Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Group Stage Draw

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Ronnie nominated for the forwards, a shoe-in surely.

edit: yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Big round this time.

A load of crap teams AND Fiorentina and Athletico

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Striker of the year is Ronaldo (they have changed his job title so he can win this!)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Could have seen Celtic causing problems for Pool, not United unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Here we go forward of the year........ronaldo wins it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

RONALDO.... CLUB FORWARD OF THE YEAR.

so from
    Cech , Terry , Lampard and Ronaldo they pick the PLAYER OF THE YEAR . yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Midfielder: Fabregas

Sorry I didn't read the rest of your post because this is incredibly lol. Fabregas was awful over two legs in the money tie against Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The awards are a joke. Essien played 90% of last season for Chelsea at right back but was nominated for midfielder of the year. He's a super player and if he played midfield would have won it IMO. But that sums it up.

It should be

GK: Cech
    Defender: Rio
    Midfielder: Fabregas
    Forward: Ronaldo

Or if Ronaldo was put as a midfielder then himself and Torres for the forward.

Like i said, Chawsea didnt go last season unbeaten in the CL. We did. And set records along the way while doing so. The final was even but then we scored a well worked goal, they got a jambag goal off a slip by VDS and a deflection along the way. We were then kept in the shootout due to Terry being unable to score his penalty. Really your point is moot and you come accross very bitter. I have never once tried to take away any clubs achievements in the CL. Doing so changes nothing and would make me look like a prat. IMO every team who wins the final deserves the cup unless they score a freak goal and the other side has say 3 goals disallowed but that has never happened and I dont see it happening. The best team in that competition that year wins it. Chelsea missed more penalties than us, I believe thats part of the game isnt it? Sorry Lloyd but u come out looking very bitter trying to take this away from United. Doesnt matter tho, we won it, and nothing u say will change that. Sorry to break it to you.

This isn't an award for best team as in the award goes to......Chelsea.....or Utd. It's individual players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

united will get anorthosis hopefully.

A nice trip to cyprus :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Good lad Ronaldo. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

In fairness and I mean this Utd already have the best team award,
    It's a big shiny cup and it got handed over in moscow.

aalbourg in with utd villarreal and celtic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Hmmm....

Man u - Villareal - Celtic - Danish team...

Deja vu...? Hope so!!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Hmmm....

Man u - Villareal - Celtic - Danish team...

Deja vu...? Hope so!!
    eh?

arsenal
    porto
    fenerbache
    Dinamo Kiev

tough group?

that means athlti for pool :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

At least we got the handy group.........

Arsenal have a tricky enough group, with Porto, Fener and D. Kiev. Chelsea and Liverpool have a group about the same as Uniteds. Really, all 4 english sides have tricky enough groups. All should get through but it won't be easy for them.

EDIT: Actually, Liverpool have a VERY tricky group. Marsaille, PSV and At. Madrid! VERY tricky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Liverpool's group looks very tricky indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool
    PSV
    Marseille
    Atletico Madrid it had to be!

Mike.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Sorry I didn't read the rest of your post because this is incredibly lol. Fabregas was awful over two legs in the money tie against Liverpool.

No he wasnt. He actually did very well considering Flamini got injured very early on. And by your own logic that makes VDS the GK winner since he stepped up when necessary and Terry couldnt win since he bottled the penalty........

And your argument about the awards reflecting the true standings is a joke.

GK and Defender go to Chelsea players and yet United conceded less goals than Chelsea in both the CL and the Premier League last year. So LOL back at ya pal.

I dont even think Terry and Lampard were the best players in their respective positions for Cheslea last year let alone Europe :rolleyes: Ballack and Carvalho were better.

F*ck, did not see Atletico.

Liverpool
    PSV
    Olymp. Marseille
    Athletico madrid....:(

Torres going home

I'm delighted with Liverpool's group. It's fairly handy compared to what it could have been

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

mayordenis wrote: »
    that means athlti for pool :P

ah b0llocks...

• Advertisement

A

Chelsea
    Roma
    Bordeaux
    CFR 1907 Cluj (ROM)

B

Inter Milan
    Werder Bremen
    Panathinaikos
    Anorthosis (CYP)

C

Barcelona
    Sporting Lisbon
    Basel
    Shaktar Donetsk

D

Liverpool
    PSV
    Marseille
    Athletico Madrid

E

Man Utd
    Villarreal
    Celtic
    Aalborg BK (DEN)

F

Lyon
    Bayern Munich
    Steaua Bucaresti
    Fiorentina

G

Arsenal
    Porto
    Fenerbache
    Dynamo Kiev

H

Real Madrid
    Juventus
    Zenit St. Petersburg
    BATE Borisov (BLR)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Luis'll get such a round of applause, and Nando in Madrid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Torres back to Madrid, it was inevitable :D

I think Liverpool and Arsenal got the tougher of the groups. I'm pretty happy with United's.

There should be some fantastic football in Group H.

Tough enough group for Liverpool, nobody that pool should fear but nobody that you could consider a cake walk.

Chelsea have the easiest by far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'm fairly confident of going through with Athletico.

TBH as usual, a tough draw is usually the best, the team has an awful habi of switching off against lesser teams and trying to phone it in.

Group E

Man Utd
    Villarreal
    Celtic
    Aalborg BK (DEN)

Looks a bit too much like the group we had the year we didnt make it out of the group! :(

Tough group but hopefully we'll be ok.

Need to go to Villarreal and get a result cos I wouldnt be one bit suprised if we lost to Celtic away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Aguero to outshine Torres? :pac:

Delighted we have Basel, our jersey colours are derived from them, because we had a swiss founder. Good group for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think United and Chelsea will go through comfortably. Arsenal's is harder but I think they will make it. Liverpool's is definitely the worst and I'd not be too confident of them making it. They should, but if they play like they did last night they will struggle.

so what are peoples predictions for the groups?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Man Utd v Celtic :D When Celtic play the English teams, they're usually great games.

Considering how difficult it could've been, not a bad group. Juve, Real and Zenit in one group looks very interesting. Liverpool definitely got the toughest group (of the English teams).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

screw the draw

the real question is who was the sexy bird presenting the draw with that other muppet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Should be a grand group for United. Hard to see anything other than United and Villarreal coming out of that group.

Liverpool's went from very easy to being kinda tricky with Athletico coming out as the 4th seeds in the draw. The 4th seeds were fukked. No way can Athletico/Fiorentina compare to BATE/Aalborg/Cluj/Anthorsis. What will help Liverpool though is that its likely every team will take points off the others in that group.

Arsenal should be fine as well, a couple of tricky away ties though. But they should win the home ties handy and a few away draws will see them through.

Chelsea will pi$$ through that group.

The Juve/Real/St Petersburg group should be very interesting

JEFF STELLING JUST SAID...."FC Cluj, they'll be dancing in the streets of Trannsylvania tonight after that draw" LOL, Jeff the legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

If Pool drew a tougher team than PSV in pot 2 I think they might have struggled. They should be ok though.

Arsenal may struggle in Kiev and Istanbul, but then I think those teams may struggle in London. If they pick up 3 points at home to Porto, and 1 draw away from home I'd say they'll be fine.

United + particularly Chelsea will have absolutely no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

English football really does just dominate. Probably 90% of the nominees were playing for an English club. Good to see!

• Advertisement

Villareal vs Man Utd will be a quality tie, aswell as Atletico vs Liverpool and Madrid vs Juventus. The Spanish teams (bar Barca) definitely have one extremely tough tie each...

It's bad news for us though, because it means we will have a much harder first knockout round... More than likely someone like Juventus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

DrMorphine wrote: »
    English football really does just dominate. Probably 90% of the nominees were playing for an English club. Good to see!

Ya good to see corkman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Man utd , Villareal , Celtic and Aalburg I 'll take that.

Liverpool , PSV , Marsille and Atletico Madrid. Tricky group .

Chelsea , Roma , Bordeaux and CFR CLUJ , Chelsea fans must be happy

Arsenal , Porto, Fenerbahce and KIEV Again Tricky , Arsenal should get through but some hard away fixtures

Group F and H look very interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

darkskol wrote: »
    so what are peoples predictions for the groups?

tough to call, but the only upsets I can really see occuring are in either Arsenal's, Liverpool's or Real Madrid's group (think Zenit might give the top two seeds a run for their money, especially considering how poor those two traditionally are in the group stages).

Liverpool's is self explanatory;

Last year Fenerbache were very good, although they've lost their coach Zico, i still think they can provide an upset or two. And Kiev are always among the more difficult 4th seeds. that will come down to the wire imo.

Fiorentina then will be the only other team capable of disrupting the normal flow of things, but i don't think they'll get out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

A lot of familiar opposition for Liverpool. It should be a cracking group. Any two could go through and it will probably be decided on the last day (in the last minute of stoppage time knowing our luck:()

Good group for Celtic too. They won't be favourites but I'd say they're in with a decent chance of escaping with Manchester United. The order of the fixtures might make a difference between them and Villareal but I fancy Celtic to get something from Manchester more than I'd expect Villareal to.

All the groups look interesting. I hope we get to see some decent coverage of the non-British-involvement groups.

No he wasnt. He actually did very well considering Flamini got injured very early on. And by your own logic that makes VDS the GK winner since he stepped up when necessary and Terry couldnt win since he bottled the penalty........

And your argument about the awards reflecting the true standings is a joke.

GK and Defender go to Chelsea plaayers and yet United conceded less goals than Chelsea in both the CL and the Premier League last year. So LOL back at ya pal.

No it doesn't - there is a difference between the results of an individual penalty and two 90 minute matches. Is that too difficult for you to understand?

I have not said the awards reflect the true standings. What I said was that there was no difference between the teams - and, as such, the awards did not HAVE to go to Utd players.

Again the Premier league is irrelevant. A couple of goals difference in the CL also is unimportant. This was not an award for the better defensive unit - but for the better center back and goalkeeper. I think that if Utd had been able to swap one of Ferdinand / Vidic for Terry and VDS for Cech they would have been a better side over the course of the competition. And therefore I think the awards made sense.

But hey, the football coaches who voted for the awards are wrong and you are right hey? Carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Champions League draw show: my thoughts

1. I want to shag Melanie
    2. I thought Zizou was going to headbutt the guy in the wheelchair
    3. I thought Zizou was going to headbutt Christiano Ronaldo
    4. I thought Zizou was going to headbutt somebody
    5. I really want to shag Melanie
    6. The European Player of the year awards are a joke after seeing who got them
    7. Melanie, Melanie, Melanie

Is it not a little suspicious that both Luca Toni and Torres, who at the time of leaving their ex-clubs they were the absolute icons, get to pay a nice visit back home? :pac:

eagle eye wrote: »
    Champions League draw show: my thoughts

1. I want to shag Melanie
    2. I thought Zizou was going to headbutt the guy in the wheelchair
    3. I thought Zizou was going to headbutt Christiano Ronaldo
    4. I thought Zizou was going to headbutt somebody
    5. I really want to shag Melanie
    6. The European Player of the year awards are a joke after seeing who got them
    7. Melanie, Melanie, Melanie

What is her second name?? She is awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement