Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1ST year actuarial and financial studies q

Options
  • 27-08-2008 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi!
    I'm just going into to 1st year studying the above course.Wondering if the whole thing of choosing core option and elective modules applies to me and if it does can anyone advise me on what to choose?

Help appreciated, a bit confused!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Desirah wrote: »
    Hi!
    I'm just going into to 1st year studying the above course.Wondering if the whole thing of choosing core option and elective modules applies to me and if it does can anyone advise me on what to choose?

Help appreciated, a bit confused!!
    Hi, I'm starting first year actuarial and financial too!:) AFAIK for first year there are 10 core modules so you don't have any options to choose from but you must pick two elective modules. I still don't know what to choose but I might do the mechanics modules as I did App Maths for the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've said it once and I'll say it again, level 1 language modules are piss easy to pass if you need a handy elective.

Have a read of the Easy Electives thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

I've said it once and I'll say it again, level 1 language modules are piss easy to pass if you need a handy elective.

Have a read of the Easy Electives thread :)
    Thanks for the advice. Can I just ask whether I take both electives in the same Semester or do I take one elective in Semester 1 and the other elective in Semester 2?

It depends which semester your chosen electives are offered in. The most sensible way is to pick one Semester 1 elective and one Semester 2 elective, but it is possible to do both in one semester. It just means more work in that semester and less in the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

If you're looking for a relatively easy but interesting module do COMP10030 (algorithmic problem solving) in semester 1. It's an easy enough A for anyone in Actuary, but you'd want to be attending the lectures.

Maybe Intro to Quanitive Economics in semester 2, it's leaving cert calculus, I haven't done it but a few others in Actuary did. The lectures are strictly optional:p

Overall, first year afs is great.
    Numbers and Functions will wreck your head, you'll probably be bored out of you skull if you go to economics lectures, second semester computers is a lot harder than first semester, oh and if the timetable is anything liek last year, choose macr-economics in the first semester, otherwise you'll have 4 nine o'clock starts in the week. With macro, you'll probably only have 2. (it was like that for us anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

It depends which semester your chosen electives are offered in. The most sensible way is to pick one Semester 1 elective and one Semester 2 elective, but it is possible to do both in one semester. It just means more work in that semester and less in the other.

Easy elective thread you say? Do tell. ;)

Advertisement