Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in gamestop/GAME?

Options
  • 27-08-2008 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

Hey lads, monday i had bad news for myself: cutbacks... So this is mine last weak of working in this restourant.

I was chef in there, but to be honest, i am not very interested in it ( was doing it for last 3 years).

I am gamer all my life, i only blablabla about games,cars. And i was allways thinking of working in such industry.

So whats the way of getting job in such places? And what you thing about such work? Maybe there is some people who do work in gamestop or GAME, and give me a few tips.

I know its not big money here. But to be honest i finnaly whant to do some job that i will enjoy. Money would not be the moust important thing. I did it before: money > work you like. And it was crap!

P.s. i am 22 years old aswell lads, wount people think that i am some crazy fella? Is it not too late to start such work? Btw i am not irish, but mine english is prety good, not spelling thought :) so sorry for all mistakes i made :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

This should probably be in Work & Jobs, but anyhow...

I used to work in Xtra-Vision, which is similar work in the sense that you get a discount on games and stuff like that. Sometimes you get to empart some information on people because you bother to read Edge and watch the 1up show etc., but for the most part the job is tedium to the max. If you're in a quiet store then it'd probably be a bit more fun, but I was in one of the busiest in Ireland, and it was 60% people moaning at you.

Either way, getting into it is fairly easy, but they might not be very quick to hire full time staff at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Yeah, I was thinking of applying next summer in Game, as they all seem to be very nice people. I hated my last job.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

This should probably be in Work & Jobs, but anyhow...

I used to work in Xtra-Vision, which is similar work in the sense that you get a discount on games and stuff like that. Sometimes you get to empart some information on people because you bother to read Edge and watch the 1up show etc., but for the most part the job is tedium to the max. If you're in a quiet store then it'd probably be a bit more fun, but I was in one of the busiest in Ireland, and it was 60% people moaning at you.

Either way, getting into it is fairly easy, but they might not be very quick to hire full time staff at the moment.

how did you got your one? in fas? some adds?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I spent 4 years working for GAME, started in the branch in Tallaght and moved to Dundrum after 3 years. If you're looking for a job at the moment it could be difficult - they'll probably stick with what they have until it's time for them to hire Christmas temps in October.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask me or PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Do not work in Xtra Vision. Part time is minimum wage. Full time is like a euro better (unless you are a manager then maybe 2.50 better).

It is a job for people who are in college.

• Advertisement

I spent 4 years working for GAME, started in the branch in Tallaght and moved to Dundrum after 3 years. If you're looking for a job at the moment it could be difficult - they'll probably stick with what they have until it's time for them to hire Christmas temps in October.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask me or PM.

cheers m8, well main question, how did you applyed for this work? i newer see in fas or jobs.ie such adverts...

And i will still ask, what kind of wages they paying. And how is it to work in such place?

I applied when I saw a job advert in the window of the branch in Tallaght. Just handed in a CV, had an interview 3 days later, started work the day after my interview.

When I left, I was on just under €10 an hour, and this is the first long service point, starting wage would be about €9 an hour (it was €8.29 starting off in 2003). The actual work itself is kinda boring (typical shop stuff, and general customer service), but the guys (and it really is almost all guys, quite frequently I was the only woman in my branch) are pretty sound to work with. Lots of gaming talk. :)

I applied when I saw a job advert in the window of the branch in Tallaght. Just handed in a CV, had an interview 3 days later, started work the day after my interview.

When I left, I was on just under €10 an hour, and this is the first long service point, starting wage would be about €9 an hour (it was €8.29 starting off in 2003). The actual work itself is kinda boring (typical shop stuff, and general customer service), but the guys (and it really is almost all guys, quite frequently I was the only woman in my branch) are pretty sound to work with. Lots of gaming talk. :)

hehe pret decent. And loads of gaming talk, atleast wont be that boring :). Btw wount i look like weirdo? 22 years old working in there? or its just in mine head?

I was 19 when I started and 23 when I left, most employees fit into that age bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Wait, you think working in Game will be fun!? I suppose you're imagining a world where intelligent and attractive gamers sit around sipping latte and discuss the latest releases with an erudite air. Not so, I'd imagine. You'll spend your time arguing with fat 14 year olds who are furious that the game they want isn't in stock, old women who want to know the difference between an Xbox 360 and their microwave and the endless crowd of people who want nothing more than to see you operate the till.

Highstreet shops are still highstreet shops, regardless of what it is they sell.

I'd imagine :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Ohh don't forget the 13 year old boys trying to buy 18 rated games.

Actually that's the fun part. I love it when they do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

how did you got your one? in fas? some adds?

