Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in gamestop/GAME?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I understand the reference to the law of contract, but I don't get the relevance. You have a sign in the window saying a game is fifty quid, someone comes to buy it and you tell them haha I'm going to charge you 60, the sign is just an invitation to treat? What am I missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

When I was in XV, if something was advetised in a medium then we had to do it. Not if something was stickered wrong.

No f****** way, I mean think about the amount of people who would change sticker prices for that specific purpose?

The only ads in the main window were XV sanctioned and were never wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Getting a job in one of those shops is usually about timing. Just have to be there when they need staff. They get loads of CVs in every week. Having previous experience in retail is handy too.

EDIT: Don't worry about the age thing. I'm 21 and going back to Game. Been working in game shops since I was 16 but I've always been one of the youngest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

We always had staff designated to look after and be in charge of certain sections of the shop. Since i was mainly a PC gamer, i looked after the PC section and since i knew most about PC games all enquiries about PC games would have went towards me :). I was always checking up about most of the games or even played a fair bit of them anyway so i knew what they were about etc. It would have been fairly hard to have someone who knew EVERYTHING about every game and console.

Hmm, well Henry Street/ILAC center did have the best PC section as far as im aware (i made damn well sure of that!), but i haven't been in there in ages so i don't know what its like now. I think last time they actually reduced the size of the section. Dawson street is the same. Pretty much any shop iv been in now doesn't have a decent PC section in it. Your probably better off looking up and reviewing games online and then buying them online tbh.

People in ireland are to laizy i guess, for pc gaming. They dont whant to learn about pcs, And when they find out, that they need a Rigg that costs about 1.5k eu to be able to play games atleast with decent graphics, they just go to xblender or ps3.

And its alot more easyer to use consloes, like i said before, and video game nerd: " just pop this fu*ker in!" :D

one more thing that makes pc games not attractive. You cant trade them in! Thats why alot of people stick with ps3/xblender i guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Whats an Xblender? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Whats an Xblender? :confused:

An Xbox that eats children.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Quite the contraption. It musnt have a high success rate because there are still loads of screaming children when I'm on XBL.

I know what the kids will be getting this Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

nowhere as far as i know, most game shops i've been in have a very limited PC section.

Pc gaming is dying, donntcha know. ;)

So the Megadrive finally won ? :P
    Thanks, i live in ireland for 3 years. And i am lithuanian, i can speak english prety good. But mine spelling is terrible. So all english teachers plz back off!

Your English is very good for someone only here 3 years, but you should have a native speaker review your CV just to make sure everything is perfect.

For jobs like this CVs go in the bin very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

noodler wrote: »
    Anyway, eventually found it easier to lie and randomly say it was good or bad. People were none the wiser.

I usually gave the general sentiment of the film... as in "so & so saw it and said it was this/that/other" rather then directly referencing myself, but I always prefaced stuff with "each to their own" because somehow I actually had people try to get a refund because they were recommended films and didn't like them.
    sweetie wrote: »
    Lovely sentiment, surely a game should work for you if you buy it second hand, scumbag or not?

You really have to work in one of these stores to get the bittersweet taste of hatred. Most of the time these games came back in a worse state then they left, and that's why they didn't work. Often people will buy 2nd hand games to replace wrecked discs they have at home, bring back the wrecked disk and demand a refund... Luckily my store had so many traded games it was easy to annoy these customers by giving them the same game back out.

I know I come across really badly and put a bad reputation on employees of these types of stores, but all I ever asked when working there is for people to treat me as I tread people in other stores when I go to buy things, or maybe even bring defective products back (rarely happens, if ever). Most of the time you either get scumbags with some mad sense that they've got more rights then god ever intended any being to have so they go shouting about the place like there's no tomorrow, or you get incredibly snotty people who look down on you and your part-time beer-funding job.

My best two weeks were the two weeks of my notice when I got to be snotty and mouthy back :D

I actually had people try to get a refund because they were recommended films and didn't like them.

Another reason not to put yourself out there by recommending a film. I remember this one knacker saying he was coming back for a refund if the GAA game was crap. I told him that you don't get refunds if you don't like the game (no matter how bad it was). I was a great employee, fast, efficient and great with nearly all customers.

Its just the****s that you remember.

People ask to look at a preowned game to check its condition and then try, right on front of my eyes, to somehow 'clean' the scrathes by rubbing their sleeves on them completely the wrong way (i.e. not in the inwards to outwards manner) and then decide they won't take it.

You don't wanna be part of the ensuing argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

noodler wrote: »
    I remember this one knacker saying he was coming back for a refund if the GAA game was crap. I told him that you don't get refunds if you don't like the game (no matter how bad it was).

Ironic that it was a store that rented titles out, too.

If you have any love for the medium of Videogames, then I recommend you don't work in a store that sells them. Don't be under any illusion, you won't be playing games all day. You won't be talking to enthuastic customers about your favourite games. You will most likely end up with a bunch of people who have become jaded from this style and don't care or are so far up their own arse that god couldn't reach them.

Still it beats laying bricks all day.

The money is crap too.

CCCP^ wrote: »
    If you have any love for the medium of Videogames, then I recommend you don't work in a store that sells them. Don't be under any illusion, you won't be playing games all day. You won't be talking to enthuastic customers about your favourite games. You will most likely end up with a bunch of people who have become jaded from this style and don't care or are so far up their own arse that god couldn't reach them.

Still it beats laying bricks all day.

well true, i dont expect playing games all day :) , its a job, nothing more. Thought would be nice surrounded with poeple who likes games, and have a chat once awhile about them.

But i see alot of poeple against it :(

It would just suck if you with into this thing with some beliefs which would be eroded once the reality set in. It's not bad if your a 18-22 and it's indoors - always a plus :)

Now, to infect someone else with my pessimistic views! *Flies away*

CCCP^ wrote: »
    It would just suck if you with into this thing with some beliefs which would be eroded once the reality set in. It's not bad if your a 18-22 and it's indoors - always a plus :)

Now, to infect someone else with my pessimistic views! *Flies away*

well true... Thing is i finished on thursday, and on friday i got a job in ather hotel... I kind of did not expected that, i was hoping to have a weak off or something :( .

But i still thing about it, like i said i do know thats a job, i dont expect just fun. Thought when i will be working in game industry, wount i just get bored with it too fast, and it will just push me away from gaming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭sir snackbox

Zillah wrote: »
    I understand the reference to the law of contract, but I don't get the relevance. You have a sign in the window saying a game is fifty quid, someone comes to buy it and you tell them haha I'm going to charge you 60, the sign is just an invitation to treat? What am I missing?

oh when its on display in the window then it should be that price... like if its advertised (i.e. displayed in the public domain and not jus on the shop floor) then your entitled to get it at the price u saw

Advertisement