Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Group Stage Draw

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Mr. X wrote: »
    ABSOLUTE COK JOHN TERRY MY HOLE!!!

I'd edit this if I was you - he was easily the best defender in the competition last year. Remember that premiership games are irrelevant for this award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Hmmm cech for gk, terry for defender...some sort of pattern here...Lampard for midfield it is so :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Where was Riise?

Kuyt for midfielder of the year

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Was always going to be Terry to be fair.

No. Rio ferdinand was by far and away Europes best defender last year. That decision is a joke.
    I'd edit this if I was you - he was easily the best defender in the competition last year. Remember that premiership games are irrelevant for this award.

No, Uniteds defence got them to the final and the key man was Rio. Vidic missed both semis with barcelona and Rio was absolutely immense. To say he was "easily" the best is laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is the woman presenter the same one Gerrard stood and watched fainting a in 06? :)

lol they do realise United were the best team in the CL last year don't they? why are they giving all of the awards to Chelski?

No, UTD and Chelsea were equally as good. You just won a coinflip of a penalty shootout - doesn't mean you were a better team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Stekelly wrote: »
    Is the woman presenter the same one Gerrard stood and watched faintign in 06? :)

no. but surely Mr. Chelsea wouldn't stand by and do the same? :D

psv in with Liverpool

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Ronaldo is beside Fergie so presumably he is midfielder of the year.

Rick Parry is on his tod. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Eindhoven! Jurassic Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Rossi to come back and haunt us:(
    Least we didnt get Roma again!!!

villarreal in with utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Juve and Real nice one!!

No, UTD and Chelsea were equally as good. You just won a coinflip of a penalty shootout - doesn't mean you were a better team.

We were the only team in last years CL who didn't lose a game mate. I dont think you'll find too many people who'll argue that we werent Europes best team last season and to try and take that away from us is fairly petty tbh.

Do you no know he rules? The winner is automatically better, man for man, than every other team in it. Had Terry scored hi speno, every Chelsea player would have been better,

See how it works?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lumpard??

heh they all play for ELP teams and of corse its Frank Lampard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/Ronaldo suppresses a tear

Mike.

We were the only team in last years CL who didn't lose a game mate. I dont think you'll find too many people who'll argue that we werent Europes best team last season and to try and take that away from us is fairly petty tbh.

I have argued this point consistently since the final. Winning a penalty shootout after a very even game where either side controlled periods doesn't make you a better team - it makes you better at spotkicks on the night. The awards are reflecting this anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Sorry lads this complete and utter Bullsh!t, where was ronnie , sorry but what the hell is happening here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Is this a piss-take?

Roman's been spreading his cash around!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

lampard....come on....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I can understand Lampard and Cech getting the awards, but Terry getting it over Ferdinand is a joke - Rio should have got it for the games against Barcelona alone.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Do you no know he rules? The winner is automatically better, man for man, than every other team in it. Had Terry scored hi speno, every Chelsea player would have been better,

See how it works?

Oh sorry, silly me. I'll buy the Sun and the Mirror tomorrow to get a better grasp of how it works.

Ronaldo must be being classed as a forward for the awards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I missed that, was Ronaldo amongst the Midfielders?

darkskol wrote: »
    Hmmm cech for gk, terry for defender...some sort of pattern here...Lampard for midfield it is so :P

Hah who would of guessed that....will it be a clean sweep with drogba for striker?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Hopefully Sheva will get what he deserves, best forward by a mile in the champions league last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Hah who would of guessed that....will it be a clean sweep with drogba for striker?

As a Chelsea fan....he bloody well better not.

I have argued this point consistently since the final. Winning a penalty shootout after a very even game where either side controlled periods doesn't make you a better team - it makes you better at spotkicks on the night. The awards are reflecting this anyway.

Of course you have, on the night the teams were even, but I think United performed better over the course of the tournament, had tougher games to play and didn't lose at all.

I would give Drogba the striker award actually, if only for his games against Liverpool.

/shakes fist

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Drogba for striker?? :pac:

I don't agree with the Lampard or Terry wins tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Who votes on these things, is it club managers?

zenit st petersburg in with real and juve some group this is shaping up to be

Not a chance with him getting sent off in the final.

Group H shaping up to be the group of death.

Real Madrid
    Juventus
    Zenit

:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭kev_s88

real
    juve
    zenit

nice!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Haha gwan the Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭kev_s88

united
    villarreal
    celtic

ronaldo will win best striker of course (unless Torres nicks it but as said earlier Parry is on his own while ronaldo there with fergie)

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Drogba for striker?? :pac:

I don't agree with the Lampard or Terry wins tbh.

Arsenal got knocked out in the quarters so Cesc wasn't going to get it. So it comes down to Essien, Scholes and Lampard; all 3 played well and lampard got a goal in the final - his pick isn't that odd. Its the Terry one that has me most perplexed - I really don't think he deserved it.

• Advertisement

mayordenis wrote: »
    Hopefully Sheva will get what he deserves, best forward by a mile in the champions league last year.

Holy crap is it 2004 again?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Shame there's not a manager award as Avram Grant could have won.

Celtic and Man Unirah. :)

celtic in with utd going to be an interesting game

United's group certainly isn't looking easy. We should get through, but they won't be easy games.

Liverpool
    PSV
    Marseille

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

UTD and CELTIC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Well theres a group Celtic won't be getting out of.

pool with psv and oly. marseille interesting

The awards are a joke. Essien played 90% of last season for Chelsea at right back but was nominated for midfielder of the year. He's a super player and if he played midfield would have won it IMO. But that sums it up.

It should be

GK: Cech
    Defender: Rio
    Midfielder: Fabregas
    Forward: Ronaldo

Or if Ronaldo was put as a midfielder then himself and Torres for the forward.

Like i said, Chawsea didnt go last season unbeaten in the CL. We did. And set records along the way while doing so. The final was even but then we scored a well worked goal, they got a jambag goal off a slip by VDS and a deflection along the way. We were then kept in the shootout due to Terry being unable to score his penalty. Really your point is moot and you come accross very bitter. I have never once tried to take away any clubs achievements in the CL. Doing so changes nothing and would make me look like a prat. IMO every team who wins the final deserves the cup unless they score a freak goal and the other side has say 3 goals disallowed but that has never happened and I dont see it happening. The best team in that competition that year wins it. Chelsea missed more penalties than us, I believe thats part of the game isnt it? Sorry Lloyd but u come out looking very bitter trying to take this away from United. Doesnt matter tho, we won it, and nothing u say will change that. Sorry to break it to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Group H looking like the Group of Death so far.

Now, Ronaldo WILL win this one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement