
    Extremely easy for some
    Almost impssoible for most

QFT - I did it in a year and got an A1, but if you don't have a very mathematical mind and decent physics intuition it's a mighty pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

I would say business is pretty easy to pick up, i also hear ag science is good too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Geography isn't quite as simple as it looks - as well as studying the course (which is 2 core questions, an elective and an optional question, plus short questions) you have to do the field study aswell. I'm not saying don't do it - it is possible to do it in a year. Just don't expect it to be a walk in the park.

I would say consider business - I didn't do it myself for LC but frankly all it is is learning stuff off. It would be easier than geography imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 TheScript

^^^^Square is completely correct,it isn't a walk in the park,if you put the work in yu will reap the rewards,like anything! However as Geo. was compulsory for JC, you have the fundamentals of the subject! Also if the project is completed to a high standard you are onto a winner! Its 20%! I got a B1 when i took it up this yr,when i repeated, and I would advise you or anybody to do so,if the points are needed for your desired course!!

TheScript wrote: »
    ^^^^Square is completely correct,it isn't a walk in the park,if you put the work in yu will reap the rewards,like anything!
    Yup, that is true.
    However as Geo. was compulsory for JC, you have the fundamentals of the subject!

Geography is not compulsorry for JC in a lot of schools though. It wasn't in our school and while a lot did it for JC only 5 of us did it for LC!
    In 5th year our teacher refused to take a student who hadn't done JC Geography, which was a bit harsh imo.

The Weasel - if you have done JC Geography, then that would definitely be a big advantage, especially with things like Ordnance Survey.
    If not, I would recommend picking something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Geography is really easy if you read newspapers occasionally. I answered on an option and elective that were neither covered in class nor by myself, and I must have done pretty well in them given I got a B1 while knowing very little about physical geography.

Here's an option question from the 2008 paper:

"Examine two major issues arising from the international aid debate."

That was worth 16% of the total grade. It's not very difficult to think of 2 issues with international aid and get 40 or however many significant relevant points down on the page. You don't need to swallow a geography book before hand. There was a similiarly beautiful elective question.

Just learn physical geography well, know how to read ordance survey maps and get a decent idea of what's going on in different regions (there aren't many, and two of them are in Ireland ffs). Then write good crap for the rest, and you should come out with an A. Of course this depends on you being able to write good crap. If you can't then Geography is going to be nasty slog and you might even end up learning sample answers.

If you think of it as CSPE Action Project - Part II, you should easily get near to full marks in the field study no problem. Just lay out every single fact without any wasteful gloss.

So to summarise: If you can read, write well and don't live in a cave, do geography.
    The Weasel - if you have done JC Geography, then that would definitely be a big advantage, especially with things like Ordnance Survey.
    If not, I would recommend picking something else.

I wouldn't say big advantage. I didn't do JC geography and it just meant I didn't know anything about physical geography prior to 5th year (still don't, but a more motivated student could've filled the gap easily enough, I'm sure) or where X 123 456 was on an ordance survey map.

So to summarise: If you can read, write well and don't live in a cave, do geography.
    And even if you do live in a cave, then you should be able answer the question about limestone features very well! :D
    Tbh I don't think LC Geography is as easy as people make it out to be - there is a lot of writing in the exam and I was stuck for time. (Although I badly wanted an A1 so maybe I just went overboard :confused:)

Having said that, the good thing about the exam is the broad choice of questions.
    I wouldn't say big advantage. I didn't do JC geography and it just meant I didn't know anything about physical geography prior to 5th year (still don't, but a more motivated student could've filled the gap easily enough, I'm sure) or where X 123 456 was on an ordance survey map.

Yes but you had 2 years, the OP only has 1.
    Starting a subject from scratch in 5th year is doable. Starting from scratch in 6th year would be much more difficult.
    I think it's better that they stick to a subject that they at least have some understanding of from JC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭*belle*

I took up business and ag sci when repeating. Got a1s in them so i have to say that they are both good subjects :) .

Ag Sci is grand if you like biology. The project is such a pain in the a** though .

I had never done any sort of business subject before, not even for JC, so it was annoying when the teacher would refer back to business from jc. I thought it was quite hard during the year tbh. I ended up cutting it down quite a lot to the sections i liked. On the day TIMING is so important. Its scary the amount of people who come out of the exam having messed up on their timing because they wrote too much on a question they liked. While the information is important in business, the LAYOUT of your answer is crucial.....Point ,Explain,Example..and always qoute in the abq.....

But the teachers in my school were really good. They get an loads of As each year. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

If you really worked at it Religion could be doable, if you have a good mind for religious texts etc, and understanding other peoples POV. However I have to say they put forward an extremely hard paper in June. I managed to get an A2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 The Weasel

Thanks folks, much appeciated!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭imfreein09

busiess this year is ok the ABQ is based on unites 1,2,3 which are the easiest units in the book!! so maybe tat and i love business anyway so it helps tat the ABQ is covering such easy units

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Hmm,wouldn't advise that you do Classics.Don't get me wrong,it's a great subject,one of my favourites in fact,but it requires a lot of reading and is marked ridiculously hard.I imagine there are easier courses out there if you need high points,and you do if you're looking for veterinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

Economics- Sure it's a short course...but it's hard to get A1.

I did App maths in 1 yr and got a1 and did economics for 2 years and got A2 even tho it was my fav subject...ended up not countin it.

You just can't rely on Economics marking schemes:pac::pac:

Advertisement