Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Group Stage Draw

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    What is her second name?? She is awesome.
    I don't know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

RONALDO..... FOOTBALLER OF THE YEAR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't know

I think it's Melanie Winiger. I think that's her anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Melanie Winiger...

340x.jpg

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    RONALDO..... FOOTBALLER OF THE YEAR
    Yeah I suppose most people would have given it to him with all the goals he scored, but I personally think he is the second best player in the United team after Wayne Rooney.
    I think Vidic should have got defender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

melanie_karte_front.jpg

Ah you would yeah.

Just about... ya.... =P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

stupidly easy group for chelsea, thats a poor uefa cup group in truth

easy passage for man utd too, they will be qualified after 4 games no problem

arsenal should get through in theirs with porto, i don't think Fenerbahce will be anywhere near as effective as last season.

liverpool in the toughest group by far, lost to marseille last season at home, i can see that group going to the final game with all teams still in the hunt.

No it doesn't - there is a difference between the results of an individual penalty and two 90 minute matches. Is that too difficult for you to understand?

I have not said the awards reflect the true standings. What I said was that there was no difference between the teams - and, as such, the awards did not HAVE to go to Utd players.

Again the Premier league is irrelevant. A couple of goals difference in the CL also is unimportant. This was not an award for the better defensive unit - but for the better center back and goalkeeper. I think that if Utd had been able to swap one of Ferdinand / Vidic for Terry and VDS for Cech they would have been a better side over the course of the competition. And therefore I think the awards made sense.

But hey, the football coaches who voted for the awards are wrong and you are right hey? Carry on.
    I wouldnt swap Rio for Terry in a million years. Rio is an infinitely better footballer. Terry is in the same boat as Lampard...horrendously over hyped.

I didnt say they had to go to United players. Cech deserved it. Hell if not Rio then Carvalho deserved it more, but he doesnt get the same hype. Same with Ballack.

Almost all pundits and managers raved about United being Europes best team last year but likewise u know better ;). Anyway im breaking the rules of my sig here so alas Im done with u.

Actually I changed my mind on terry...we couldnt have won it without him...viva John Terry! :pac:

I thought Essien should have bagged the midfielder award.

• Advertisement

Almost all pundits and managers raved about United being Europes best team last year but likewise u know better ;). Anyway im breaking the rules of my sig here so alas Im done with u.

But they then voted as they did today? Sorry I disagree with you and I ignore what the majority of fans and pundits say about football. I'm afraid that doesn't make me an idiot though. Even if I can see why it would suit you to pass me off as such.

I wouldnt swap Rio for Terry in a million years. Rio is an infinitely better footballer. Terry is in the same boat as Lampard...horrendously over hyped.

I didnt say they had to go to United players. Cech deserved it. Hell if not Rio then Carvalho deserved it more, but he doesnt get the same hype. Same with Ballack.

Actually I changed my mind on terry...we couldnt have won it without him...viva John Terry! :pac:

Vidic>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ferdinand/

eagle eye wrote: »
    Vidic>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ferdinand/

Nonsense......Vidic + Ferdinand = awesome. Vidic makes Rio a better player and a few years ago Rio would fall apart without Vida.

Vidic minus Ferdinand = too slow and liable gets caught out by pacey attackers. Still very effective but nowhere near as watertight as with Rio.

Ferdinand minus Vidic = watch Uniteds 2 games with Barca this year, he was amazing in both legs when United effectively defended for most of the first leg and a lot of the second leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Group E aside, what an incredibly dull draw. Nothing stands out, except for maybe (perhaps) Real Vs Juve.

Too many places on offer IMO.

Disagree 100%^^^ on the Vidic > Ferdinand, but whatever.

I was thinking earlier, and thought it was interesting to not the quality of both 1st and 2nd group winner for the K.O. Now, usually there is always alot of quality in the K.O, but this year especially, it looks like 1st and 2nd seeds in the K.O stages will be very evenly matched...

gimmick wrote: »
    Group E aside, what an incredibly dull draw. Nothing stands out, except for maybe (perhaps) Real Vs Juve.

Too many places on offer IMO.

A

Chelsea
    Roma

Bordeaux
    CFR 1907 Cluj (ROM)

B

Inter Milan
    Werder Bremen
    Panathinaikos
    Anorthosis (CYP)

C

Barcelona
    Sporting Lisbon
    Basel
    Shaktar Donetsk

D

Liverpool
    PSV
    Marseille
    Athletico Madrid

E

Man Utd
    Villarreal
    Celtic

Aalborg BK (DEN)

F

Lyon
    Bayern Munich
    Steaua Bucaresti
    Fiorentina

G

Arsenal
    Porto
    Fenerbache
    Dynamo Kiev

H

Real Madrid
    Juventus
    Zenit St. Petersburg

BATE Borisov (BLR)

Yeah, not agreeing with that.

But they then voted as they did today? Sorry I disagree with you and I ignore what the majority of fans and pundits say about football. I'm afraid that doesn't make me an idiot though. Even if I can see why it would suit you to pass me off as such.

U would disagree because as a Liverpool fan u have your deep ingrained hatred of United which is obvious in other posts you have made before. I never ever once have ever tried to discredit Liverpools CL win in 05, and I wont, because penalties or not, on the night they got the job done and deserved their win. Yet u have tried to do exactly that to united hence my opinion of you.

The managers I referred to were the EPL managers whose interviews I watched and read coming up to the CL Final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

I wouldnt swap Rio for Terry in a million years. Rio is an infinitely better footballer.

Obviously Im biased but come on ffs! Infinitely better? Give me Terry any day of the week.

Edit: Back on topic,a nice handy group for Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I haven't seen much of aguero so i'm lookin forward to a madrid's matches against liverpool.

I haven't seen much of aguero so i'm lookin forward to a madrid's matches against liverpool.

Wouldn't bother, considering how much the Torres vs Aguero hype will surround the game, you can bet your house on neither performing, with Kuyt/ Forlan scoring the winner.

• Advertisement

U would disagree because as a Liverpool fan u have your deep ingrained hatred of United which is obvious in other posts you have made before. I never ever once have ever tried to discredit Liverpools CL win in 05, and I wont, because penalties or not, on the night they got the job done and deserved their win. Yet u have tried to do exactly that to united hence my opinion of you.

The managers I referred to were the EPL managers whose interviews I watched and read coming up to the CL Final.

But I will also say that Liverpool were not the better team on the night in 2005!! I thoroughly enjoyed that night and will never forget it - but I am not deluded enough to believe that it made us the "best team in europe" because we worked our balls off; rode our luck; and had the nerve from the penalty spot. The reality was that if the tie was played 10 times, Milan win about seven of them.

If I have "ingrained hatred" of United - at least I don't have a level of faith and love in Liverpool that it disables my critical faculty and the ability to think logically about things involving them.

And again, don't you realize that EPL managers saying that Utd are the best team in Europe is kind of beside the point as far as these awards are concerned? And is hardly a forum that is likely to have a good grasp of football as a whole across Europe?

Nonsense......Vidic + Ferdinand = awesome. Vidic makes Rio a better player and a few years ago Rio would fall apart without Vida.

Vidic minus Ferdinand = too slow and liable gets caught out by pacey attackers. Still very effective but nowhere near as watertight as with Rio.

Ferdinand minus Vidic = watch Uniteds 2 games with Barca this year, he was amazing in both legs when United effectively defended for most of the first leg and a lot of the second leg.
    This really belongs in the United thread. Vidic is the best centre half in the world imo. Toure is the second best in the PL and you can pick whoever you want after that.

1st;
    Chelsea
    Inter
    Barca
    Liverpool
    Man Utd
    Bayern
    Arsenal
    Madrid

2nd;
    Roma
    Bremen
    Sporting
    Atletico
    Villareal
    Fiorentina
    Porto
    Juventus

That means our potential K.O teams are Roma, Bremen, Fiorentina, Porto and Juventus. It's not unfathomable to consider Juve finishing first with Madrid 2nd, that would eliminate them. I think we are well capable of making it to the quarters, with our hardest possible match against Juventus. I know, I know, I'm getting ahead of myself.

eZe^ wrote: »
    I know, I know, I'm getting ahead of myself.

lol, glad you noted that!!

Well, I have to learn how to occupy myself until La Liga starts up man.. Masturbation has gotten old... :p:p I kid, I kid!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Don't know why anyone cares about the individual awards. I would have been happier for Ronaldo to lose out, he has a big enough head as it is. Essien being nominated for midfielder when he played most of the important games at right back sums up the thought that went into it tbh. Just there to drag out the show a bit.

Good draw for Utd fans with trips to Spain, Scotland and Denmark. No trips to Eastern europe and Turkey. Would like to see the order of the games. Personally like to play Celtic or Villareal away first up. Utd should win the 3 home games hopefully. Should be in the top 2 but may lose away to Villareal I think leaving top spot up in the air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

eZe^ wrote: »
    Wouldn't bother, considering how much the Torres vs Aguero hype will surround the game, you can bet your house on neither performing, with Kuyt/ Forlan scoring the winner.

Yea you're probably right, Torres will take a lot of the attention.

Hopefully though it will be Keane who scores ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I think Van der Sar was extremely unlucky not to win the goalkeeper award, he was excellent in the Champions League last season.
    As for the draw itself, Liverpool's has the potential to be difficult, they should go through but they can't afford to play like they did against Liege or they'll find themselves in trouble. The Real, Juve and Zenith group will be an interesting one, and the one with Lyon, Bayern and Fiorentina will hopefully throw up some good matches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

The fixtures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Bluetonic wrote: »
    The fixtures.

Thanks for that. Good set of games for Utd. Both the hard away games are a bit later giving Ronaldo a bit of time to find his feet.

Advertisement