They were advertising positions so I went in for an interview. They usually do quarterly open days so check posters in your local store for that.
    noodler wrote: »
    Do not work in Xtra Vision. Part time is minimum wage. Full time is like a euro better (unless you are a manager then maybe 2.50 better).

It is a job for people who are in college.

That's essentially the same situation as Game has... except Game will give you a bit of money if you're loyal...
    Zillah wrote: »
    I'd imagine :)

Very vivid and correct imagination there :p

Basically you have kids who think they know more then you, parents who think you're on commission to shiester them out of cash, and scumbags who think they've been hard done by with their cheap second hand disks not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Zillah wrote: »
    Wait, you think working in Game will be fun!? I suppose you're imagining a world where intelligent and attractive gamers sit around sipping latte and discuss the latest releases with an erudite air. Not so, I'd imagine. You'll spend your time arguing with fat 14 year olds who are furious that the game they want isn't in stock, old women who want to know the difference between an Xbox 360 and their microwave and the endless crowd of people who want nothing more than to see you operate the till.

Haha your actually right, i worked in game for 2 years (henry street branch then ILAC when it moved for a bit) and i wouldn't lie that you won't come across these types of people but you will. but its not all bad, if you have a good manager and good co-workers the banter can be great. I had great fun when i first started working :)

It really depends on which branch you go to now and apparently since each branch now is geared towards specific market types of people (for example, ILAC center branch is now more geared towards 'family' type customers, so the games in there will have a majority of lets say Nintendo Wii, DS etc and less of the PC,XBOX,PS etc). Thus i guess the type of public you will be dealing with can vary.

As Kirby said, they will most likely be hiring only christmas temps when it runs up to christmas but i would also hand in CV's now actually to any of the branches for part-time or full-time work. I dropped in my CV before i started college in September and got an interview 2 days later (and then got the job), so i was sorted for a job while in college.

I wouldn't worry about you thinking your to old to work in there, we had many peeps much older than me who were in their mid/late 20's so you'll be fine

Basically you have kids who think they know more then you, parents who think you're on commission to shiester them out of cash, and scumbags who think they've been hard done by with their cheap second hand disks not working.

Not one word of a lie :D

Haha your actually right, i worked in game for 2 years (henry street branch then ILAC when it moved for a bit) and i wouldn't lie that you won't come across these types of people but you will. but its not all bad, if you have a good manager and good co-workers the banter can be great. I had great fun when i first started working :)

It really depends on which branch you go to now and apparently since each branch now is geared towards specific market types of people (for example, ILAC center branch is now more geared towards 'family' type customers, so the games in there will have a majority of lets say Nintendo Wii, DS etc and less of the PC,XBOX,PS etc). Thus i guess the type of public you will be dealing with can vary.

As Kirby said, they will most likely be hiring only christmas temps when it runs up to christmas but i would also hand in CV's now actually to any of the branches for part-time or full-time work. I dropped in my CV before i started college in September and got an interview 2 days later (and then got the job), so i was sorted for a job while in college.

I wouldn't worry about you thinking your to old to work in there, we had many peeps much older than me who were in their mid/late 20's so you'll be fine

heh cheers m8, i i wll do that, i will drop CV in local gamestop, and maybe in cork city and surrounding towns. I have no problem driving.

Like alot of said: there are alot of of Bas****. But every place has them. you cant even imagine how many stupid poeple i get while shefing, and how thick and non-thinking poeple are. If you whant a few examples, plz do, ask.

Now i really dont look at this work from pink glasses prospective. Its a job. And it has its downs and ups. So i am ready for everything. And i actually really like explaining thick people about real proper cars and game consoles/games. I can spend hours explaining some ather chef whats is blu-ray. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

and scumbags who think they've been hard done by with their cheap second hand disks not working.

Lovely sentiment, surely a game should work for you if you buy it second hand, scumbag or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Invitation to Treat.

Know it. Love it. Use it. :rolleyes:

sweetie wrote: »
    Lovely sentiment, surely a game should work for you if you buy it second hand, scumbag or not?

"Ohnoz, my €3 copy of Fifa 2006 has a tiny scratch which in no way impedes the game function, the sky is falling!"

13 year olds trying to buy 18 rated games was hilarious though, I used to be a total bitch for ID'ing people for 18 rated games just because it was funny. I used to like telling parents who were buying certain games for kids under 10 about the exact content too, and then see little Jimmy get screamed at.

I'm a bitch. :)

Hey, in Xtra Vision you have the scum of the earth swearing they didn't rent DVDs out and bring them back late and swear you are lieing about fines to get some pocket money. Then when you show them the print out they say you could have done that (which I couldn't have).

