Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed urgently

Options
  • 27-08-2008 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently purchased my own horse, a lovely 13 year old 16.5 hand chestnut mare called Bella.

I have stabeld her in Aird Chuan (won't advice anyone to use that facility)..however, I noticed yesterday that she was going a bit skinny. She has a bit of a runny nose as well, but seems healthy enough otherwise and her appetite is huge.
    She has been vaccinated 2 weeks ago against horse influenza (first time in 3 years), could it be a symptome from that?
    I am very much inclined to call a vet to ahve a look(would certainly do that for a cat as I know runny noses and weightloss in cats is a bad sign), but not sure of her. She's being fed I think twice a day on silage, and usually on grass otherwise..any advice? :confused:

Comments

Please note that any advice given is just that - advice.

Boards.ie does not offer a veterinary service and if in doubt, please consult a vet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

It could be anything. If you feel its urgent then call the vet!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭ell

If your horse is getting too skinny you need to talk to yard owners asap and sort out her feed quantity. While yards do their best regarding feeindg its really your job as horse owner to make sure everything is ok. If she's getting skinny, do sort it out asap. If you've any issues regarding her health, do call a vet out to check her. Also if you dont like the facility, and you are not happy with your horse being there, perhaps maybe look for somewhere else. At the end of the day your horses health & well being is up to you.

Is she really being fed on silage? Or is it haylage? How often is she out for each day and how long is she stabled for?

Good luck and give your horse a rub from me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

I'd be pretty sure it is as a result of the vaccination. If it was my horse i wouldn't call the vet yet. What colour is the discharge from her nose?
    The weight loss could be anything. Perhaps she isn't getting enough to eat.

No need to worry yet OP IMO. But consult your vet if you need re-assurance.

The most important thing is that you follow up your vaccination, otherwise it's worthless and a waste of euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭JB1

All,
    many thanks for your replys.Had the vet look at Bella, she has a slight cold and is being majorly underfed. Had a row with the stableowner who denied her being fed too little (despite the very obvious weightloss) and moved her yesterday to another stable.People there were horrified by the state of her and have put her on an immideate diet to gain weight...very pleased when I came today that she was standing liturally kneedeep in hayage/silage (wouldn't know the difference to be honest) and did not launch at it like a starving dog...extremly happy!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭ell

Good work :) It's a good idea to keep an eye on her weight quite often (I check mine every time I see them) as when the seasons / availability of grass / work levels and turnout changes you'll often have to review what and how much she will need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I'm so glad you got that sorted, its not the nicest of situations to be in, but well done!
    Something that annoys me no end is someone charging you to look after your horse and doing the complete opposite!!

Advertisement