Then when they are the only place open in a village post 7 or 8 o clock on a weekend night (or other nights) you get scumbags coming in in groups of 5 or 6 stealing confectionary (which I swear to god is much more annoying than it sounds-you don't just brush it off like you ould imagine).

Phew. Tis quiet some nights tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I've gotten the impression that a decent portion of employees in game/gamestop stores have little interest or knowledge in games and are pretty bored by working there. It's a shame because if they were more selective in that regard they'd attract some real enthusiasts to work there and really improve the shops.
    Xtra-vision staff on the other hand usually like to talk about movies.

• Advertisement

I don't want to sound rude, but when I was there I was also in college everyday. I didn't get that much time to watch DVDs nor did I want to se every piece of crap that had been released in a given month.

So when people ask (and were talking 20 people a shift) I used to be honest and they'd be disappinted giving it the whole 'its your job isn't it. No actually my job involves, hoovering, polishing, serving people, trying to keep balances down on accounts, merchandising and dealing with scumbag alerts. The 8e an hour they were paying me didn't oblige me to watch every film in the place in my own precious sparetime.

Anyway, eventually found it easier to lie and randomly say it was good or bad. People were none the wiser.

Like alot of said: there are alot of of Bas****. But every place has them. you cant even imagine how many stupid poeple i get while shefing, and how thick and non-thinking poeple are. If you whant a few examples, plz do, ask.

Ohh, the irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

English obviously isnt the OPs first language.

Give him a break :rolleyes:

beerbaron wrote: »
    English obviously isnt the OPs first language.

Give him a break :rolleyes:

Thanks, i live in ireland for 3 years. And i am lithuanian, i can speak english prety good. But mine spelling is terrible. So all english teachers plz back off!

Now on topic. Once i went to GAME in Cork city. And i asked one fella working there about warhammer soulstorm: can i play it without main game. To mine surprise he explained everything about the game, whats new in it, what do i expect and how does it work all together. And how good it is if you are warhammer fan. And this was first time in my life when salesman is game shops helped me with info on game. I was very impresed, even whanted to ask to talk to manager and say a good few words about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭DanOB

just on that point, is there anywhere which has a focus on pc games? in every store i go into i see less and less pc games for sale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭DanOB

"Ohnoz, my €3 copy of Fifa 2006 has a tiny scratch which in no way impedes the game function, the sky is falling!"

13 year olds trying to buy 18 rated games was hilarious though, I used to be a total bitch for ID'ing people for 18 rated games just because it was funny. I used to like telling parents who were buying certain games for kids under 10 about the exact content too, and then see little Jimmy get screamed at.

I'm a bitch. :)

i like you ;)

DanOB wrote: »
    just on that point, is there anywhere which has a focus on pc games? in every store i go into i see less and less pc games for sale

nowhere as far as i know, most game shops i've been in have a very limited PC section.

Pc gaming is dying, donntcha know. ;)

Now on topic. Once i went to GAME in Cork city. And i asked one fella working there about warhammer soulstorm: can i play it without main game. To mine surprise he explained everything about the game, whats new in it, what do i expect and how does it work all together. And how good it is if you are warhammer fan. And this was first time in my life when salesman is game shops helped me with info on game. I was very impresed, even whanted to ask to talk to manager and say a good few words about him.

We always had staff designated to look after and be in charge of certain sections of the shop. Since i was mainly a PC gamer, i looked after the PC section and since i knew most about PC games all enquiries about PC games would have went towards me :). I was always checking up about most of the games or even played a fair bit of them anyway so i knew what they were about etc. It would have been fairly hard to have someone who knew EVERYTHING about every game and console.
    DanOB wrote:

Hmm, well Henry Street/ILAC center did have the best PC section as far as im aware (i made damn well sure of that!), but i haven't been in there in ages so i don't know what its like now. I think last time they actually reduced the size of the section. Dawson street is the same. Pretty much any shop iv been in now doesn't have a decent PC section in it. Your probably better off looking up and reviewing games online and then buying them online tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Thanks, i live in ireland for 3 years. And i am lithuanian, i can speak english prety good. But mine spelling is terrible. So all english teachers plz back off!

I bet his English is a damn site better than most of our Lithuanian.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭sir snackbox

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Invitation to Treaty.

Know it. Love it. Use it. :rolleyes:

that saves your skin so much ha ha ... im workin in GAME atm and i dont know how many times ive quoted that ha.. works a treat

and cant remeber who said it... zillah i think... but a highstreet store is a highstreet store... yeh there is a bit of gaming banter but a good 75% of it is all customer service and dustin shelves and fixin the shop floor!

Advertisement